Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3-Phase Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin171985

Hello,

I'm working on a project with my school and Bosch that deals with creating a 3-Phase Converter that converts Single Phase power to 3-Phase power, and I need help with the Materials list and what all is needed to make this work.

It's supposed to be a Rotary 3-Phase Converter, and if at all possible.. we would rather go around having to use compacitors in this project, cause it just seems to be easier that way to me :).

Any help with this would be great.. I have found a few sites that give very detailed information on what the converter does and everything, but does not mention any parts or anything of that nature.

Thanks a lot for any help with this project,
Justin.

Justin171985 said:
It's supposed to be a Rotary 3-Phase Converter, and if at all possible.. we would rather go around having to use compacitors in this project, cause it just seems to be easier that way to me :).

Perhaps it's me that's old?, but a rotary converter is simply a motor feeding an alternator. So for your project, you would have a single phase motor mechanically driving a 3 phase alternator.

Hello,

I'm not sure if this method or what is old or not, but this project just seems a lot harder than any project that we have ever had to do at schoold since I have been in this program. :(

Justin.

Justin171985 said:
Hello,

I'm not sure if this method or what is old or not, but this project just seems a lot harder than any project that we have ever had to do at schoold since I have been in this program. :(

Justin.

Rotary converters were actually well before my time, but they were commonly used for powering valve (tube) equipment from batteries. After the second world large quantities were available on the surplus market, many came out of planes.

Seeing as Bosch are famous for electrical motors, it seems like a suitable project for them to be involved in.

A small 3 phase motor can be wired to "convert" single phase power to 3 phase. The small motor has to be spinning first - usually done with a single phase motor then disconnected once the process has started. They do work but because of imbalances the motor output won't be 100%. It does work - my brother made several a few years ago until he had 3 phase power put into his shop. Look in electrical handbooks that are on the older side - maybe 30 yrs or more. Sorry I don't have schematic that I can post.

Just to clarify - the small 3 phase motor spins freely - not connected to anything once it's spinning. If I am not mistaken the small motor might be 2 hp to supply converted power to a 5 hp motor.

A motor-generator is simply a single phase motor turning a 3 phase generator - thats another "rotary" way to do it.

phase converters

I cannot add anything to this discussion from the electrical point of view. However, I have used phase converters and thought that you might be interested in a couple of generalities from experience.

Phase converters made of capacitor banks have two limitations:
1 the device will not have full power available to it. In other words, a power tool with a 3 phase electric motor, will not be as powerful (lower torque) as it would be if operating on "real" 3 phase power.
2 the phase converter made of capacitors (sometimes referred to as solid state or static phase converters), operate motors of a limited power range. In other words, one designed for a 5 h.p. motor cannot be used on a 2 h.p. motor.

By contrast, the rotary phase converter will operate at or nearly at full power and will power a motor or several motors simultaeneously from o to maximum rated power.

You might find the following conversation of interest: **broken link removed**

just take a look at www.tinaja.com Look up" magic sinewaves".
I managed to convert one of the tables of data to a lookup table for a PIC16F84, and now have a variable speed 3 phase driver running from DC.

Hello,

I'm coming along pretty good on this project now, and thanks to those that have replied to my post(s) and help me along the way.... if anyone happens to know also where I could find some 3-Phase Converter Blueprints, this would be a great help in progress for me :)

Thanks in Advance,
Justin.

3 phase converter

A friend built one some years ago and I designed and built a phase meter for him to assist with adjustment.

I could ask him for a copy of the circuit (schematic) if you wish.

Len

can i also have a copy of the blueprint.

I have 5HP, 3 phase motor but m not sure how to run it with single phase supply. can anyone give me also a schematic wiring diagram on how to connect a 2HP motor to the 5 HP 3 Phase motor.

my email add is mok_ong@yahoo.com

tnx :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back