Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PICKIT3 not recognised in MPLAB

simonbramble

I have 2 PICKIT3s. I am trying to teach my daughter programming, so have one for myself and one for her. She has a newer PC than me, running Windows 11. My PC is running Windows 10. Both are installed with MPLAB x

Both PICKIT3's run on my machine, but I cannot get the PICKIT 3 (either of them) to show up on her machine.

Inside MPLAB, if I right click over the project and go into Properties, then select the Connected Hardware Tool, on her machine I only see No Tool and Simulator selected, whereas with my machine, I see both and PICKIT3. Attached is a screen dump.

I have tried all different combinations of USB cables etc, but to no avail...

Has anyone experienced this problem before?

Please let me know

Thanks

Simon

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    73.1 KB · Views: 191
What version of MPLABX is on your daughter's machine?

If it's v6.10, that's the problem. They removed support for all the legacy tools in the latest version so you have to have a pickit4 or greater. Install an older version, like v6.00.

Supposedly they'll fix it in v6,15... we'll see.

I don't know if this is relevant, but my Window 10 laptop won't talk to the PICKit2 if there is anything plugged into the laptop's USB-C connection. I don't think that a USB hub (not USB-C) works with the PICKit2 either.

I don't know if this is relevant, but my Window 10 laptop won't talk to the PICKit2 if there is anything plugged into the laptop's USB-C connection. I don't think that a USB hub (not USB-C) works with the PICKit2 either.
I've used USB hubs on PICKIT2's, 3's, and 4's - no problem whatsoever. In fact at this very moment, I'm programming some PIC's via a hub and a PK4.

I've used USB hubs on PICKIT2's, 3's, and 4's - no problem whatsoever. In fact at this very moment, I'm programming some PIC's via a hub and a PK4.
I have no doubt that most Windows machines would have no problems. I have no idea why mid has decided not to talk to PK2 & USB-C at the same time.
My suggestion to the OP is to unplug everything else and try the PK3. They may have already done that.

What version of MPLABX is on your daughter's machine?

If it's v6.10, that's the problem. They removed support for all the legacy tools in the latest version so you have to have a pickit4 or greater. Install an older version, like v6.00.

Supposedly they'll fix it in v6,15... we'll see.
Hi Tumbleweed. That was the problem. I uninstalled v6.10 and installed v5.45 and the PK3 appeared. I am now up and running.

I assumed (never a good place to start) that all MPLAB versions would support PK3.

Thanks very much to all for all your help!

Simon

Hi Tumbleweed. That was the problem. I uninstalled v6.10 and installed v5.45 and the PK3 appeared. I am now up and running.

I assumed (never a good place to start) that all MPLAB versions would support PK3.

Thanks very much to all for all your help!

Simon

They do - I happily interchange between PK3 and PK4 on MPLAB 6.00 - it was probably just a Windows 'blip'

They do - I happily interchange between PK3 and PK4 on MPLAB 6.00
No, they don't. You didn't read close enough. He said he had v6.10.

MPLABX 6.10 has removed support for anything prior to a PK4.
The fix is to use an older version (6.00 or 6.05, but I find 6.00 to be more stable).

No, they don't. You didn't read close enough. He said he had v6.10.

MPLABX 6.10 has removed support for anything prior to a PK4.
The fix is to use an older version (6.00 or 6.05, but I find 6.00 to be more stable).
Thanks for that, I hadn't noticed there was a 6.10 - so a good reason not to change to it. Mind you, of course you can simply keep both installed anyway :D

You have to be careful... 6.10 will install device/tool packs that may not work well with older versions and they might get used if you have "use latest packs" set. I've avoided installing 6.10 for the time being just in case.

We'll have to see if they get this sorted out next version, but I'm not holding my breath.
6.10 doesn't seem to add much except for PICkit5/ICD5 support, which is probably what screwed up everything to begin with.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back