Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Meet Spagetti 2.0/It pivots

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Souper man

I have just finished my Robot, called Spagetti 2.0/It pivots. After 8 hours of hard work in a cold basement, I have completed my analog robot. Its name is adapted from my line of future pasta bots, which this is the 2nd prototype of a line follower. It then has the "It piviots" part in it, because it pivots exceptionally well.
Parts list as follows:

Brains
LM393 Texas Instruments Comparator
2907A PNP Transistors
2 1K Ohm Resistors

Sensors
4 photoresistors
2 High Output white LED
150 Ohm Resistor
2 20k ohm trimpots

Motors and Indicators
Solarbotics GM3 Motors
2 Standard Output Green LED
2 Standard Output Yellow LED
2 1N5817 Diodes

Picture Discriptions as Follows:
1264: Picture of the 2 White LED, 2 20k trimpots, and the photosensors. The wires connect to molex connectors.

1265: Side View of Robot. You can see the power switch in foreground.

1266: Front View of Robot. You can see the Dark Line to Light Line switch. If you leave the switch in the center position you can use it to see if you can detect line colors. Very useful. Also, the space cavity is for the 2 nine volt batteries. One for the White LED's and the other for the circuit.

1267: Overhead View of Robot. The Comparator is clearly visible.

1268: Another View of the sensors.

It Follows the line very well, and can perform fairly good with a very old 9v battery.

Attachments

• 100_1264.jpg
    100_1264.jpg
    839.4 KB · Views: 373
  • 100_1265.jpg
    100_1265.jpg
    752.4 KB · Views: 317
  • 100_1266.jpg
    100_1266.jpg
    770.5 KB · Views: 401
  • 100_1267.jpg
    100_1267.jpg
    712.9 KB · Views: 319
  • 100_1268.jpg
    100_1268.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 295
Last edited by a moderator:
I like the nameing system by the way =) It's a good excuse for wild free running wires =>
Looks like you use some relativly heavy insulated wire for everything though. Should find yourself and old spool of Cat3 cable. Cat5 isn't so good, too many twists to unwind. But Cat3 can be destranded and stripped very easily. Higher gauge wire is as simple as using pairs. The insulation is good and with 4 pairs in a single extra insulator you can run busses easily and mess free. Then again it wouldn't look right if it was neat.

I use 24 gauge wire, which I think is good. I hear reccomendations for using 22 and even 26, but i think 24 is exellent. what is cat3?

AND, I buy it from radioshack, the solid 24 gauge 30ft rolls each. there is 3 colors each; red green and black. my science teacher stole my green wire >=0

Cat3 beats that hands down and is probably several orders of magnitude cheaper. It's 24 gauge wire, but the insulation is much thinner and it's 4 pairs of wires in 4 colors (8 if you include the fact that each pair is a solid and stripped version of the color) Bellow is a quick link which shows Cat3 and Cat5.

Cat5 is useless because destranding it with that many twists is an excercise in futility, cat3 doesn't have even close to as many twists. It's not as flexible as the wire you're using likley though as it's solid core wire not stranded. But as far as multi purpose use and flexibility goes you can't beat it. If you need a low gauge wire soldering/wireing all the pairs together as a single wire gives you the equivilant of 15 gauge wire. Pulling out the individual 24 gauge strands out of the sheating is relativly painless for lengths of a few feet.

The company I work for did some phone line upgrades many years ago and they had 500 feet of one roll of Cat3 leftover aftwards which I got to take home. I'll never have to buy wire again =)

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I still Think I will use regular 24 guage wire. Its easier to look at lol

My first pasta bot, called spagetti 1.0 was horrendous. That was many years ago, when I diddnt know what a resistor was. It was 2 motors hooked up to a 3v battery pack. yeah, I refuse to admit that was my first pasta bot, and I will instead call it my first "experimental robot design"

I just Modified my robot a little bit:

Raised the Circuit Board half inch to decrease chance of short circuiting from the motor casing
Added 3 Standard Output Red LED's to make it look cooler

6v battery pack with rechargeables

Man this is so cool

extended a few more leads and reinforced connections

I made a few more modifications to my robot

Refer to picture 1266. I mounted the motors on the other side of the alumium flashing. I then put the AA battery pack inside the chassis. I then put a bracket around the Photoresistors to protect them from buming into stuff and bending(once a major problem)

I then tweaked the trimpot for the sensors. it now follows it better, but still needs to be teaked some more. now its too sensitive.

Hey, the pictures look good/clear! (finally :D )

I always love doing all analog/logic robots. It's fun to distill the programming down to the essential parts and then divide it into logic.

I think I turned a sumo robot into 4 chips -- AND,NOT, and 2 555s. If I find it I'll post it, but I have a feeling it was thrown out.

Nice job, and you're back to using this nick again?

Roshangeorgev: No, buy the book Robot building for beginners. HINT: Comparator :D

Bob: Sounds interesting! I will have to google it :) No I am not using that nickname. Honestly how did roshangeorge find this?

Last edited:
No, its not your fault at all.

What is the name of that sumo bot? Sounds really cool :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back