Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

$320 DSO. 100Ms/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Software doesn't matter if the capture buffer is too small. If it's only 1k at the full sampling rate of 100mhz you're only going to have a capture window of 10 micro seconds. If the capture buffer is 32k or so it might be useable, but I somehow doubt it, they have another scope on the site that advertises 32k sample buffer per channel but it's 80mhz and is 420 dollars so I'm gonna hazzard a guess the capture buffer is pretty tiny, especially if it's not listed.

Maybe a design flaw and they are unloading this. But it says it is a sale. :)

I will email them for the buffer size, but I am starting to think I will pass on it. And I have an portable analog DSO. Just thought I could take it to work a lot easier.

What do you suppose this means? (see area highlighted in yellow)

Attachments

• DSO specs.PNG
    DSO specs.PNG
    18.7 KB · Views: 137
Means absolutely nothing as far as the DSO's features go.
It's the PC's software limit for storage of received information.
Every cell in my being says don't buy this thing =) Especially for 300+ bucks. You can get better for less used.

Sceadwian said:
Every cell in my being says don't buy this thing =) Especially for 300+ bucks. You can get better for less used.

I'll agree there. The advertisements/website/etc look rather poorly made, and the device looks like it could be very cheaply made as well. And, the software looks like it's probably pretty crappy also. $320 is a bit too good to be true for what they are advertising, so chances are it's really not very good.

evandude said:
I'll agree there. The advertisements/website/etc look rather poorly made, and the device looks like it could be very cheaply made as well. And, the software looks like it's probably pretty crappy also. $320 is a bit too good to be true for what they are advertising, so chances are it's really not very good.

At $100 it would probably be a decent buy, but not at $320!.

Sceadwian said:
Means absolutely nothing as far as the DSO's features go.
It's the PC's software limit for storage of received information.

Where is better for less found? Used does not bother me on solidstate. Ebay? I have the itch now..

Before Christmas I was shopping scopes all over Ebay. Outbid everytime as I was not 100% needing one. But there was a Tek DS2024 or something like that.. It was something. Darn thing went for like $1500. But it was awesume.

If you have the itch for a decent scope and have limited funds you can spend hours and hours on e-bay hunting an pecking individual bargains. The first thing you need to know is exactly what you need a scope for =) I bid on the first hunk of junk that came up on my screen and (including shipping and handling) got a 500khz dual trace scope for 30 bucks. Best purchase I ever made =)

In case I missed it, what's your current scope, and what do you use it for? I think the only mention you made your your scope was it was 20mhz? If it's analog it will probably out perform that digital jobbie by 10 to 1 for usefulness. 100 M/s's is nice. But Divide by four is barely human readable, Divide by 8 or 16 is better for human viewing, in which case the scope is only good for around 6mhz, if you need real signal resolution it's more like 1mhz or less.

I have a 20Mhz storage scope. I like it. I was thinking portable with my laptop. Budget is my problem.. I will go look on Ebay some more. Maybe get a nice 100Mhz for home and that the 20Mhz to the office and leave it there might be a better answer. Cost wise.

I got a reply from World Educational Services regarding the probes. The probes are switchable between 1X and 10X.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back