Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What else do I need for PICKIT3 (or 2) to program a PIC12F508

Status
Not open for further replies.
The file is code protected, so it won't verify correctly - here's a version with the code protect turned OFF, try that.

Attachments

• lma_v14_2.hex
    2.7 KB · Views: 125
The file is code protected, so it won't verify correctly - here's a version with the code protect turned OFF, try that.

Ooohhh Deeear!!!

Sorry Nigel. Just discovered by accident what I had been doing wrong. PIC12F508 seems to be now happily accepting the hex codes fine - provided I put the PIC12F508 into the 20 Pin Slot. :eek:

Without any legend on the ICSP board, I assumed that the 8 pin chip should be placed in the smallest pin slot - WRONG!! (slap to back of head)

Somehow for the hell of it (probably more like frustration) I put the 508 chip into the 20 pin slot and ran the program. It reported that the programming had been successful.

WHAT!! Hows that???. I scatched head for a second and tried it again and it worked so I did a bit of detective work on the Sure Electronics website and found the schematics for the Universal Programmer develop board only to discover that the pinouts VDD, VPP, PGD & PGC are different so you had to match the PIC to the proper zif socket.

I think all is now sorted. May know tomorrow when I plug the programmed chip into my Radio Control system and try it out.

Many Apologies. I'll let you know how I get on.

BTW. I've purchased a JDM programmer from ebay and am going to test it with your software.

Regards

Declan

The JDM is a serial port programmer, my software only supports parallel port ones - I specifically didn't add serial because of the poor reliability of the JDM programmers.

Cheers Nigel. Not to worry. The PICKIT 3 seems to be behaving itself.

Could I call on your knowledge possibly one last time if possible?

Today in another fluke whilst working on a computer I lent to my brother, I came across the original lost model alarm I wanted to work with that I downloaded many moons ago but wasn't into PIC programming this (still not says you ;) )

Anyway, I created a project in MPLAB (8.70), added in the linker file and ASM file but when I complied, it pops up errors in relation to a line :

while ($ & 7) != 0

Any idea as to why??

I've attached the ASM code

Many thanks

Declan

The full message is:

Debug build of project `D:\LMA\LMA3.mcp' started.
Language tool versions: MPASMWIN.exe v5.41, mplink.exe v4.39, mplib.exe v4.39
Preprocessor symbol `__DEBUG' is defined.
Sun Jun 12 23:02:14 2011
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Make: The target "D:\LMA\lma.o" is out of date.
Executing: "C:\Program Files\localapps\Microchip\MPASM Suite\MPASMWIN.exe" /q /p12F675 "lma.asm" /l"lma.lst" /e"lma.err" /o"lma.o" /d__DEBUG=1
Error[151] D:\LMA\LMA.ASM 366 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
Error[151] D:\LMA\LMA.ASM 370 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
Error[151] D:\LMA\LMA.ASM 374 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
Error[151] D:\LMA\LMA.ASM 389 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
Error[151] D:\LMA\LMA.ASM 411 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
Halting build on first failure as requested.
Debug build of project `D:\LMA\LMA3.mcp' failed.
Sun Jun 12 23:02:17 2011
BUILD FAILED

Attachments

• lma.asm
    31.1 KB · Views: 117
Cheers Nigel. Not to worry. The PICKIT 3 seems to be behaving itself.

It should, it's a great programmer - I bought one myself.

Could I call on your knowledge possibly one last time if possible?

Today in another fluke whilst working on a computer I lent to my brother, I came across the original lost model alarm I wanted to work with that I downloaded many moons ago but wasn't into PIC programming this (still not says you ;) )

Anyway, I created a project in MPLAB (8.70), added in the linker file and ASM file but when I complied, it pops up errors in relation to a line :

while ($ & 7) != 0

Any idea as to why??

I've attached the ASM code

Many thanks

Declan

The full message is:

Debug build of project `D:\LMA\LMA3.mcp' started.
Sun Jun 12 23:02:14 2011
Make: The target "D:\LMA\lma.o" is out of date.
Executing: "C:\Program Files\localapps\Microchip\MPASM Suite\MPASMWIN.exe" /q /p12F675 "lma.asm" /l"lma.lst" /e"lma.err" /o"lma.o" /d__DEBUG=1
Error[151] D:\LMA\LMA.ASM 366 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
Error[151] D:\LMA\LMA.ASM 370 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
Error[151] D:\LMA\LMA.ASM 374 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
Error[151] D:\LMA\LMA.ASM 389 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
Error[151] D:\LMA\LMA.ASM 411 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
Halting build on first failure as requested.
Debug build of project `D:\LMA\LMA3.mcp' failed.
Sun Jun 12 23:02:17 2011
BUILD FAILED

Don't use the linker, it's not relocateable code, and the linker will stop it assembling.

If in doubt, use MPASMWIN rather than MPLAB, it's an assembler and nothing else.

It assembles fine here.

Attachments

• lma.HEX
    3.5 KB · Views: 110
Hi Nigel..

You help and assistance has been greatly appreciated so Many Many Thanks. Off now to see how it all works with my Radio Control System.

Regards

Declan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back