Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Regulator Rcetifier - Voltage Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

DropLock

Hello.

A while back I posted a question regarding using a three phase regulator rectifier on a single phase alternator and I'm pleased to say the advice I greatfully received has proven to be right. So I'm back with a somewhat related question.

My previous post was in regard to using a MOSFET reg/rec which I installed on my 748 Ducati. I've become a convert to these MOSFET units and am currently in the process of replacing the OEM shunt type reg/rec on my 1098 Duc with the same fet unit.

I'll do my best to explain.

On the 1098 you can view a digital voltage readout of the charging system. To see this you have to access the menu of the instrument panel, scroll down and select "voltage" or some such.

The OEM R/R has, in addition to the 3 yellow wires for the stator, two black and two red whereas the replacement fet unit has only one red and one black (+ stator wires). The black goes to neg batt and red to pos batt via a 30amp fuse.

As I understand it there must be a circuit within the OEM R/R unit which provides feedback to enable this readout, which probably explains the second red wire.

My question is, is this the case and therefore if I install the fet unit I'll simply have to forego this function or is there some way to wire it up and still retain this function?. I realise I could install a stand alone voltmeter but would prefer not to.

What makes me question this is that there seems to be no seperation of the red power wires per se. I discovered the associated wires i.e. 2 red wires, one of which is a large guage, emerging from the loom comming from the instruments/key/whatever, plus the 2 from the R/R and one other that goes off to the fuse-> pos battery all crimped together.

Again, any advice or help on this would be much appreciated.

Joanne

The OEM R/R has, in addition to the 3 yellow wires for the stator, two black and two red whereas the replacement fet unit has only one red and one black (+ stator wires). The black goes to neg batt and red to pos batt via a 30amp fuse.

The best thing to do would be to obtain the schematic (wiring) diagram for your bike, then see where the "two black and two red" wires connect to.

That should give you enough information to see if the new aftermarket regulator can be used, and if so, how to attach it.

Thanks for your reply. I have since installed the mosfet reg and have retained the voltage readout as I'd hoped to.

Cheers. JO

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back