Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

repair membrane cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GEN2TS

I have a keypad that is a membrane type keypad and the Flex-Tail or
part of the membrane that has the external connections has been cut. Does anybody have any suggestions for repair. Most of the connections
feed thru the upper layer of the membrane to a lower layer and don't terminate anywhere I can get to to solder to them unless I can get thru the outer protective layer. Any help would be appreciated.

sure if you take a knife you can carefully scrape off the outer layer to reveal the copper trace.. i'm thinking that they are those thick traces ?
also dont use a razor blade , too sharp.. use a pocket knife..or something similiar..

and scrape the side where the traces stick up a little bit .. there should be a totally flat side and a side where the traces stick up a little .. after you have it clean on both halves apply solder to both sides then use a piece of wire to make the connection..

Thanks Willieb,
That's similar to what I'm trying now. I took 660 grit sandpaper and scraped the top layer off with that down to the copper on both sides. Tinned the copper traces with solder and now I'm superglueing the 2 pieces back together. When that's dry I'll trine some fine wire to make the connections.. The biggest problem is that on the keypad side there's a thick black layer that gives it the stiffness covering the side I need to get to. As soon as I get heat close to it plastic oozes everywhere.

I do appreciate the help.

Joe

Sometimes you can repair thus using the conductive repair paint used for fixing defogger grids on car windows. It is a copper laden paint that is brushed on, like nail polish. It comes in small bottles and is available in auto suppliers. It won't take much flexing, but if the piece is supported, you can often make the repair. I have used it on small beaks in flexible PCB's. It's not going to be zero resistance, but over a short distance, it will be near enough to zero.

something like this:

https://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/s-10101/p-2490/c-10101

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back