Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

120volt 4 LED night light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try a few things and see what you get. However, replacing a 120 watt incandescent bulb with a small handful of LEDs will be a task.

Ron

I have an LED light that is an equivalent of 100W incandescent. It is tube shaped and has maybe 8 rows of 7 leds, or something like that, I'm too lazy to get up right now. The rows stretch around the whole circular portion of the lightbulb. Glows nice 'n bright and comes on full brightness instantly :)
It also consumes a teensy 8W!

It is a fact that all LED lights naturally flicker at a rate of approximately 60 Hz per second. Even though that is an extremely fast rate of speed, there are some individuals who can actually detect the flickering at that rate. This is known as a half wave, also called non-rectified light. This type of light is common to various Christmas LED light sets and may be more easily detected if the lights or the individual are moving. Unfortunately, this flickering in non-rectified lights is a common complaint of consumers in regards to some inexpensive Christmas lights.

You are spot-on, I have led lights on my Christmas tree and they flicker, much more noticeably when walking around the room.

However my 100W equiv. LED light has no flicker whatsoever.

-Ben

Last edited:
I have an LED light that is an equivalent of 100W incandescent. It is tube shaped and has maybe 8 rows of 7 leds, or something like that, I'm too lazy to get up right now. The rows stretch around the whole circular portion of the lightbulb. Glows nice 'n bright and comes on full brightness instantly :)
It also consumes a teensy 8W!

You are spot-on, I have led lights on my Christmas tree and they flicker, much more noticeably when walking around the room.

However my 100W equiv. LED light has no flicker whatsoever.

-Ben

OK, that does it! Now I will have to drive a few LEDs with a pulse generator to see when I stop seeing flicker. One of those things I never gave much thought to, likely because I just don't notice it at 60 Hz. Sort of funny. :)

However, I feel for those who do notice it. That has to suck. I can't imagine. It would drive me nuts.

As to the original post, without looking back, I believe he was after the equivalent of 150 watts with a few LEDs as in maybe 6?

Ron

OK, I stand corrected. I can't notice the difference or flicker at 60 Hz. but apparently some people can.

Try a few things and see what you get. However, replacing a 120 watt incandescent bulb with a small handful of LEDs will be a task.

Ron

OK, that does it! Now I will have to drive a few LEDs with a pulse generator to see when I stop seeing flicker. One of those things I never gave much thought to, likely because I just don't notice it at 60 Hz. Sort of funny. :)

However, I feel for those who do notice it. That has to suck. I can't imagine. It would drive me nuts.

As to the original post, without looking back, I believe he was after the equivalent of 150 watts with a few LEDs as in maybe 6?

Ron

Yeah I am sensitive to the flicker, mainly from fluorescent lights. It doesn't give me headaches, I just notice it but it doesn't bother me which is good :)

A 150W equiv. LED light with say 5 LEDs would mean that each LED would have to put out about 500 lumens! :eek:

-Ben

The mains here is 50 Hz, so even rectified LEDs flicker at 100 Hz.

However some of the Christmas lights have a smoothing capacitor already fitted. I've added capacitors to those of mine that didn't have them at first.

The capacitors can be much lower than you might expect. The current will vary a lot during each half-cycle, but as long as the LEDs do not turn completely off, the flickering is almost impossible to see.

With a capacitor fitted, it can take a minute or so for the current to fade to where the LEDs turn off completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back