Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

WOW

Ian Rogers

User Extraordinaire
Forum Supporter
Most Helpful Member
I just happened on this...
Its a full windows "style" OS and it comes on a 1.44 floppy disc.
It has tons of stuff.. I didn't believe it at first, but I down loaded the CD iso (39Mb) it comes with quake and doom.

I popped it on VirtualBox and it runs great.

What's a "floppy disc"?

Quake and Doom? Maybe you can find your Nirvana CDs while you play. Enjoy your your retro-evolution.
Hey, Doom's great :D

I've recently downloaded and played GZDOOM

Nirvana's a bit modern, I prefer the original 19070's Nirvana, a UK band with a blind lead guitarist called Tony :D

Quake and Doom? Maybe you can find your Nirvana CDs while you play. Enjoy your your retro-evolution.
You are missing the point.... A full OS on a single floppy... Not even Apple managed that.

That's seriously impressive!

Quake and Doom?
Still phenomenal games!

Though quake 2 was (is?) still the greatest deathmatch for a small number of people - I have a server permanently running, that I built on a Raspberry Pi -

IMG_0927.jpg

You are missing the point.... A full OS on a single floppy... Not even Apple managed that.
Hi I,
I remember Manic miner on my son's 48K Specrum (I didn't understand K,B and GB then) but the music seemed polyphonic.
It's surprising how creative progamming can be, and perhaps how wasteful it is now.
C

No, i didn't miss your point. You clearly showed your admiration on the original post. I'm just not impressed with effort spent recreating "better" versions of old technology.

Also, making a single disc OS claim is a questionable - Apple offered a minimal OS floppy for setting up a new hard disk if you wanted to copy a system from an old
HD to a new one. You couldn't copy the system files from the active system disk so a floppy was required.

There is a massive difference between a 8 bit system with no or low-res graphics, and one that will function on a present day (IBM) PC compatible machine!

My old 6809 based machines could boot OS/9, a full multi-user system, from a single floppy, and run a C compiler from another single floppy - but many PC compilers today are likely to use run time libraries that are massive.

The whole PC software system is massively bloated, especially if you use any of Microsoft's preferred tools!

It is a serious achievement to create and un-bloat a PC OS using tools that seem to have no regard for memory or storage requirements.

eg. one of my pet hates - MS .net framework - the runtime package, without any compilers - needs 4.5GB disc space!

Most people seem to have lost the entire concept of efficient, compact coding.

The Commodore Amiga managed it long before Windows existed - with only an 880K floppy as well, and multitasked properly, something Windows didn't do well for many versions.
Not quite the same... I had workbench 2 and it was on 4 floppies, Tools, fonts and extras were on other discs.
This is all on one disc.. And 30 games to boot!

Most people seem to have lost the entire concept of efficient, compact coding.
When I look back at the NES (Nintendo Entertainment System) that I wrote games for (asm only), it had 2k (that's 2048 bytes) of ram and most games fitted on a 16k ROM cartridge. Nobody had even heard the term Megabyte. My current P.C. has 32GB of RAM and I happily write stuff in JavaScript cause I can.

How things have changed.

Mike.
P.S. gonna have a look at that floppy.

I think most everybody did.

It has tons of stuff.. I didn't believe it at first, but I down loaded the CD iso (39Mb) it comes with quake and doom.

I popped it on VirtualBox and it runs great
Their forum has mostly Russian speaking members....I just wonder....?

With the uptick in hacking from China and Russia lately, I would wonder about any OS that is "supported" by a forum with mostly Russian speaking members. Not to say there is anything malicious about the software, just that I would be very careful where I run it, like in a virtual box or an old dedicated PC that is not on any network.
After analysis of any network traffic, to dispel any of my concerns, then I would be more likely to use it with less safeguards.
Been in IT since the 70's, seen lots of viruses and hacks over the years. Maybe I'm just a bit paranoid?

I 'came across' a nice USB floppy drive - but could never find any drivers to use it :(
I have a USB floppy, it works with win10 / 11 BUT! Kolibri runs in a VirtualBox so I didn't bother.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back