Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Samsung laser multifunction fixed. Error A1-4111

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pommie

Most Helpful Member
I've posted this here so a google search might help future owners with this problem

I have a Samsung C1860FW multifunction colour laser and yesterday it errored with error A1-4111 - Actuator Motor Failure.

Check manual and removed the right hand cover ( to remove unscrew 4 screw, two at the back and two at the front and slide it backwards - the manual just says "Remove right cover"!!!). Found this,
Side View.jpg

I identified the broken bit from an internet post that indicated it was the blue relay type thing in the top left corner. I found that if I "helped" this relay during the switch on sequence the error went away.
I then noticed the foam pads on the relay, one on the coil and one on the actuator arm.
Actuator before.jpg

Notice that the one on the top of the actuator is not under the stop. These appear to be small self adhesive pads that can slide around and mine had sliden away from the stop.
A little shoving with a screw driver moved it back where it belonged under the stop.
Actuator after.jpg

And Voila, all fixed.

Hoping this will help someone else in the future.

Mike.

I had a similar problem where the pad had gone sticky. Not a foam pad like yours, a much thinner one. Replaced it with a bit of tape. Worked fine ever since. That solenoid should have a sibling somewhere, probably yellow. I think they control the timing of when the paper goes through, pretty important job, so first place to look if print is high or low on the page.

Thanks for your help Pommie, could you please put an arrow on the picture? Because I have the same problem, but I don't understand what you moved in your fix
Thanks

It's the little foam pad that should sit under the metal stop but moves along.
Actuator after2.jpg

I've circled it above. If you compare that to the above "before" photo you will see the difference.

Mike.

I have a Samsung CLX-4195 with the same issue, and its been driving me nuts. Thank You so much for posting this and for the detailed pictures!

Pommie,
Joined this forum just so my husband and I could say "Thank you."
Fixed our Samsung C1860F in less than 10 minutes thanks to your solution.

Just glad that it has helped a few people. It's obviously a design flaw that they'll hopefully fix.

Mike.

I think it is something common to many makes of laser printer - they all seem to have these solenoids, presumably they suffer the same kinds of issue.

I've posted this here so a google search might help future owners with this problem

I have a Samsung C1860FW multifunction colour laser and yesterday it errored with error A1-4111 - Actuator Motor Failure.

Check manual and removed the right hand cover ( to remove unscrew 4 screw, two at the back and two at the front and slide it backwards - the manual just says "Remove right cover"!!!). Found this,
View attachment 109840

I identified the broken bit from an internet post that indicated it was the blue relay type thing in the top left corner. I found that if I "helped" this relay during the switch on sequence the error went away.
I then noticed the foam pads on the relay, one on the coil and one on the actuator arm.
View attachment 109841
Notice that the one on the top of the actuator is not under the stop. These appear to be small self adhesive pads that can slide around and mine had sliden away from the stop.
A little shoving with a screw driver moved it back where it belonged under the stop.
View attachment 109842

And Voila, all fixed.

Hoping this will help someone else in the future.

Mike.
I was about to toss it. Awesome fix thank a bunch!

hmmm... i hate to say it, but it looks as if the foam pad was either a "fix" for a problem discovered after production began, or to save assembly time (applying the foam pad takes less time than adjusting the stop). they could have used a solid rubber pad there, but used foam which will wear out (foam pads tend to crumble after several years). the foam pad on the face of the solenoid coil suggests the foam was originally a noise reduction measure

Whatever the reason, I'mjust happy I've been able to help a few people tonfix the problem.

Mike.

So, I’d finally figured it out right before you answered, so I felt stoopit.
However, I followed your instructions to fix...took a while...but, I am now copying away!
If I knew your address, I’d come over and give you the best kiss you’ve ever experienced!
I don’t, so I won’t.
Big, big, big thanks instead!

OH MY GOODNESS Mike, thank you so much for this helpful post. Thought I might have to buy a new laser printer, but woohoo, saved. An IT lady in training..ha. Thanks again.

Ok, I'm not sure how to thank you appropriately. But for sure you deserve a big hug.. :D A friend of mine asked me if I could try to repair his printer. Same model, same problem as you described.. And problem solved... as you described! Incredible. Thanks a lot from Germany!
Best is: He already bought a new printer and said I could keep that one! o_O Putting it now under the Christmas Tree! ;D
Merry XMAS guys.

As more people post how this helped, I'm more glad I made the effort to post this here.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back