Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Meet Fettuccine 1.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Souper man

This is my 2nd successful robot in a row! Im so proud of myself...

Anyways, this is my robot, Fettuccine, 1.2 (fettuccine is the series of 555 timer robots, and 1.2 because it is my first one, the .2 because of a resistor change in the schemmy). It runs on 2 555 timers, 2 transistors, and all the components needed for astable operation.

It is a completely custom circuit! It is powered by a 3 volt battery pack that i made in 2 min by taping peice of wire from + to - and then a wire leading from teh opposite ends. I then wrapped it in electricians tape (bought 10 500ft reels for 2$!) and soldered into robot. The dual 555 are run in an isolated astable mode, with the resistor from pin 7 to pin 6 being a photoresistor. The output (pin 3) is connected to a 2907A PNP transistor, which its collector connected to the motors and green LED. I used a 10k resistor for the connections between pin 8 and pin 7, and a 10uf cap. between pin 1 and pin 2. This is exactly the same for the other 555, which are independent and run their own motor.

Everything is then encased in a chicken nugget container that i found in my moms tupperware (I had to fight her for it lol). The motors are bolted on using rector set peices, which are easy to use. It slows down when encountering bright light, and speeds up when encountering no light. I accidently put on 100k ohm resistors in place of the 10k, and it took the robot 1 minute to cover 6 in! Explanation of photos folo below.

1310: Note the "high quality" and patience into puting the circuit into its incasement. You can see the 'antennae' aka the photoresistors quite well (red things sticking out in bottom porton of photo)

1312: I think that was a close up image of the photoresistors, which diddnt turn out too well.

1313: better pic of photoresistor. You can also clearly see the coaster and my dog in the background, with the circuit board bolt in the foreground (coaster touches ground, look closelier).

1314: clearish image of the 2 555 and the transistors. Also the caps are easily identified.

1315: bad image of 555 yet again

If you have any questions, comments, or insults, please list them below! I appreciate your reply, cept insults =(

Attachments

• 100_1310.jpg
    100_1310.jpg
    795.3 KB · Views: 589
  • 100_1312.jpg
    100_1312.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 345
  • 100_1313.jpg
    100_1313.jpg
    501.9 KB · Views: 302
  • 100_1314.jpg
    100_1314.jpg
    440.9 KB · Views: 310
  • 100_1315.jpg
    100_1315.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 314
interesting little bugger. You could spare some time and learn how to make PCBs though ;) PCBs are so much neater and professional.

thank you blueroomelec.

I was going to buy the pcb maker thing at radioshack, since i dont know what to get and what to buy. Also, it cost only 10$ for a bunch of stuff

Thats cool. I love the name. lol I didn't think you were serious with the whole pasta thing:D

I like the chicken nugget contaner too. I'm a big fan of finding materials and adapting them to work, as opposed to always going out and buying somthing.

I like it. I made a similar robot, but I used legos for its chassis. I'm a big fan of improvising with materials too.

I like your choice of body. I used a different case for my body. I wanted something strong to last a year or two and be a sturdy platform to build on. I used a CD-ROM case.

Take 1 old computer CD-ROM drive and remove everything leaving just the 2 large metal pieces. It gives you two platform levels to connect boards and such, and they easy to find and use.

I mounted 2 servo motors on the bottom for the drive wheels and a standard hardware store caster-wheel for the 3rd wheel. It makes a good solid bot that will not bend out of shape running into things.

Hi Souper man! Nice work Nicely done :)

Souper man Can you tell me how is your ROBOT working (behaving).

How is it moving? only forward and reverse?

Does it have only two wheels? or with one center rotating wheel? Because I can see only two wheels.

When an object detected what does he do? Stops one motor & running other motor?

If the two sensors detect a wall (with the same distance) what does it do reverse or .......?

Last edited:
Gayan Soyza said:
Hi Souper man! Nice work Nicely done :)

Souper man Can you tell me how is your ROBOT working (behaving).

How is it moving? only forward and reverse?

Does it have only two wheels? or with one center rotating wheel? Because I can see only two wheels.

When an object detected what does he do? Stops one motor & running other motor?

If the two sensors detect a wall (with the same distance) what does it do reverse or .......?

Gayan Soyza: This is a very, very easy circuit, with it only going forward. It has 2 forward placed DC gearhead (20 rpm) motors with one coaster mounted in teh back. When it detects an object, it crashes! When 2 sensors sense the wall, the PWM changes, it either
a. slow down the motors and freq. if its bright
b. speeds up the motors and freq. if its dark

as for behavior, it has a average freq. of about .6, which is very slow, so you can easily tell when the motors are engaged (also by LED's). It runs about 5ft per min.

Downsides:
Only works in dark room(no light).
Both sensors cannot sense light (one or other, could use comparator, but wanted to use just 555), but if it does, it either stops or slows way down.

Goodsides:
Runs on 3v :)
Took 40min to make
used few parts
everybody loves it

Nicksan: The 555's are ran in astable mode, which you can reasearch it at my basic electronic website link

Souper man said:
a. slow down the motors and freq. if its bright
b. speeds up the motors and freq. if its dark

Hi Souper man! This means when one sensor is too close to the wall then it will dark & speeds the motor?

Then if no wall the sensor have enough bright & motor slows down.

Its like that?

Well, the sensors are rather small, so it may not react until it hits.

As for no wall, it slows down depending on how much light in room.

But yeah you have the basic idea, you will just have to build it yourself! :)

NO!!!!!!!!!!

You can build it from 2 555's in astable mode, with one of the resistors a CDs Cell! OMG I came up with this myself! I can't believe you couldnt from the description yourself!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.