Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

leds voltage regulating diode

Status
Not open for further replies.

linuxglobal

Does anyone have a calculator that includes diodes in the wiring diagram. All of the ones ive seen so far use resistors only.

This is what i have in mind.

20 superflux amber leds
2v, 60ma -70 maeach.

in 4 arrays of 5 leds.

I dont know how to use a voltage regulator.

THanks in advance.

You don't use a voltage regulator for LEDs. You limit the current with a resistor or a current regulator.

Are your LEDs rated for such a high current? Most LEDs operate at only 20mA with 30mA as max.

audioguru said:
You don't use a voltage regulator for LEDs. You limit the current with a resistor or a current regulator.

Are your LEDs rated for such a high current? Most LEDs operate at only 20mA with 30mA as max.

most but not all. my boss has some ultra-bright LED's that take 1A (they drop 6V mind)

Styx said:
my boss has some ultra-bright LED's that take 1A (they drop 6V mind)
If you used 20 of them on a car then they would blind everybody and would be so hot that you could cook a meal on them. :lol:

You can also use ordinary transistors to regulate the current for LEDs:

Attachments

• led_current_sink_182.gif
    led_current_sink_182.gif
    4.3 KB · Views: 413
thanks

By the way, these are superflux. They have the square bases and they are made to burn hotter = more light. Im sure some of you have seen them, the sit a little above the circuit board (1mm) and they have 4 legs (2 identical) for the power leads.

I found out 50ma is a safe operating voltage. THey are not super bright because they have a 70 degree viewing angle, therefore the light is very spread out vs the traditional 20 degree 5mm leds.

Thanks for the help guys and audioguru for the diagrams. I think i will use transistors. I read an article of some sort of wiring diagram that use diodes (thats why i brough it up) kinda like veins. The diagram had a valve sorta shape. With current only being allowed in one direction.

IT was neat, and they were called diodes...

You guys know best.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back