Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Italian Bomb makers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super_voip

I recently saw on the news that the Italian police had rounded up some "terrorists" who had plans for long range detonators. We haven't seen too many Italians, at least not mentioned in profiles, so maybe there is another source on the internet that knows how to make remote control devices, not just us. Why don't just tell anyone who wants to know how to make a long range device and what the critical mass for uranium is?

The terrorists we are fighting in Iraq, are said to be worldwide. Any non-muslim (extremist) country can and has be a victim. I try to post a reminder that everything posted in this forum, also shows up in a google search. And discussing things, such as using a cellphone for a remote on/off switch (recent post) is a bad idea, no telling who will find the information, or how it will be used. It's unfortunate, but when you can by a disposiable cellphone at Walmart for $14.97, even kids could afford to make use.

What is ment by "long range"? a mile? 20 miles?

To build a remote detonator from scratch would take a bit of knowledge, with emphasis on RF design. I can't imagine a terrorist deciding to go this route and using internet forums to get instructions on how to do it.

Hacking a remote controlled model or a cell phone seem like somthing just about anyone could figure out with little or no help.

I still agree that some things should not be discussed openly though. Even if a OP has good intentions for a remote project, the thread remains here for search engines to find and anyone to read.

I always get a little leery when I see these projects that are said to be for detonating fireworks.

Super_voip said:
Why don't just tell anyone who wants to know how to make a long range device and what the critical mass for uranium is?

Perhaps I am a bit of a redneck. Mutual Assured Distruction worked! There has not been a single nuclear device launched as a weapon since both sides had them.

The probem with the War on Terror can be related to the French philosopher who said you cannot win a war you can afford to lose. That was said with respect to Vietnam. And, the US proved him right. We have now proved him right in some other conflicts too.

It is not really a war on terror, it's an excuse for our governments to get into our beds and take away whatever freedoms we thought we had. The US government would prefer we spend our time and money watching NFL, particularly the vulgar end-zone displays, and reality shows, instead of exercising our intellectual curiosity. I could not even buy a sensitive (10 mg) balance in the US without using professional contacts and proving I was not a drug dealer.

As for 9-11, at least one of the four airplanes would probably have survived had the passengers been armed. School shootings and other domestic acts of terror would be short lived, if everyone were allowed to carry weapons. As one might expect, a student who was told to "think outside the box" and suggested that, was suspended pending psychiatric evaluation.

Back to the original post... I am far more concerned about our government actions than I am about giving away secrets that are not really secrets. They have just been labeled that way to make us think something is being done.

I's been a long day. Please excuse the outburst. John

Anyone with the proper training and expertise in explosives, likely wouldn't even consider or need to build their own from web designs. Anyone else is too careless and wreckless to have access to such information. I agree it wouldn't be too tough to re-purpose a walkie-talkie or some R/C toy, but I also recognize the possiable false signals that could be fatal. People have to be a little crazy to mess with explosives anyway, just one little static spark...

It is "an honour" for those weirdos to blow themselves up and wipe out some of us at the same time. They don't want a timer.
They should have their own planet.

audioguru said:
It is "an honour" for those weirdos to blow themselves up and wipe out some of us at the same time. They don't want a timer.
They should have their own planet.

If we let these scum bags get the upper hand, they will have their own planet,........THIS ONE!:mad:

ericgibbs said:
If we let these scum bags get the upper hand, they will have their own planet,........THIS ONE!:mad:

Could happen, but I doubt it. By definition, extremists are in the minority. And their methods don't help their numbers grow. :) But you certainly can't reason with someone who thinks blowing himself up will get him 72 virgins and a seat beside God.

I think we may be hunting the hands of the beast while the head hides elsewhere.

Anyway, on some levels they've already won, or at least scored: people on this side of the pond appear to be willing to sacrifice freedom for safety, or at least for the perception of safety. All the while eating themselves into early graves.

My worry is that nobody will have a planet. Some brilliant idiot will probably work out zero-point energy. Then someone who figures the universe would be better off without us will get their hands on it. Or else something in the ancient US or ancient Russian missile systems will go on the fritz or someone sitting at the red button will drink too much coffee and oops!

Torben

I agree that the end will most likely come from from human error or carelessness, and not a deliberate act. I wonder if they did any projections on how long it would take for the suicide bombers to eliminate theirselves?

I imagine most countries with nuclear weapons, have a stock of hidden weapons. Likely a few lost or forgotten. Still think it likely that Iraq had something more then what was found. Saddam had a lot of cash (literally), and pretty much any toy or gadget he wanted. Things were tough in Russia after the fall of comunism, and a little chaotic... Iraq is a large country, and having weapons inspections hanging over Sadam's head since the first Bush war, he would have had done something to hide all his best stuff. He was all about the power and control, no doubt he would have spared no expense.

US military is fully of uncaring slackers, fortunately not a majority. Don't expect our weapons are inspect or maintained precisely or regularly. Some are probably older than myself.

For long range remote control, I think most of the people asking, don't have any bad intentions. And it's a shame to turn them away, but there are too many people looking for a 'cool' weekend project, that would use it to harm others. I'm deeply concerned about the school kids these days. Been several school shootings this year. Here in Florida, one kid had quite a collection of weapons, guns, knives, swords, even a live hand grenade. Somebody turned him in, before he had a chance to do anything.

I thought I saw a news report that all but 1 of the guns were Airsoft replicas, the hand grenade? But your right there have been more people killed by domestic violence than were killed by 9-11, it just makes better news footage.
Why not a war on domestic violence?

Super_voip said:
Why not a war on domestic violence?
How about a war on traffic accidents? Or, a war to end all wars. Hmmmmm, seems I have heard that one before :D

John

jpanhalt said:
How about a war on traffic accidents? Or, a war to end all wars. Hmmmmm, seems I have heard that one before :D

John

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

Torben

Haven't mobile phone manufacturers made the perfect remote detonator. I can set mine to silent but make it vibrate if it is in my family list. Perfect detonator, works at silly distances and can be configured so only specific phones can trigger it.

Mike.

Pommie said:
Haven't mobile phone manufacturers made the perfect remote detonator. I can set mine to silent but make it vibrate if it is in my family list. Perfect detonator, works at silly distances and can be configured so only specific phones can trigger it.

Mike.

Yeah, this is not new, seen this in movie years ago. The movies really give people fantastic ideas.

Terrorists need to have two cell phones. Then the terrorist phones his other phone so he blows up.

TheVictim said:
I always figure the world will be engulfed in self-replicating nanotech gone apesh*t.
Don't worry about the world.
Pretty soon all the terrorists will have blown themselves up and they will be gone.

Oh yeah. The North Koreans and Iranians are a different story. Dig a nuclear shelter.

Did I miss something here?

I didn't know that Italians are bomb makers.

They make things like a round piece of plywood covered with sausages and other stuff and call it Pizza. :D

The "meat" on pizzas today is so thin that you can see through it.

In the good old days a medium all dressed pizza was big and heavy, not anything like the tiny wimpy ones today. They were inexpensive then too, now they cost a fortune for just a piece of bread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back