Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

220 Compressor timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman67

Hello everyone, Well I just can't seem to find anything on this. I can't believe I'm the only one trying to do this. Well here is what I want to do.
1. push a button and turn on the compressor for 1, 2 or 4 hrs. (count down timer)
2. then the timers shuts off
3. the switch would be located in my garage, (the compressor is located in a sound proof box in the basement)
4. I would be able to tell if the timer is on/off

I've seen the 120v -2, 4, 6 or 8hr switches and currently use them on my baseboard heaters. but I just haven't seen a 220v. Should I use the pressure switch all ready installed on the compressor? but have you seen a timer to run that?

Any input would be much appreciated!

Can you use a 120V timer and use that to control a 110V coil relay with contacts that will handle 220V?

Perhaps the easiest is to open up one of the 120V units you're familiar with and see if it uses a relay to turn the object on/off. If so, check its power rating. If suitable, use its' 120V relay contacts as one side of your 220V. This also presumes a USA type 220V feed, being 2 120V legs of opposite phase. You could put the timer control as the switch, it probably has a light when object is on.

To your point, I don't remember seeing any 220V native power control stuff. I guess they presume you'll have a neutral available for 120V use.

Should I use the pressure switch all ready installed on the compressor?

I guess I don't understand why you would want a timer? The compressor has a pressure switch so when tank pressure drops the compressor runs. The pressure switch also prevents the compressor from over charging the tank as well as likely preventing the compressor motor from seeing a greater load than it was intended to see.

Also, in line with OlPhart, what is the mains power? Such as 220/240 VAC US mains? Should the compressor have a contactor already controlling the motor then that could likely be used, however, this goes back to the pressure switch and the reason(s) it exist.

Ron

I guess I don't understand why you would want a timer? The compressor has a pressure switch so when tank pressure drops the compressor runs. The pressure switch also prevents the compressor from over charging the tank as well as likely preventing the compressor motor from seeing a greater load than it was intended to see.

Also, in line with OlPhart, what is the mains power? Such as 220/240 VAC US mains? Should the compressor have a contactor already controlling the motor then that could likely be used, however, this goes back to the pressure switch and the reason(s) it exist.

Ron

Well, all compressors leak and will run when it isn't being used and I'm tidying up my energy usage. I'm a do a little bit of everything type of guy from Painting, to air tools, to not using the compressor for days. The built in relay, could be used by severing the 120V line and putting a switch on that but I'm hoping for a store bought switch. I could use a Altronix 6062 Programmable Timer Module but that a somewhat of a pain. (I have that running my rope lights going down my steps in the basement switched by security pads under the carpet on the top and bottom steps). But that doesn't give me a nice LED light with a manual switch!

Perhaps the easiest is to open up one of the 120V units you're familiar with and see if it uses a relay to turn the object on/off. If so, check its power rating. If suitable, use its' 120V relay contacts as one side of your 220V. This also presumes a USA type 220V feed, being 2 120V legs of opposite phase. You could put the timer control as the switch, it probably has a light when object is on.

I've read that one other place, I guess my thoughts about using one leg was that it would still pull some amps, wouldn't it hummm and not have enough power?? I have no clue on that one!

Is this a US power system? Adding another relay may not be necessary... <<<)))

By being just one 120V leg to the opposite leg, the load is current balanced already. Key here is that the timer/switch feeds one leg, the opposing 120V leg is direct to the compressor. No current flows when timer/switch is off.

Last edited:
Ok, so if the relay in the timer/switch can handle the compressors' load, its' output feeds one leg to the compressor. The other leg of the 220V is directly to the compressor. It's a little unconventional, but totally workable. <<<)))

OK with the information provided I'll tell you what I would think about doing.

The system has a pressure switch which should be a normally closed switch. When the tank pressure is above a set limit the pressure switch opens. When the pressure drops below a limit the switch closes. This low pressure closure causes the compressor motor contactor to pull in and power the motor. The motor will run till the tank pressure exceeds the set pressure limit of the switch, the switch opens and the compressor motor stops.

A dry contact relay output from a timer could be placed in parallel with the pressure switch. When the timer relay was energized the compressor would run. However, since the pressure control switch is for all purposes bypassed the compressor will run until the mechanical relief valve bleeds off pressure and still continue to run. Thus, while simple, not a good idea.

I assume the compressor has a main On/Off switch? Should that be true, then the dry contacts of the timer could be placed in parallel with that switch. This assumes the switch only switches power for the compressor contactor coil. If the timer does not have dry relay contacts out and just provides a 120 VAC On/Off then the timer could drive a small 120 VAC relay and it could be used to switch the compressors control voltage on and off.

This is where a schematic of the compressor's control circuit would be nice to have. The compressor's motor is obviously 240 VAC but how it all works is sort of unknown. Some use a 240 VAC coil on the contactor and some use 120 VAC coils running off a small control transformer (240/120 VAC). Can you post the make and model as a schematic may exist online.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back