Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

So How Fast is Your Internet Speed? Test here & Post!

Status
Not open for further replies.
GUESS WHAT?
The telephone company (Bell Canada here) has FIBRE (glass fiber cables?) and they phone us and e-mail us every day to sell it.
They claim a fantastic internet speed.

BUT the fibre does not go to your home like the stupid telemarketers think or are taught. Instead it is between each central office (between each city).
My central office is many miles away from here so the speed of internet along the 30 years old cables to my home will be almost the same as old fashioned DIALUP!

The youngsters here do not know about "dialup": It was EXTREMELY slow.

GUESS WHAT?
The telephone company (Bell Canada here) has FIBRE (glass fiber cables?) and they phone us and e-mail us every day to sell it.

BUT the fibre does not go to your home like the stupid telemarketers think or are taught. Instead it is between each central office (between each city).
My central office is many miles away from here so the speed of internet along the 30 years old cables to my home will be almost the same as old fashioned DIALUP!

I first got dialup back in '97 or '98. It wasn't well-developed back then, and I wasn't able to do much with it. I could barely check e-mail, it was so slow. Couldn't talk on the phone and be on the internet at the same time. I often got kicked off if the phone rang. Didn't get to use internet much until just a couple years ago when I purchased a bundle that included DSL. One of the best purchases I've ever made :D

The DSLAM for the DSL line doesn't have to be at the CO. It can be remote. I'm on 50+ YO phone lines with a rats nets of quad cables in the house yet I have a "pristine" DSL connection as the telco guy said. One secret is to put a splitter in the NID and possibly upgrade the "protectors".

The old carbon protectors are in parallel with no issues, but I had trouble with the original protectors when the NID was installed BD. (BD=Before Data).

You should see what happens when the line has to be traced and fixed at every splice and the loading coils are removed. The "phone guy" brought back "my problem". The actual bad splice and cable where some critters had lunch on the insulation.

GUESS WHAT?

Thats what a lot of people over here in the UK think they are getting when they order FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) - they think that BT (the phone company) are going to run a fibre optic cable into their house. This is incorrect. The fibre optic cable is run to the closest junction cabinet for the estate then you use your existing copper cabling from the cabinet back to your property then whatever dodgy wiring is in your property to your modem.

My closest cabinet is a 5 minute walk away but my speeds show that you can still get a decent signal down a fair bit of 20 year old cabling.

These speed testing sites can be quite variable in the results they give. At work I look after our network and the WAN stuff.

We have a 200Mbs full duplex link to the Internet. The upload speed is always slower than the download and there can be big differences in the result depending on which test server is used. Also the same servers at different times can show significant differences.

I just ran some test from here, results in the attached file. I even tweaked the bandwidth appliance server to prioritize the test traffic ;)

Attachments

• 2444638647.png
    2444638647.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 266
  • 2444656941.png
    2444656941.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 269
GUESS WHAT?

It's surprising what salesmen try to get you to buy. Years ago, when dialup was the norm, I was buying a fastest then available 28.8K modem. The salesman told me that I wouldn't get the full speed unless I also bought their premium phone cord to use with it. I asked him if he really thought that 6 feet of premium wire at the end of 2 plus miles of telco wire would make any difference. He had no answer to that.

Needless to say, I didn't buy the premium cord. But I wonder how many people did.

2456013916.png

Last edited:
It's surprising what salesmen try to get you to buy. Years ago, when dialup was the norm, I was buying a fastest then available 28.8K modem. The salesman told me that I wouldn't get the full speed unless I also bought their premium phone cord to use with it. I asked him if he really thought that 6 feet of premium wire at the end of 2 plus miles of telco wire would make any difference. He had no answer to that.

Needless to say, I didn't buy the premium cord. But I wonder how many people did.

View attachment 70205

Provo ran Fiber around 5 or so yrs ago. I can't remember when exactly. Here in Orem they ran a big trunk from the East Side in front of my house to the West Side. I asked so when do I expect to get connected.

They said, oh this isn't for you this is for the business side of town. It's been 2 yrs and they still keep saying not yet, not yet and I keep seeing sign's in front of peoples houses, wee just got UTOPIA.

I'm not calling to find out when anymore, I'm going to wait for them to call me, then I'll say you ran fiber in front of my house 2yrs ago. I couldn't park my car and had to walk 3 blocks everyday for 2 weeks.

And then you say oh well this fiber is for business's across town, not for you. Well, if you want my business you can pay me for my time and inconvenience 2yrs ago and for frustrating me since that time till now.

Since this thread started we were kb/s, now it's Mb/s

I'm not doing so bad.

2456647166.png

I think I'll just try to scare my current Internet Company into lowering my price, saying Hey, these guy's are offering fiber:rolleyes:

kv

Last edited:
D=5765kbps
U=475kbps
ping 48ms

it is not a screamer but it is unlimited, cheap and reliable. i get same thing any time of the day.

That's a pretty good ping and a lot better than I used to get on the upload/download.

Interestingly my new ISP have a broadband usage on their accounts page and I use on average 2.4Gb per day (download and upload)

My internet download speed and ping get faster each month but my upload gets slower.
I have the cheapest speed from my cable TV/Internet provider.

Attachments

• speedtest.png
    speedtest.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 264
That's a pretty good ping and a lot better than I used to get on the upload/download.

Yes, I'm quite pleased - although it's not terribly cheap :D

It was a brave man putting the dish on the chimney, it's quite windy here, even at ground level.

Interestingly my new ISP have a broadband usage on their accounts page and I use on average 2.4Gb per day (download and upload)

I'm paying for 20Gb per month, but you can alter that on a monthly basis, or pay £5.99 for an extra 5GB if you run out - not that it stops working, it just slows down (I don't know what to though).

If you're not streaming much video then 20Gb should be adequate. I've got a wife and stepson who love watching stuff online (as do I) so we have a fair amount of traffic. I also host my own email and web servers so that takes up a bit as well.

If you're not streaming much video then 20Gb should be adequate. I've got a wife and stepson who love watching stuff online (as do I) so we have a fair amount of traffic. I also host my own email and web servers so that takes up a bit as well.

I can stream movies on netflix with only 3Mb/s. It just p*sses off my neighbors who try to steal my wifi ;)

P.S. Oh yeah, I assume you mean 20Mb, not 20Gb....?

P.P.S. Or are you talking data limits and not speed limits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back