Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Running 3v transmitter on 9v?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireAce

Running 3v transmitter on 9v? Would a simple resistor do it? Would hate to blow up the transmitter on trial and error, and I dont have an ohm reader to check the load to do the calculations.

Anyone done that yet?

The resistor would only work if the current draw was constant or within a narrow range. You'd normally use a regulator.

simple 2channel transmitter from a walmart toy. Range is excellent for what I need, but my supply voltage is 9v. I'm thinkin it will work alright with a resistor, as the load is minimum. I'll prob end up starting with a large resistor and work my way down to 3v, or good performance.

Some transmitters will work at higher voltages than the original product. In the past I've powered 9v transmitters with 3v and vice versa, everything worked fine. Some simple transmitters I bought online can operate with voltages ranging from 2.5 to 12.

If it's really important to you to run the transmitter at a higher voltage do a little investigating. Try googleing the main IC part number and find it's operating range. Likewise check the value of any other sensitive parts like electrolytic caps. If the IC can accept 9v but the caps are rated 5v you're out of luck and a regulator or proper voltage divider should be used.

I blew up a duplicate (spare parts) of this transmitter by applying 9v. Either way, right now this transmitter is giving me some problems with reception, I'm just gonna blow it up at the gravel pit and get a 9v transmitter of the same frequency.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back