Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

time-average value of cross product

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG1995

Hi

Could you please help me with this query? Thank you.

Regards
PG

Attachments

• emft_time_average.jpg
    emft_time_average.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 423
Hi,

Did you try integrating (with time over the period) the expression 1 to get expression 2?

Thank you, MrAl.

Sorry, I completely missed it. I didn't integrate it. I will do it then let you know how it goes. Thanks.

Regards
PG

Hi

Could you please help me with it? Thank you.

Regards
PG

When you have experience with doing time averages and if you remember a key trig identity, you can go from expression 1 to expression 2 in your head, without any work. If you are unable to do that, then you have to formally write out the time average integral, and you will arrive at that result.

To do it in your head, consider the following. The time average of a sum of terms is the sum of the time averages of each term. The term with sin(2wt) is a sine wave with no DC offset, and hence the time average of that part is zero. The terms with cos^2 and sin^2 in them can be handled with a trig identities that say cos^2 and sin^2 are DC shifted cosine waves at twice the frequency. The harmonic variations of a sine or cosine wave always average to the DC value of that sine wave, so you don't need to evaluate any integrals, and the DC components of each term are all that matter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back