Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

More Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

Ok i have made simple 5v supplies from 7805's and 3v supplies most at 1A. What if i should need more power.

1A can do about 50 LEDs without the Micro counted for. What if i have 200-400 LED's or more?

How would i power all of them? would i have to make seperate supplies for about 50 each? so if i have 400 led that like 8-9 supplies(7805's) but then i still need a 10A or so supply.

Any info would be awesome. I don't have a project in mind for this just need to know info. (i dont want to get lost in future :) )

Ok i have made simple 5v supplies from 7805's and 3v supplies most at 1A. What if i should need more power.

1A can do about 50 LEDs without the Micro counted for. What if i have 200-400 LED's or more?

How would i power all of them? would i have to make seperate supplies for about 50 each? so if i have 400 led that like 8-9 supplies(7805's) but then i still need a 10A or so supply.

Any info would be awesome. I don't have a project in mind for this just need to know info. (i dont want to get lost in future :) )

hi atom,
As its for LED's they dont require a high spec regulation, you can use 7805/LM317 's etc with high current by pass transistors.
Not very efficient so I would consider a SMPS.
Easy 5V 10A switching regulator by L4970A | Circuit Project Electronic

BTW: hows the new venture going.?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Nice but only in UK so $20 S/H Fee :(
EXAR|SP1084V1-L|V REG LDO, 5A, ADJ, SMD, TO263 | Farnell UK

Nice! cheap but i need to learn how to effectively use PWM
MAXIM|MAX8546EUB+|CONTROLLER, STEP DOWN, 10-UMAX | Farnell UK

lol i know i know "i cant use PWM" well i know how to setup and all just not how to use it. I get confused maybe because im not focused on it or because no one ever tried to teach me it 1 on 1. But im sure ill learn it soon :D

Last edited:
Linear Technology also has some old fashioned 5.0a and 7.5a linear regulators. The LT1083 comes to mind.

I plan on using several 5v/1a SMPS buck regulators spread across the length of my signboard project. I'm using SMPS because the surplus 5-6 amp laptop power bricks I'm using produce about 15 vdc and linear regulators will just get much too hot with that amount of excess voltage on the input.

Good luck. Happy Holidays.

Mike

Last edited:
Mike that info got to me lol meaning like it the SMPS needs to be controlled by some frequency or PWM.
How would one control it then if it has to power the uC before the uC can send the PWM out to it?

I know there are PWM ICs but i don't know of them any makes or models just of their existence. :D

Do you have a example SMPS? Links or your own work (if willing to share)

From what i can tell so far:

It takes input and turns it ON/OFF for certain periods of time to create the power desired. The Inductor is used to stabilize the current and the capacitor is used to stabilize the voltage. The diode is used to make sure the current always is being reused as much as possible being fed back into the inductor.

Does that sound about right? (even tho simplified)

What i mean is what is best to control the FREQ. and how do you power it if this is your supply lol

EDIT
If only i knew how to make this:
MURATA POWER SOLUTIONS|78SRH-5/2-C|Switching Regulator IC | Newark.com

Last edited:
These SMPS regulators are pretty much self-contained except for adding a couple low ESR caps and a low resistance inductor. You don't need to feed them anything other than DC...

Mike

The LM2575S is tiny (How can you solder it? How will you cool it?) and is rated at a max output current of only 1A continuously.

heh thanks for input. As i said before i do need lots of power in the future.(i presume)
But i am also thinking of the present time where i use way less; such as 300mA - 600mA of power.

And from what i read and heard here a "SWITCHING REGULATOR / BUCK BOOST REGULATOR" can lower power consumption. Which would be a nice goal to achieve at the current time.

Soldering a TO-263 doesnt seem like it would be too tough just a bit harder or about the same as SOIC since it has less pins to mess with and can be held in place by tab it should be simpler . I just have to be more cautious. :D

Last edited:
so how do you switch it? like on/off if iwas to make one? What would be the best way? (or easiest)

I used a Micrel MIC4575 and all through hole parts on my first prototype

The 7805 type regulators would get incredibly hot as soon as I drew 100 ma or more through them when connected to these 15 volt laptop power bricks. The MIC4575 doesn't even get warm.

Happy Holidays. Mike

smps-buck-regulator-png.21093

Code:
Mouser

D1 [URL="https://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=1N5819virtualkey53310000virtualkey821-1N5819"]821-1N5819[/URL]          Schottky diode, 1a               0.09 ea
[FONT=Courier New]L1 [URL="https://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=18R683Cvirtualkey58010000virtualkey580-18R683C"]580-18R683C[/URL]         68 uh, 1.35a, radial    Murata   1.42 ea
C1 [URL="https://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=140-ESRL25V330-RCvirtualkey21980000virtualkey140-ESRL25V330-RC"]140-ESRL25V330-RC[/URL]   330 uf, 25wvdc, radial  Xicon    0.62 ea
C2 [URL="https://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=140-ESRL16V470-RCvirtualkey21980000virtualkey140-ESRL16V470-RC"]140-ESRL16V470-RC[/URL]   470 uf, 16wvdc, radial  Xicon    0.61 ea
---------------------------------------------------------------
Digikey
U1 MIC4575             Regulator, TO-220-5     Micrel   3.26 ea
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Last edited:
SMPS regulator parts are critical. Note that the inductor must have a very low DC resistance and the capacitors must be "low ESR".

Mike

Ok. Thanks its that im making a order soon from those places and dont want to have new s/h charges. If they fail then i know why(me being cheap :D )

I will thanks. Also can someone tell me if this is good. It seems to have alot of caps but i think its worth it to get nice clean voltage. I might add a inductor or 2 to stabilize the current. Something small perhaps.

power-png.24625

I dont know how to calculate the uH needed for the current. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• power.png
    power.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 256
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back