Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trying to find MOSETs with Gm < 0.4millisiemens

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakeshvadyala

Hi All:

I was trying to find a company which sells MOSFETs with Transconductance (Gm) < 0.4millisiemens.

If any one knows from where i can get the above devices please post me.

Thanks and Regards,
Ray

This is a bit like nailing jelly to a tree. The parameter gm, or forward transconductance, is the slope of the Id vs. Vgs characteristic curve. It has a very small slope for Vgs < Vgs(th). For Vgs >> Vgs(th) the slope is increasing linearly given the quadratic nature of that particular curve. So gm will be in a range from 0 to 400 uS(.4 mS) as Vgs goes from 0 to some voltage which may be less than, equal to, or greater than Vgs(th).

It is also worth mentioning that no manufacturer I could find has a parametric search on this parameter for what should by now be altogether obvious reasons.

Use negitive feedback to control the gain in your amplifier. Requesting a transistor with a gain below a certain level isn't very sensible. You realy want as much gain as possible then use negitive feedback to cut it down to a reasonable level.

Papabravo said:
This is a bit like nailing jelly to a tree. The parameter gm, or forward transconductance, is the slope of the Id vs. Vgs characteristic curve. It has a very small slope for Vgs < Vgs(th). For Vgs >> Vgs(th) the slope is increasing linearly given the quadratic nature of that particular curve. So gm will be in a range from 0 to 400 uS(.4 mS) as Vgs goes from 0 to some voltage which may be less than, equal to, or greater than Vgs(th).

It is also worth mentioning that no manufacturer I could find has a parametric search on this parameter for what should by now be altogether obvious reasons.

Exactly! The minimum gm is no big deal, one can bias the gm to be zero, if you're sufficiently close to vgs(off). The max gm is another story, as the max slope occurs just before IDSS on the transconductance curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back