Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12 volt timer switch circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy007

Hi
Im building a project kit car at home and need some help.

I need a very simple 12v 0 to 10 second timer. What it needs to do is this.
When the ignition is turned, a +12v will be sent from the ign-switch to the timer, activating the timer for upto 10 secs to illuminate a max 1w bulb on the dashbord then go opencircuit or switch off after the 10 secs. Similar to the way the engine management system or door lights work when you start your car.

It would be great if you could show a diagram with components so enen a idiot like me could follow and install it.

Many thanks in advance

Andy007

forget the duel coil relay

here is a very easy circuit that requires very few parts
about $5 or less to build.
the base resistor may need to be adjusted.

Attachments

• Capture4-14-2009-2.57.48 AM.jpg
    Capture4-14-2009-2.57.48 AM.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 4,997
12v switch

hi all

thanks for taking the time to help me. will have a look and let you all know

atb

andy007

Maplin's website is like watching grass grow. Try DigiKey. You don't mention your location?

Ron

thanks 4 that never heard of either site let you know once i build it new to all this pcb. building a timer switch to on my glow plugs before i start the car as you put into key position 1. connected a switch with a varible resistor on the temperature sensor if i forget to of the switch the tool light goes on and the car goes into limp mode and takes ages to go back to normall .i dont know whats wrong with the car checked everything cheers from leicester

Hi

When the ignition is turned, a +12v will be sent from the ign-switch to the timer, activating the timer for upto 10 secs to illuminate a max 1w bulb on the dashbord then go opencircuit or switch off after the 10 secs. Similar to the way the engine management system or door lights work when you start your car.

It would be great if you could show a diagram with components so enen a idiot like me could follow and install it.

Many thanks in advance

Andy007

This circuit should do something like what you need.
When you supply 12VK (ignition key) the relay goes on and keeps that condition for 60/90 seconds.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Hi

Many thanks in advance

Andy007

As Andy stated at the beginning of this thread I am also looking for a circuit design (as simple as possible) for a 12v 10 second (time is not critical) timer. I want my seat belt light to illuminate a 3w bulb on my dashboard. I've looked at the circuits thus far in this thread and I think I can follow the wiring paths but what I would really appreciate is a list of the component parts needed for the circuit design. I can read a schematic but I am not an electronics wiz. Any help would be appreciated.

Jim ...

delay simulation

Will get a BOM for the circuit I posted.
CAUTION if thinking about this circuit https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B7LPpongh6DzYzY0NmM4MWUtZDA2MS00YjlhLWEwYWUtYjcxMzMwOGVmODFj&hl=it
ther relay will cause magic smoke to emit from the 555 as it needs a transistor or ? to prevent blowing the 555.
here is a simulation of the circuit I originally posted with slight changes to the time on.
NOTE I show no output transistor or Mosfet on pin 3 output. Needs to be added.
Boy andrewsblog has one heck of alot of transistors. in that circuit what little I canm see (not very clear the picture, contrast is bad)
Seems it would be easier and cheaper to use a PIC.

This circuit should do something like what you need.
Actually I simulated it with Microcap but I didn't build it, so I'm not sure that the circuit works fine. However you shouldn't damage the output if you use a 12V/140ohm coil (85mA). Anyway do not forget the reverse protection diode, even if you connect the coil by a transistor.

The second circuit schematic I posted has been tested for real...

View attachment 62513

Last edited:
Thank you all for responding to my request. Instead of building my own would this timer switch I found on eBay work for my intended purpose -- turning on a seat belt light on my dashboard for something like 10-15 seconds. I can tap into the car's interior courtesy light as the trigger or I could simply let the activation of the ignition switch be the starting trigger.

**broken link removed**

Your thoughts?

An adjustable (1-90 second) timer-controlled 30A relay For temporary circuit connect/disconnect applications

Maybe I am missing it but they don't say much? Would it be a delay on make or delay on break adjustable? It sounds from what I read that what you want would be a one shot where once triggered it would give a high output for a period of time then go low till triggered again. I am not sure the product linked to does that. Maybe another member has some thoughts?

Ron

I found more info here.
If I was in your shoes I would buy it.
CAUTION: by installing DIY (not certified) devices on your car, you may get problems with insurance companies.
Note that I built my circuit just for fun.

I found more info here.
If I was in your shoes I would buy it.
CAUTION: by installing DIY (not certified) devices on your car, you may get problems with insurance companies.
Note that I built my circuit just for fun.

This clarifies it for me. Thank you very much. I am not concerned about any insurance issues because my car is a 1975 Fiat 124 and I have already made many after market changes. I am going ahead and buying the Directed Electronics Pulse Timer Relay.

Yep, for that price buy it. :) Nice link.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back