Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

So How Fast is Your Internet Speed? Test here & Post!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am quoting my old post with numbers dating back to 2008.
At this point we have 1Mbps upload and 13Mbps download. Do not recall when then bumped the download speed 2x. These days the speed problems seem be due to slow web and file servers.

In August of 2008 my numbers I posted on this thread were
1273 and 405

We have changed ISP packages a few times since then, upgraded to the 6Mps package today. The new numbers are
run between 6.22 and 7.12Mbps for download and .97 and 1.Mbps for upload.

Attachments

• speedtest.png
    speedtest.png
    267 KB · Views: 328
11.14 Mbps down, 3.46 Mbps up, FIOS, Armstrong, tested with Speakeasy to Chicago. Armstrong's speed is a function of subscriber level. I subscribe at the old-man level.

@eTech, looks to me like you need to upgrade to Chrome for more speed. ;)

John

The Wife complained and we Picked up some speed lol

3308070693.png

Previous Test Speed

2456647166-png.70206

Last edited:
This is what I get for living up in the boondocks:

3308121676.png

Very impressive. Question is, how much are you paying? Comcast has a habit of overcharging their customers, and there have been many known issues with their service. How has your experience been with them as a whole?

With the new fiber optic in our house I get between 40 - 65 Mbps down even with three internet fed HDTV units online.

Ping varies between 5 and 30 ms.

I can live with that. :cool:

Thanks all. Comcast has been catastrophically awful for nearly a decade, and I agree 100% with your comments. They are better today thanks to competition from FiOS and recently, Google. I have Comcast when I'm in the mainland.

I would not have them today if not for constant negotiations for a better deal. What you see is an experimental network that I pay $50 for, includes basic cable, that I got in 2011. The price is not way off, Google's experimental deal is 1Gbs for ~ $100/mo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Fiber

https://www.pcworld.com/article/209...ber-is-already-real-just-not-from-google.html

Essentially I'm testing bonded channels on a DOCSIS 3.0 protocol using IPv6 shared between > 10 others, we are all on 100 Mbs accounts. When the others are idle I get their unused speed. It only engages during the test mode, but they test quite a bit between 4-7am, and sometimes during the weekend days. They allowed test because my engineering background, I do all my own tech support, and start my day at 4am.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

The benefit of DOCSIS is that users do not need new cabling infrastructure, all you need is new modem firmware. The problem is the backbone, if such a tier existed for the general public, the Comcast backbone may not have the bandwidth to support many accounts.

Very impressive. Question is, how much are you paying? Comcast has a habit of overcharging their customers, and there have been many known issues with their service. How has your experience been with them as a whole?

Last edited:
My current ISP is upgrading the free (included in rent) 2Mb to 50Mb this week..
Now my speed is 2.44 down and 44.52 up.. lets see how the upgrade affects.

Last edited:
I opened this thread by clicking 3 time because of having 2 disconnect (Try Again!) notification. It took me 7kb/30 seconds.

Can you imagine, once it was exactly smooth 1 kbps the fastest speed and in that opportunity I downloaded 37MB antivirus!! Imagine the time.

My friend recently downloaded Windows 8 from his more faster connection successfully and proved his bravery because he did it within 5 days! (Do not ask my location...... It's our most secret!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back