Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1 Day Contest, Name this Kit and win the PCB (Ends Sept 10 2008)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say Parrot.

It matches your current naming system. (Animals)

Parrot's are also known for repeating what you say, which is what this kit does. It repeats what you send it via IR, down the Serial link.

-Andrew.

Wow some great names here, going to be hard to pick but we'll announce on Thursday.
The optical IR sensor, 5 LEDs (RA) and 3 pushbuttons (RA) are all along the top of the PCB
All the cables are along the bottom (RS232, RS485/IO, SIRCS/IRBlaster)
The 8pin & 6pin headers are for specialized applications.

The RS485 / Dual Opto In can also be jumpered as direct I/O too.

Wow some great names here, going to be hard to pick but we'll announce on Thursday.

hi Bill,how about

'Control Genie':p

I have a question:

How we are to control T.V/computer via IR, i mean is an IR remote provided?

And what about the LAN connectivity with the device that we are going to connect it to.

Ps: I do like the Relay part makes it versatile.

hi Bill,how about

'Control Genie':p

I have a question:

How we are to control T.V/computer via IR, i mean is an IR remote provided?

And what about the LAN connectivity with the device that we are going to connect it to.

Ps: I do like the Relay part makes it versatile.

Universal IR remotes are a dime a dozen; since the 38kHz sensor just sends raw IR data to the PIC you can decode (with the right firmware) from many IR protocols (just like the Junebug or Firefly kits). As for the relay there are no relays in the design. It can sense a pair of relay coils but not drive a relay without additional circuitry. Sorry no LAN either but the RS485 or RS232 could be connected to a X-Port or computer.

There is a project on the back burners that is an Ethernet to RS485 bridge that may actually be the next kit after this one.

Well I hope they sell better than a flat tire. :)

It should make for an excellent component of a home (flat) automation / entertainment system.

'Flat Controller'....perhaps a bit too obscure, a reference to the fat controller in the 'Thomas the Tank Engine' stories.

btw a 'flat' in the UK is what you might refer to as an 'apartment'.

I'll have to see if any inspiration strikes before midnight, unlikely though because the bottle is empty.

You might also consider using an opto-isolated SSR as an AC or DC relay driver on a future project/product Bill. It's housed in a typical 6 pin opto' type package (through hole or SMD) with a 1.7v 3ma input.

Fairchild HSR312 Data Sheet

You can drive an AC relay (up to 250v/190ma) using the drain-to-drain output connections in series with an AC relay and AC voltage source.

You can drive a DC relay (up to 250v/320ma) using the source + parallel drain output connections in series with a DC relay and DC source.

Mike

Thanks Mike, that's a pretty neat opto. I've updated the schematic and the PCB artwork is done with the TC4424 (common little part)
It has the working title GNAT in keeping with the bug theme but I'm meeting with Gordon on Sunday to settle the silly name stuff.
Here's the current (Final 1.1) schematic in PDF format.

Attachments

• GNAT.pdf
    63.3 KB · Views: 289
Thank you to all of you and those all very good names. Well we did decide on a name that we both liked.

WASP

To be fair to all that entered we're going to put all your names (that entered) in a box and draw 3 winners. I'll post the winners tomorrow evening.

Sorry it took so long to get back about the winners, we appreciate all who entered suggestions.

The PCBs are being manufactured this week and I expect to have the first prototypes early next week.

The winners (random) are Mikebits, rezer, rjvh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back