Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The Oscar Pistorius thread. Hero or Zero?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvtech

Most Helpful Member
Hi all.

As some of you might have read in the Press, Oscar Pistorius, a role Model for many people the World over has been charged with the murder of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.

Oscar AKA the "Blade Runner", was born with fibular hemimelia (congenital absence of the fibula) in both legs. When he was 11 months old, his legs were amputated halfway between his knees and ankles. (from Wikipaedia).

In spite of his physical disabilities, he went on to become a true Champion. A person that challenged even abled athletes to try and lead the way forward for disabled people.

Winner all the way.

Roll on to the night/morning of 14 February 2013. Valentines Day.

His girlfriend Reeva is found shot dead in his bathroom. Four shots fired through the bathroom door. Apparently (but not yet confirmed) with the Pistol he kept next to his bed.

Reeva here:**broken link removed**
Oscar here:http://www.oscarpistorius.com/

Both successful people. Both loved by all that knew them. Friends and family alike.

Anyway, Oscar has hired the best for his defense: http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/2013/02/17/pistorius-ropes-in-heavyweight-defence-team.

Ask yourself this: If you were in his position.....and you were suspect No 1....and you did not do it.....would you not fight like he is doing?

That is why I believe the man is innocent. Some other crap happened that night.

Tragic mistake of sorts maybe?. Premeditated Murder = NO.

May the truth prevail.

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
Hi,

The outcome of things like this are just too hard to predict. We can only hope for the best and that the truth comes out sooner or later. The only person(s) who know for sure right now are him (he knows for sure if he did it or not) and if he didnt do it then the killer knows for sure too.

There have been other tragedies like a hit an run recently in the news. The person was killed quite a while back and they still dont know who hit him. They are trying some other tactics right now, but it really takes a miracle to get to the bottom of something like this, or maybe a "Monk" (detective in the know).

As a paraplegic person living in crime ridden South Africa, he had to be able to defend himself the best way he can.

I’m a light sleeper. When I wake up I’m usually immediately aware of my surroundings. Most people however are not like that. Imagine being someone who wakes up because of a noise in your house. You know that in South Africa it’s kill or be killed. What if the person on the other side of that closed door had other motives? I too would have fired the shots first. In my case, when I was attacked, I unfortunately did not have my gun with me at that time. Else, there would have been two dead criminals in my house that night.

As a paraplegic person living in crime ridden South Africa, he had to be able to defend himself the best way he can.

I’m a light sleeper. When I wake up I’m usually immediately aware of my surroundings. Most people however are not like that. Imagine being someone who wakes up because of a noise in your house. You know that in South Africa it’s kill or be killed. What if the person on the other side of that closed door had other motives? I too would have fired the shots first. In my case, when I was attacked, I unfortunately did not have my gun with me at that time. Else, there would have been two dead criminals in my house that night.

If, he did it on purpose and has a conscience it will haunt him for the rest of his life, if he didn't do it (Accident) and get's off, the public will alway's wonder if he did it on purpose! This will also haunt him, along with his own guilt.

Edit: In the Old West of America, it was said, Shoot First and Ask Questions Later. ( Living in South Africa to me is somewhat the same. )

Last edited:

Hi SPDCHK

I remember your incident too. Two criminals contracted to kill you...but your young Son helped you stop the bastards.

How are you doing these days?

Regards,
tvtech

Maybe she was like my wife and felt it was necessary to wake him up and tell him every time she got up to pee. :rolleyes:

(Its why I keep my gun at the other end of the house now.) :p

Hi,

There's now been a bloody bat found at the scene and her (the girlfriend) head was reported to be bashed in. They are saying that supports the theory that he did it.
My own personal opinion is wait until we get all the facts and start hearing some testimony.

Yeah South Africa is supposed to be one of the most dangerous places with some 50 murders (or killings) per day on average.

DOH.... Now I have to move the bat to the other end of the house now. :p

Hi SPDCHK

I remember your incident too. Two criminals contracted to kill you...but your young Son helped you stop the bastards.

How are you doing these days?

Regards,
tvtech

Yeah, funny enough, my case also happened on Valentine's day (14-Feb-2010)

You won't believe, but the criminal case against the (ex)wife is STILL ongoing.

@killivolt
The laws in South Africa is such that you are not allowed to shoot anybody unless your life is 100% at risk and you can prove this beyond reasonable doubt. I don't think he killed her in cold blood, BUT he did kill her. The charge of murder should be changed to 1st or 2nd degree manslaughter. No doubt he will get some time in the iron hotel, but not for murder.

... There's now been a bloody bat found at the scene and her (the girlfriend) head was reported to be bashed in. They are saying that supports the theory that he did it.

Sounds fishy. So a guy with no legs got in his wheelchair, got his bat, and chased down his terrified girlfriend, then bashed her head in, then went and dropped the bat and got his gun and come back and shot her a couple of times?

Or he first shot her with the gun, then after she was dead on the floor he got his wheelchair and got his bat and put the gun away and then hit her in the head with the bat?

Something's not right with all that.

Hi again,

Yes why the bat AND the gun...he really hated that beeeeeaaach <chuckle>.
It is all mixed up because we dont have all the facts yet. They might not release everything right away so it may take some time.
He's an athlete though not really an invalid :)

Hi again,

Yes why the bat AND the gun...he really hated that beeeeeaaach <chuckle>.
It is all mixed up because we dont have all the facts yet. They might not release everything right away so it may take some time.
He's an athlete though not really an invalid :)

While he'd leave me standing on a running track - I doubt he wears the blades in the bedroom, and I'd run circles round him on his stumps :D

He's certainly an invalid for the purposes of this 'mis-adventure'.

High Profile People

They all have been accused.

Natalie Wood could have easily fallen out of the boat, or did she?

O.J. Simpson? Gloves didn't fit? He sure was weird while driving 10 miles per hr on the freeway?

Robert Blake, I don't want to believe it, but after this line up, who knows?

**broken link removed**

Couldn't prove he did it or he hired someone to do it.

O.J. Simpson

Gloves didn't fit.

Rober Wagner / Natalie Wood

Fell out of the boat, Robert Wagner had no idea, she was gone.

Last edited:
While he'd leave me standing on a running track - I doubt he wears the blades in the bedroom, and I'd run circles round him on his stumps :D

He's certainly an invalid for the purposes of this 'mis-adventure'.

Hi Nigel,

Well what i meant was he's not your typical feeble invalid but quite strong and healthy i would think. I cant wait till we get more information though.

killivolt:
Yes some interesting cases.

All:
I also have to think about another case again that i read about recently about a hit and run. What if it was an accident? Will it help anyone if the guy or gal comes in and confesses? Sure they family wants justice, but unfortunately that wont bring the victim back. Besides, if he/she is free maybe someone might hit and run him/her to death :)

Moral of the story:
Don't p... off a celebrity.

Today's court proceedings here: **broken link removed**

Regards,
tvtech

This whole story seems off. There are too many parts of it that don't make any sense. It's much like the Troy Davis/Amanda Knox cases here in the U.S. There was strong evidence that Troy Davis did NOT commit murder, yet he was still executed. There was strong evidence that Amanda Knox DID commit murder, and she was released. This whole deal with Oscar Pistorius sounds very similar to the Troy Davis case--there is a lot of evidence suggesting that more thorough investigation is necessary, but I'm worried it won't happen. It all sounds very iffy to me....

Hello there,

After reading the 'two' accounts of what 'he' said had happened (it's still just hearsay though) i have trouble believing his story.
The first thing that hit me was that she was in bed with him, he heard a noise, and didnt bother to either:
1. Check to see if she was in bed in order to determine if it was her or not that he had heard elsewhere in the house
2. Wake her to warn her of a possible very serious danger

I would have immediately at least checked and then woke the other person so they could possibly escape harm while i investigated more carefully.

It seem so obvious to me, because who would assume that there was a third person in the house if they were not sure if the second person was right there beside him or not. There's a possible rare explanation, but i dont want to give it out at this point, and it would still be a little hard to believe.

Of course all this is based on the hearsay of the news media so far anyway. And maybe you guys have some other thoughts.

Hi Matt,

Another account :) with less detail yet. We need more detail, the exact statement made by him. We also need a forensics report on the bathroom.

The excuse i was going to suggest for not checking FIRST if his gal was in bed was maybe he panicked. But he doesnt mention being frightened until later when he realizes that it might be his girlfriend right? It seems the first thing anyone would do is extend their arm over to the other side of the bed to feel if there is a warm body there or not.

It's also a little strange that someone would shoot at the door rather than wait to see what was going on inside. I would think there would have been audible clues such as running water (yeah someone broke in to use the sink to wash up ha ha) or a closing cabinet door, or other normal bathroom sounds i wont mention :) or even just silence, as opposed to hearing glass breaking or whispering, etc. He didnt bother to give a warning either like "I have a gun".

All i have to say though is that either he's guilty or he's the biggest loser in the world for making such an awful mistake. Im using the word "loser" here to be nice, there's plenty of other words i'd really like to use including that one.

I cant wait to hear more about this story.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back