Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Time travel ..here we come

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems pretty ambitious and unscientific to state with complete certainty that the so-called "chirp" was caused by the gravitational waves. Seems to me there is any number of possible reasons why that might happen.

Seems pretty ambitious and unscientific to state with complete certainty that the so-called "chirp" was caused by the gravitational waves. Seems to me there is any number of possible reasons why that might happen.

Not really, the detection science is very solid.
LIGO_measurement_of_gravitational_waves.png

https://dcc.ligo.org/LIGO-P150914/public
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1409.2435v2.pdf

https://cds.cern.ch/record/632328?ln=en
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_wave

Last edited:
I'd be happy to hear what those reasons are. :rolleyes:

Those are pretty impressive results. I knew the strain was small, but just looking at that exponent impressed me.

John

I'd be happy to hear what those reasons are. :rolleyes:

It seems to me any fluctuation in the length or shape of one of the "legs" of the antenna could cause a phase shift of the lasers and cause the "chirp". The Earth shifts all the time, so I imagine this wouldn't be uncommon. I'm not saying it's not gravitational waves, I'm just saying that it probably shouldn't be said with absolute certainty that it is.

As I understand it, both detectors changed synchronously different in time only by the distance between them divided by the speed of light (or something close to that). Disturbances caused by atomic blasts (just as an example) don't travel at that speed. It seems extremely unlikely that any local interference or disturbance would would occur at both sites with such coordination.

Coordinated scientific fraud is still possible, which is one reason independent confirmation is still needed. (Remember "cold fusion?")

John

Those are pretty impressive results. I knew the strain was small, but just looking at that exponent impressed me.

John

The 'discovery' of GW is just a confirmation of an old and tested theory so it's nothing earth-shaking in direct science but the advanced technology and engineering needed to build gravity telescopes to detect, select and localize these events is very impressive. We've seen the modeled (using GR) signature before with electromagnetic signals so would it have been a real shocker if the gravitational wave signature (also modeled with GR) was missing.

Hi,

I was wondering why that day i aged more than usual, then got a little younger again, then aged again,
and also felt a little heavier, then lighter, then heavier again :)

When i used to watch the ocean waves going in and out at the beach i had to marvel at the energy that must have been taking and how it could be harvested. In comparison the black hole collision must have released an amount of energy i just can not imagine. So much energy it could probably create ocean waves for an untold number of years.

The amazing part is that they could measure it at all.
The system must be able to measure distances as small as 10E-19 meter.
The proton has a radius of about 0.85 × 10E-15 meter, or 10,000 times larger. :eek:
That's why Einstein thought they would never be able to measure it.

Last edited:

The amazing part is that they could measure it at all.
The system must be able to measure distances as small as 10E-19 meter.
The proton has a radius of about 0.85 × 10E-15 meter, or 10,000 times larger. :eek:
That's why Einstein thought they would never be able to measure it.

Hi,

Yes it is quite an acheivement in human science history, and the ramifications are quite amazng too.
An interesting point is that particular event only occurs once, period, in the entire history of the universe.

I have always been amazed at the amount of energy in the universe, and in particular the amount of energy in some cosmic events.
I see now that it looks like the amount of energy released in that ONE collision, in a total time of less than 100 milliseconds, would have been enough to keep life on earth as it is right now today, for about 60 billion years! That's just too much energy to comprehend.

Calculate the surface area of the earth in square meters: 4*pi*(6.4e6)^2=5.15e+14
Multiply times number of hours in one year: 1.62e22
Multiply that by 60e9: 9.72e32 kilowatt hours
So about 1e33 kilowatt hours.
That's a billion trillion trillion kilowatt hours.

We are very very lucky that this did not happen nearby or the earth would have been destroyed.

Last edited:
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz of the Galactic Hyperspace Planning Council warned them many years ago about the need to make way for a new hyperspace bypass.
images

Hi,

And that's only one way. Another is a gamma ray burst in our direction. And unfortunately, non fiction.

OK, I sorta get all the science stuff, gamma rays and gravity waves. What I don't see is the connection to time travel. I believe time travel is a concept but not a real thing, just a myth.
You can't go back to a time in history because it happened already! You are by definition too late. It's done.

Time travel to the future is easy, and I have perfected it on my living room couch. Simple: just wait for it.

Hi,

Yes it is quite an acheivement in human science history, and the ramifications are quite amazng too.
An interesting point is that particular event only occurs once, period, in the entire history of the universe.

I have always been amazed at the amount of energy in the universe, and in particular the amount of energy in some cosmic events.
I see now that it looks like the amount of energy released in that ONE collision, in a total time of less than 100 milliseconds, would have been enough to keep life on earth as it is right now today, for about 60 billion years! That's just too much energy to comprehend.

Calculate the surface area of the earth in square meters: 4*pi*(6.4e6)^2=5.15e+14
Multiply times number of hours in one year: 1.62e22
Multiply that by 60e9: 9.72e32 kilowatt hours
So about 1e33 kilowatt hours.
That's a billion trillion trillion kilowatt hours.

We are very very lucky that this did not happen nearby or the earth would have been destroyed.

Ahh, but you have not factored in man-made global warming.:D

spec

I find it hard to believe this was detectable with a 2.5 mile detector. If you had a detector that was from here to the sun it would change length by 1 part in 5 x 10^22

Distance to sun 150,000,000 km
150,000,000/5 x 10^22 = 3 x 10^-15

That is 3 nm or about 1/200th of the wavelength of red light. And there detector was 30 million times smaller!

It's either very incredible or very suspicious.

Just saying,;)

Mike.
Edit, Seems the sensitivity claimed is 1 in 5 x 10^22, gravity waves distort by 1 in 10^20. So, I was out by a factor of 500!! Their 4km detector would distort 400 X 10^-15 m = 400 femto meters!!!

Last edited:
OK, I sorta get all the science stuff, gamma rays and gravity waves. What I don't see is the connection to time travel. I believe time travel is a concept but not a real thing, just a myth.
You can't go back to a time in history because it happened already! You are by definition too late. It's done.

Time travel to the future is easy, and I have perfected it on my living room couch. Simple: just wait for it.

Hi,

Hey that's funny. So we are all time travelers then :)

The main point i think is that the gravity wave shows that time is not the same in every locality and also proves a part of relativity theory, which is the same part that predicts time travel. Since time was shown to actually change because of the wave, then time is just part of the space time continuum and so is NOT a separate dimension.

One way to help visualize this is to imagine a 2d surface like a square sheet of paper that is held flat for a moment, but then carefully lifted upward little by little keeping the surface flat. Since we can view the paper is existing in the x,y dimensions then we can call the distance it is moving upward the 'z' dimension, and so we just moved a surface through a 3 dimensional space. Note now we have NO problem whatsoever moving the paper back DOWN to where we started. So we freely moved the paper from say y=0 to say y=12 inches high, then back down again.
Now take the dimension we called 'z' and replace it with a new form of time, call it "time 2". We can then say that we had no trouble moving the paper back and forth through "time 2". We started at maybe time 2=0 then moved to time 2=12, then moved it back to time 2=0 again, no problem.
Now replace what we called 'time 2' with just 'time' and there you have it. The paper traveled through time.

So time and space can be viewed as if it was a solid just like any other object we might find, like a cube, except time is the fourth dimension which is in addition to our usual 3 that we see all the time.

The real problem is that this kind of movement is not in our common experience, therefore it seems impossible. There are many things that are not in our common experience that seem outrageous when we find out the truth about them. From the day we are born to the time we die, most of us never see this actually happen because it is a hard thing to observe anywhere. Using scientific instruments of all kinds we can start to see these things unfold and sometimes they are quite astonishing.

I find it hard to believe this was detectable with a 2.5 mile detector. If you had a detector that was from here to the sun it would change length by 1 part in 5 x 10^22

Distance to sun 150,000,000 km
150,000,000/5 x 10^22 = 3 x 10^-15

That is 3 nm or about 1/200th of the wavelength of red light. And there detector was 30 million times smaller!

It's either very incredible or very suspicious.

Just saying,;)

Mike.
Edit, Seems the sensitivity claimed is 1 in 5 x 10^22, gravity waves distort by 1 in 10^20. So, I was out by a factor of 500!! Their 4km detector would distort 400 X 10^-15 m = 400 femto meters!!!

Hi,

Somehow i just found this thread again, not sure how :)

I didnt go over the math, but that's not the right distance to use in the calculation.
The detector might have been 2.5 miles long (and wide) but the detect distance could have been a huge multiple of that distance therefore making the detect distance look many times longer than that 2.5 miles. The trick is to bounce the laser off of a set of mirrors so that the light beam has to cover maybe 2500 miles rather than just 2.5 miles. It could be even more than that. Add to that the latitude beam would change opposite to the longitude beam, so we'd see the two beams react in completely opposite ways if a real gravity wave hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back