Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1500Kwatt battery pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDEB

I am amazed that such a battery pack can be built. This is equivalent to 2000 horse power.
**broken link removed**
In testing they were blowing 800 amp fuses.

I am amazed that such a battery pack can be built. This is equivalent to 2000 horse power.
**broken link removed**
In testing they were blowing 800 amp fuses.

I don't see anything really amazing in it at all - what power were submarine batteries way back in WWII and since?, pretty high I would have thought?.

I don't find blowing an 800A fuse very startling either, a car battery will melt a spanner.

Making a huge battery pack is simply a matter of connecting smaller batteries together, the clever bit is making it small enough to fit in a car :D

The very small and lightweight Li-Po batteries that make my radio controlled model airplanes go like a rocket are very powerful:

Attachments

• powerful Li-Po battery.jpg
    powerful Li-Po battery.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 201
The article isn't quite correct:

The Brad Hadman-built, Mike Gerry-conceived dragster operates on a 1500-kilowatt array of lithium polymer (LiPo) batteries that produce an equivalent energy rating of more than 2000 horsepower.

746 watts = 1 horsepower. (Remember this because it's half the year Columbus "discovered" America.)

This is a given. But batteries are rated in terms of amp-hours. A battery may be able to put out 1500 kW, but the question is for how long. You need to know how long the battery can put out this power to make sense of the claims.

The battery Uncle Scrooge posted can supply 700 amps peak, so blowning an 800 amp fuse isn't that impressive.

WWII Fleet Submarines had battery banks that could supply 15,000 amps at 350 volts, about 7000 horsepower. Each of two battery banks was rated at about 4000 amp-hours.

Of course, this is 70 year old technology, using lead-acid cells – 252 cells weighing about 500 kg each if my quick read was correct.

WWII Fleet Submarines had battery banks that could supply 15,000 amps at 350 volts, about 7000 horsepower. Each of two battery banks was rated at about 4000 amp-hours.

I knew they were huge! :D

There were a load of casings for them thrown down an old quarry where I use to live near, they came from a battery manufacturer about five miles away - we presumed they were submarine batteries because of their huge size (long and relatively thin).

I hope ol Big Daddy Don Garlitts can go 200mph. I didn't see how much the car weight's.
Still impressive. Looking forward to the ET in a quarter mile at 200mph.

I hope ol Big Daddy Don Garlitts can go 200mph. I didn't see how much the car weight's.
Still impressive. Looking forward to the ET in a quarter mile at 200mph.

We're not saying we're not impressed by the car (although if you look back in history there were some pretty impressive electric car records a VERY, VERY long time ago), just that we're not impressed by the battery :D

EDIT: Just did a quick google, 200+mph is no big news :p

All the cars exceeding 200mph were on a track longer than 1,492 feet (quarter mile)
Big Daddy is on a quarter mile track which makes it even harder. A basically stock Prius has gone 134mph on a closed public highway in Nevada.
200mph in a quarter mile is a big accomplishment.
The battery has one heck of a drain on it. Curious as to how much battery life after the quarter mile run??

...The battery has one heck of a drain on it. Curious as to how much battery life after the quarter mile run??

If by "battery life" you mean charge, the ideal answer is ZERO. You want to suck as much energy out as possible; if there's energy left at the end of the run, you're hauling around extra weight that's not needed.

MrDEB said:
All the cars exceeding 200mph were on a track longer than 1,492 feet (quarter mile)
Big Daddy is on a quarter mile track which makes it even harder.

Which is why I suggested Ultracapacitors in post #2. At 1:57 in that video, a comparison is made between battery & ultracap ESR and its effect on instantaneous current supply. Ultracaps far outperform batteries for burst current applications such as short duration high speed EV racing.

But how big of an ultracapaciator would be required? The battery pack is 1300 li-po battery cells outputting 420 volts.
Then would the capacitors hold enough charge to travel the quarter mile?
Wonder if using capacitors was even considered. Interesting point ramuna.
Come June 8th we will see if they get that dragster to 200mph.

MrDEB said:
But how big of an ultracapaciator would be required? The battery pack is 1300 li-po battery cells outputting 420 volts.
Then would the capacitors hold enough charge to travel the quarter mile?
Wonder if using capacitors was even considered.

Have a look at the "Energy density and power density" section here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercapacitor#Energy_density_and_power_density
and in particular at the Ragone chart. The best power source for the racing application would be the furthest from the origin and along the x = y diagonal (ie both high energy density and power density). The chart speaks for itself.

As far as using capacitors was even considered, have a look at: **broken link removed**

Please can we convince the world to label batteries in Wh?
12v x 83Ah ( a largish car battery ) = 996 Watt Hours = 1kW = 1 unit of electricity = £0.1 GBP worth of power = not really worth charging from your solar, unless you're off-grid.
Too many people get PV and then think they're onto a winner with this. I've learned that the above approach sinks in quickly with most people.

The capacity of a SLA battery depends on the discharge current and temperature among other things. The Ah value is therefore a little misleading which in turn makes the Watt equally so without bringing other factors into the equation don't you think? Why change things? I'd find a a battery description of 12V 996Wh harder to understand than 12V 83Ah, at least it gives you an idea of what the battery is capable of?

The capacity of a SLA battery depends on the discharge current and temperature among other things. The Ah value is therefore a little misleading which in turn makes the Watt equally so without bringing other factors into the equation don't you think? Why change things? I'd find a a battery description of 12V 996Wh harder to understand than 12V 83Ah, at least it gives you an idea of what the battery is capable of?

Yeah, but 996 WH answers the question of how big is the battery better than 83AH. If you have 1kWH worth of batteries, you can connect them as 2V x 500AH or 500V x 2AH, and regardless of the wastly different AH rating both condigurations can be buit by simply re-arranging the same cells, which are 1kWH no matter what you do with them.

Big Daddy is on a quarter mile track which makes it even harder.

Not for the electric car. The wight of batteries is directly proportional to their capacity. If you would go 1 mile, you would need to haul 4 times more batteries than for the 1/4 mile run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back