Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cutting a veroboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best tool to cut a veroboard into smaller pieces? The veroboard that I got from my local electronics shop is far too big.

hi,
You can use a fine toothed saw and cut along a row of holes, after cutting clean off any rough edges with fine sand paper.

I use a Utility knife with very sharp blade to score along a row of holes , using a metal steel rule as a guide for the blade.
Its VERY important if you do it this way to score the copper track side, ensure that the blade cuts thru the copper, else when you snap the cut board you will peel off the copper tracks!!!!

Snap the board along the score using the edge of a table/bench as resting place for the board.

This way works well for SRBP boards but is difficult with EXPOXY boards.

Always clean up the edges with fine sand paper after cutting.

Thanks for the fast reply!

Too bad I do not have a saw at the moment. All I have now is a paper cutter and an all-in-one pocket knife that has different types of blades. Can i used any of them instead?

I just use a piece of broken hacksaw blade fine teeth around 32 tpi ,, but as eric mentioned make sure you file or sandpaper the edges as the copper track can short out on each other if left

Bernie

Forgot to mention that i cut the board longways through the holes not on the thin edge

bernie

I usually score the board, then put it in my vice and snap it in two.
I find it hard to cut it with a saw because the board is so flimsy.

I like using a dremel, although it creates a bit of dust that isn't too good to breathe, so usually do it outside, but you have to careful around the copper tracks because if you are using a low quality board, the tracks can come up because of the glue on them. Scoring the board works good for straight line, just make a few passes to ensure a good cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back