Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reset the diode

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt it :(. What do you mean by 'reset'?

Do you mean when the diode goes from conducting in the forward direction to non-conducting in the reverse direction?

Honestly I don't know what that means. That's why I asked my question here. I encountered the "reset photo-diode or diode" in the paper I attached. I marked it with red highlight. I appreciate it if someone tells me what that means.

Attachments

• Y_12.pdf
    515.1 KB · Views: 155
That is a lot of manuscript to go through; however, it appears that the term "reset" is being used in the context of resetting (i.e., discharging) the charge on photodetector CMOS pixels.

With a narrower DR the image sensor pixels will saturate under lower illumination levels, i.e. will saturate earlier, and information will be lost.

John

I agree with John.
At a quick skim through the paper, I did not read it in detail because I am plain and simple not interested in the subject, it appears that the diode is providing a reset function to an integrator. Not that the diode itself is being reset.
JimB

imaging from a photo sensor involves integrating charge with a controlled gain then dump the charge and integrate again over a slow or fast interval. (Integrate, S&H then dump charge)

Smaller imagers have lower voltage and smaller dynamic range. This method shows how using dynamic pixel active reset can be controlled to extend the dynamic range by 3 bits or 8x or 18dB dynamic range after Reset noise has been cancelled. Thus the resulting charge voltage is increased in hardware by the stored number of resets per pixel.

The concept involves not doing a full reset which is too noisy, but a modulated diode partial reset to speed up integration time by injecting a pulsed current (Miller Theorom), to prevent saturation and improve dynamic range a bit ( or 3 bits per pixel with limited memory, which can be expanded.)

Last edited:
Thanks for explanation. From what you explained I don't understand this one "integrating charge with a controlled gain then dump the charge and integrate again". And I think this part is related to the term of "resetting" (definition of "resetting" here) which is still unclear to me. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

imaging from a photo sensor involves integrating charge with a controlled gain then dump the charge and integrate again over a slow or fast interval. (Integrate, S&H then dump charge)

The concept involves not doing a full reset which is too noisy, but a modulated diode partial reset to speed up integration time by injecting a pulsed current (Miller Theorom), to prevent saturation and improve dynamic range a bit ( or 3 bits per pixel with limited memory, which can be expanded.)

Would you please tell me what is the relation of "the injection of pulsed current" with "Miller Theorom"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back