Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inchworm project started

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes thats it oscillator module .. thanks..
can you confirm , that with the chip programmed for the crystal , wether it will work with an oscillator module?
it should i think ... but dont remember ?

It will work with either a crystal with caps or a ceramic resonator. I do not know what oscillator module you have. I am guessing you looked at the spec sheet when you hooked it up. I see wires to power and ground. If it was compatible it would only have the ground wire and two wires going to the processor. So either you have it wired wrong or it is not compatible with the chip as programmed.

I think the module you have is a stand alone frequency/clock source. The crystals and resonators both require the processor to excite them.
The module does not.

Could be wrong.

Last edited:
3v0 said:
I think the module you have is a stand alone frequency/clock source. The crystals and resonators both require the processor to excite them.
The module does not.
Could be wrong.

thats sort of good , because it did not work , as wired..
what i usually do when testing if a PIC is running ,is put the clock source on pin 13 and the scope on pin 14 to test for output, of 1/4 the osc frequency..

If you have access to a programmer like a JDM (as long as it's not a LVP) here's the 16F877A hex file (A only) with ICD2 bootloader & OS already done.

If you need the 16F877-20 version with OS leave reply.

Attachments

• Inchworm16F877A with OS.zip
    11.3 KB · Views: 122
blueroomelectronics said:
If you have access to a programmer like a JDM (as long as it's not a LVP) here's the 16F877A hex file (A only) with ICD2 bootloader & OS already done.

If you need the 16F877-20 version with OS leave reply.

yes i have the 16F877-20
i had hoped to be programming by now.
i also had hoped to not have to use my other programmer anymore.
because the machine it is on went south( kaput) the hard drive is still intact and i do have another machine with an ISA bus .
its gonna take hours to get everything together , but yeah post the zip for the 877 , thanks.

it ocurred to me that i never showed yall a pic of My PIC programmer

Attachments

• programm.JPG
    programm.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 151
  • Picture 086.jpg
    Picture 086.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 152
That has to be the most complicated PIC programmer ever built. You could probably replace all that logic with 1 pic chip. :D :D

Mike.

Either you are pulling our collective legs or you have somthing other then a pic programmer on that board. There are over 20 chips on it. The schematic is much simpler. Maybe parts left over from a prior use of the board.

Anyway that aside. Did you verify that the Inchworm PIC was programmed?

3v0 said:
Either you are pulling our collective legs or you have somthing other then a pic programmer on that board. There are over 20 chips on it. The schematic is much simpler. Maybe parts left over from a prior use of the board.

You're too recent a member to have seen the original thread, it's a PIC programmer built as a plug-in card for a PC - the masses of chips are the PC bus interfacing, presumably only a small section is the actual programmer?.

You see why we all considered it a silly idea!.

You are both right , if you look closely i am only using nine ICs , the rest are sockets , and i'm not using the Z80 PIO , in the upper left of the component side , it was left over from a previous project.
the programmer has a long cable 8 to 10 feet a nice feature ,the MCLR signal is driving the gate of a FET , located on my breadboard , i used to send the 12V signal down the cable , untill i realized that i just needed the FET at the other end. Much faster switching this way..

i dont have it working properly , yet , so i dont know if the Inchworm chip is programmed yet. i was'nt planning on using it anymore , oh well mabe one last time..

I am hoping Someone can spot something in these settings that is wrong..

i have not connected the target , SHOULD I ?

this has been the most frustrating project that i have ever tried to work on.

Attachments

• icd.JPG
    icd.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 129
  • icd settings.JPG
    icd settings.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 147
  • icd power.JPG
    icd power.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 134
  • icd settings2.JPG
    icd settings2.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 127
  • icd output3.JPG
    icd output3.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 133
  • com.JPG
    com.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 139
  • fifo.JPG
    fifo.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 137
Baud rate can be either 19200 or 57600 either will work.

For this thing to connect it needs serial com through to the outputs of MAX232 and a working OSC and not a lot more.

Need to know what you did since your last post.

Have you verify that the crystal is working ? If you can not use the scope try a logic probe, test it on a working pic first if you got one.

Have you verified that the RS232 is working through to the TTL side of the MAX232?

Are you using the supplied 877 or did you program a replacement ?

This kit is not a hard build. It would be better if the instructions built and tested the RS232 prior to adding the processor and the rest.

Thasnks for your response 3V0
i have some time today
i am going to test the max232
and your other sugestions.

"Have you verify that the crystal is working ? "
no not yet , i tried but , it does not appear to be.

"Are you using the supplied 877 or did you program a replacement ?"
i'm using the supplied one

i was busy ,since my last post ,but i am trying to get My old programmer working , so i can verify that the 877 is programmed.

can you tell me if your programmer green light blinks twice when trying to connect , without the power connected to the programmer?
mine does.

Have you ever noticed the busy LED flashing?

You may have a com port problem, try com1 instead. Even better do you have another pc to test it with, a friends perhaps.

I've now built and tested oodles of inchworms. They were designed to be as simple as possible to get running. The tricky part is a decent serial port and a 1:1 straight through male-female rs232 cable.

It also needs power, some people don't hook up a wall wart to it and wonder why it doesn't work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back