Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

24 vac diode

Status
Not open for further replies.

gestern1

Can someone out there tell me how to put a diode in a 24 vac circuit? I am installing a motion detector on a sprinkler circuit and need to for the motion detector to turn on the sprinkler valves (main and zone). I need to put a diode in the motion sensor line so the main and zone valves do not feed back through the motion circuit.
If there is such a thing as a 24 vac diode, what am I looking for?
I know enough about electronics to wire circuits but when it comes to changing voltages and such, I am at a loss.
Thanks,
Mike

Can someone out there tell me how to put a diode in a 24 vac circuit? I am installing a motion detector on a sprinkler circuit and need to for the motion detector to turn on the sprinkler valves (main and zone). I need to put a diode in the motion sensor line so the main and zone valves do not feed back through the motion circuit.
If there is such a thing as a 24 vac diode, what am I looking for?
I know enough about electronics to wire circuits but when it comes to changing voltages and such, I am at a loss.
Thanks,
Mike
WELCOME Gestern1 to Electro-Tech-Online !
Why not use a relay and control it by the coil?
Of course you can use an opto-diac like MOC3020, buffered by a TriAC from outside.

Last edited:
opto-diac

I thought about using a relay but I can't seem to find a 24 vac relay locally.
As I mentioned in my posting, I am at a loss when it comes to changing voltages and that kind of stuff so help me out with "layman terms" when replying and offering any suggestions. Thanks.

A diode rectifies AC to DC.

What is the output of the motion detector?

If it's a standard 110V motion detector that operates a light, then you could wire the light output to a 110VAC coil relay that will connect the 24VAC sprinkler voltage to the sprinkler.

If you can't find such a relay locally, you can order from such websites as Digikey or Mouser 110vac relay.

Thanks crutschow.
My neighbor had a 24vdc relay and using a diode bridge we were able to use the 24 vac to power the relay, thus being able to complete the circuits to the valves.
Thanks to all who helped.
Mike

Thanks crutschow.
My neighbor had a 24vdc relay and using a diode bridge we were able to use the 24 vac to power the relay, thus being able to complete the circuits to the valves.
Thanks to all who helped.
Mike
Nice that you managed the issue. Congratulations Mike
!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back