Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing Arduino with LM3915

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClydeCrashKop

Most Helpful Member
After searching the internet, I got a lot of clues but no answer. Here is the answer.

The LM3915 bar / dot display driver wants an analog input up to 1.25 volts where the tenth LED comes on.
Arduino analog output is actually PWM at 5 volts, using a 5 volt supply.
This gets a smooth voltage between 0 v. & 1.25 volts.
If it matters, I am using a 1K resistor between the pins 6&7 pair and ground on the LM3915.

Arduino PWM RC filter.jpg

Last edited:
DAC would be another option but perhaps overkill :D

A more detailed analysis:

I account for the Atmega328's Digital Port Pin output impedance and the LM3915's input bias current. If the PWM frequency is 490Hz, here is the startup (full scale pwm=255) settling time and final value (a bit too high if pwm=255). A pwm value = 202 gets above V(in)=1.25V:

364.gif

Here is the ripple after settling with pwm=127 (half scale, worst case):

364a.gif

Last edited:
Thanks MikeMI
25mV ripple is pretty good. Does the LM3915 mind getting 1.6 volt input?
"Input Signal Overvoltage ±35V. Pin 5 input current must be limited to ±3 mA. The addition of a 39k resistor in series with pin 5 allows ±100V signals without damage."
Am I okay there?

I am using a MSGEQ7 connected to the analog 0 input of a Arduino Uno. I am sending the 5 lower frequency volume signals with PWM to 5 LM3915 chips which drive 5 columns of bright white 10 LED bar graph displays. It looks great with fast flashes to the beat and notes. The 50 LEDs are mounted in holes from the back of a 8" wide X 10" high sheet of Plexiglas. I intend to add colors when I find tinted plexi, plastic or cellophane. It will fit into a clear box type picture frame.

Last edited:
Measure the ripple with pwm=128?

Write a test program that slowly changes the pwm value from 0 to 255 in steps of 1 { for(pwm=0;pwm<256;pwm++}, dwelling on each value about 1sec {millis(1000) so it takes 256 sec to cycle from zero back to zero}. Watch the LEDs. How long do two adjacent LEDs overlap before you get only one on?

Filter ripple test.

LED 1 comes on at PWM 6
LED 2 comes on at PWM 10, two LEDs are on for 1 second.
LED 3 comes on at PWM 16, two LEDs are on for 1 second.
LED 4 comes on at PWM 24, two LEDs are on for 1 second.
LED 5 comes on at PWM 35, two LEDs are on for 1 second.
LED 6 comes on at PWM 50, two LEDs are on for 1 second.
LED 7 comes on at PWM 70, two LEDs are on for 1 second.
LED 8 comes on at PWM 100, two LEDs are on for 1 second.
LED 9 comes on at PWM 140, two LEDs are on for 3 seconds.
LED 10 comes on at PWM 200, two LEDs are on for 5 seconds.

The last 2 fade in and out gradually.
It looks good this way in dot mode but LED #1 stays on dim when higher ones are lit.
I have pin 9 wired to pin 11 as per the data sheet for dot mode.
I may go back to bar mode but that abuses my 7805 1 amp regulator with a lot of LEDs lit.

Last edited:
Read through this forum thread for an idea how to create a better filter (which would have just one LED on at a time)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back