Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What else do I need for PICKIT3 (or 2) to program a PIC12F508

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewcastleSAR

Hi Folks.

I'm on the look for a programmer to program a PIC12F508 for a Lost Model Alarm. Rather than build a programmer from the numerous circuits that are available, I'm trying to go for a commercial ready built one that will program most chips.

I'm currently looking at the PICKIT3 (or 2) but I'm curious. I assume I need some sort of 'expansion' board to plug my chip into because I can't see anywhere to plug a chip into. Can anyone advise on what I am looking for to complete everything.

Regards

Declan

Pickit2 has an 6 pin ICD socket which connects to MCLR, GPIO.0, GPIO.1, Vss and Vcc, However there is no 12F508 only 12C508 its an OTP device or EEPROM device for flash you need a 12F609 or 12F629 etc...

Ian

It's an ICSP, it's intended for programing PIC's 'in cicuit' - but you can easily make a little board with Veroboard and a DIL socket, plus a connector to plug in the PICKit.

In fact I'm shortly going to be making one myself, using an 18 pin ZIF socket I have.

Ahh Right!!.

The project I am building doesn't actually have a circuit board. Basically, the PIC is programmed then legs are cut off. The chip is then soldered to the Alarm Buzzer with the capacitor on top. :)

This is the circuit.

RC-CAM Projects: Lost Model Alarm

It may look a bit tatty but weight is the name of the game with Radio Control Aircraft.

Declan

BTW Nigel, Your inbox needs emptied. Tried to send a 'thank you' PM reply but your inbox is full. Many thanks.

I'm starting to think that some parts in america aren't available here in the uk.. I looked at the availability of this chip and there was no listing atall...

Ian

Sorry, but you can't have looked very hard :D

It's freely available from both RS Components and Farnell, the two major component suppliers in the UK (as well as from a great many others - even Amazon UK list it).

Nigel... I'm starting to think my knowledge isn't good enough for this site.... People here are....... Harsh to say the least.. I used to use the pic12c508 back in the PS1 modding days and I now use the 12f675,,, mainly because the 508 wasn't flash and the functionality was very limited.. I hadn't noticed that there was a flash version..

See yah

Nigel... I'm starting to think my knowledge isn't good enough for this site.... People here are....... Harsh to say the least.. I used to use the pic12c508 back in the PS1 modding days and I now use the 12f675,,, mainly because the 508 wasn't flash and the functionality was very limited.. I hadn't noticed that there was a flash version..

See yah

Toughen up and don't take any of it to heart. It's a public forum, everyone is entitled to their opinion, which may or may not agree with your own thoughts on the matter. Your opinion here counts, just as everyone else's input does. We are all learning, nobody's perfect.

It's a neat little project which could probably be modified for all manner of things.

rgds

Ian Rogers don't quit I like your input and you have posted some nice code.

I'm not quiting!!!! I'm just gonna be more careful about replying... I know a s**T load of C and C#, although the latter isn't used here. I will help If I can!!

I've been helpless for most of my career as developing with the likes of 6052, 6800 and 8080 there was no or little help. One of the reasons I came to this forum was the PIC dominance and I use it extensively.... Mostly PIC18F (great processor, does exactly what it say's on the tin), and C18 is the best compiler I've seen in a good few years.

Anyway back to the topic in hand... PIC12F508 (the PIC12F609 is better) .

Cheers for the pickmeup guy's

I'm not quiting!!!! <SNIP> Cheers for the pickmeup guy's

Good, because you seem handy to have around.

As for the OP's initial question....
Do you need to program this PIC solely for this particular project, or are you looking to use PICs for other general projects?

If you are looking to use PICs for other purposes, which devices would you be likely to use? And from which device family?

The reason for these questions, which may initially cause a bit of confusion, is to try and save you from spending cash unneccessarily and/or possibly make a wrong choice of programming tool.

PICkit2 has been a great choice of programmer/debugger for a number of years now and the standalone GUI app also allows it to be used as a logic analyser and UART tool. PICkit3 hasn't yet caught up in that respect, but is compatible with all of the latest devices (plus the old). Support for new devices will no longer be added for the PICkit2, obviously due to Microchip wanting people to upgrade to PICkit3. However, if you will be using only the older devices....PICkit2 should suit your needs. Have a look at the supported devices for PICkit2 and see which ones may suit your needs:
**broken link removed**

Hi Guys..

As it is, I'm going to start slow here. I've purchased a couple of Start boards from **broken link removed** (Chips 08M and 14M) to play around with using their Picaxe Programming Editor. I know the program is 'Basic' but I gotta start somewhere.

I can't decide whether to go the PICKIT2 or the PICKIT3. The v2 version is tried and tested but the v3 would hopefully cover any new changes in chip technology.

Funding for a programmer is very slightly strained. I was looking at one of the PICKIT clones but haven't seen any reviews about them. May just keep the pennies until I have enough to buy the geniune PICKIT from Microchip.

Declan

I have a PK2, but have recently bought a PK3 as well, as the 2 doesn't support the chip I was wanting to use - so I would suggest going for a 3.

For the PICAXE chips you don't need aprogrammer of course.

There are some nice things about the pk3 I like. For one it is a lot more forgiving about the connection. With the pk2 you could end up closing mplab to fix a nonworking connection. With the pk3 either a software reconnect or unplugging and plugging the USB has worked every time.

There is also a in circuit stopwatch with the debugger. It counts instruction cycles.

Hi Folks..

Just bought the PICKIT 3 & MCU Universal ZIF socket for PICkit 2 or 3

I downloaded the PICKIT3 Standalone program and I've been able to run a couple of tests with hex code for PIC16F628 chips to check all was working and all seems to work fine.

Not so with the PIC12F508. When I attempt to program the chip with the code, it fails.

Program operation of memory failed.

Address 0xFFF, read 0x0, expected 0x2

Could anyone shed any light on what I have done wrong. Have I possible goosed the chip somehow?

Many thanks

Declan

Hi Folks..

Just bought the PICKIT 3 & MCU Universal ZIF socket for PICkit 2 or 3

I downloaded the PICKIT3 Standalone program and I've been able to run a couple of tests with hex code for PIC16F628 chips to check all was working and all seems to work fine.

Not so with the PIC12F508. When I attempt to program the chip with the code, it fails.

Program operation of memory failed.

Address 0xFFF, read 0x0, expected 0x2

Could anyone shed any light on what I have done wrong. Have I possible goosed the chip somehow?

Unlikely - you're trying to access 4K of memory in a device that only has 0.5K of memory.

Sorry Nigel..

Don't quite follow. From the website: https://www.rc-cam.com/lma.htm it was originally a PIC12C508 that was used but it says that 'You can also use the easier to find PIC12F508 or PIC12F509 instead.'

What would you suggest I do next?

Incidently, I wasn't trying to program the 508 chip with the same code as the 628. I was only verifying that the programmer was working using a 628 chip and respective code - just in case there was a fault with the programmer.

Many thanks

Declan

Last edited:
Sorry Nigel..

Don't quite follow.

Your error was at address 0xFFF (4095 decimal), the 12F508 only has 0.5K of memory, so can't go higher than 0x1FF (511 decimal) - you need to correct your code for the 12F508, you can't just try and dump code in from a different processor.

You might try posting the code you're trying to use?.

Your error was at address 0xFFF (4095 decimal), the 12F508 only has 0.5K of memory, so can't go higher than 0x1FF (511 decimal) - you need to correct your code for the 12F508, you can't just try and dump code in from a different processor.

You might try posting the code you're trying to use?.

Hi Nigel..

I've attached the hex file for the 'Lost Model Alarm' and the instructions from the site https://www.rc-cam.com/lma.htm which refers to the PIC12F508. There is no ASM file for this project - just the hex file

Many thanks

Declan

Attachments

• lma_v14.HEX
    2.8 KB · Views: 201
  • readme_v14.pdf
    8.8 KB · Views: 387
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back