Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2.5mm Veroboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
Is there such a thing?

Scenario: I have to make a wire-to-wire connector out of wire-to-pcb connectors. The male connector is 2.5mm pitch through-hole wire-to-board only...and I hate the work involved and results of soldering wires to directly to through hole pins. Obviously I don't want to pay to have such a trivial PCB made, nor do I want to go to the trouble of etching my own.

Last edited:
dk... this is a really strange post for you. Almost all perf/veroboard is 2.54mm's. That's .1 inches.

Oh, pshhh so it is! 2.5 mm doesn't register to me as 0.1" like 2.54mm does.

I always wondered why I saw 2.54mm specd pin spacings on parts, playing around with a calculator one day trying to get a simple equation stuck in my head for converting mm to inches the .1" = 2.54mm came up. It's an easy ratio to remember and it's exact. I'm not so good at memorizing equations for direct conversion so remembering the equivalence numbers helps me if I don't have a conversion calculator around.

Last edited:
Isn't that how everyone remembers conversion? Remember two equivelant units and then use cross multiplication to get them?

I used to use 1 inch = 2.54cm a lot, but I am using 1" = 25.4mm more and more now since once you are actually out of school, it seems more things are specced in mm than in cm (makes sense since cm is kind of the odd one out in the SI hierarchy...being n/100th of something rather than n/1000th of a meter).

Last edited:
For small components it doesn't matter whether it's 2.54 or 2.5 but for larger components it does.

I remember having to drill the holes slightly larger for a 40-pin DIL when I used a pitch of 2.5 instead of 2.54. :(

I wonder if that will become a problem for 6-pins. Either way, it seems I can frakenstein together some stuff products form various manufacturerse to get what I want.

This was the problem- My LiPo charger uses proprietary balance tap connector that no other battery/charger manufacturers use. If I use another brand of battery, I have to use an adapter or replace the connectors on the battery pack. I don't want to use their adapters because they are seriously overpriced, ugly, and lack functionality.

The manufacturers of my charger also make it a pain in the ass to do anything with their connectors. They don't sell loose connectors- they only sell them preinstalled with open ended wires as a harness. It makes it so you can't simply take the adapter from another manufacturer, chop of the original connector and crimp their connector to the wires so you can use it with their charger. You have to either chop of the original adapter connector and wire splice, or desolder the original connector wire from the adapter and solder their harness on.

But there is the manufacturer of another charger that produces much cheaper and MUCH nicer adapters for their chargers. They also happen to sell loose connectors for their chargers and their adapter has a charger<->adapter cable that plugs into the adapter. So I'm going to take one of their loose connectors and connect install it onto the open ended connector-wire assembly of my charger. Then I have a nice neat splice-free, solder-free cable to go between the better adapter and my charger.

Yes, I don't like to splice wires if I don't have to. I don't like the way they look heatshrinked or not. And I'm not going to pay $15 for a cheaply made adapter when every other adapter out there is $5 of better quality. ANd if you don't sell your proprietary connectors as loose parts that makes it seem like you want to corner people looking for alternatives, especially people who aren't willing to open up the adapters or have wire splices all over their charger setup.

Last edited:
I doubt it will be a problem with 6 pins, I've used 16 pin DILs with no problem. The pins will bend a bit and the hole clearance will both help. I wouldn't push it beyond 16 pins though.

40 pins x .4mm ofset = 1.6mm maximum offset
[(2.5mm + 1.6mm) - 2.5mm] / 2.5mm = 0.36

36% tolerance...I wonder if that's out of spec? :D

A = B and B = C then A=C
but if A~B and B~C, then A ~ C is false? Pshaw.

Last edited:
40 pins x .4mm ofset = 1.6mm maximum offset

Actually its 39 SPACES of 2.54mm between the 40 pins. :) So thats 39 x 0.04 = 1.56mm

And the error is halved, ie you solder the middle pins aligned, and each end then has (1.56mm /2) or 0.78mm offset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back