Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IC-PROG and PIC16F877A - "Verify failed at data address 0000h!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pati

Hi guys.

I want to program a PIC16F877A through IC-PROG (people say it's a very good software).
I also built a hardware in order to program it, following the schematics AN589 (https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/02/an589.pdf).

Everything is connected the way they are supposed to be. However, when I run IC-PROG and should have my ic burnt, I get the message "Verify failed at data address 0000h!" after programming and verifying. (It means nothing was even burnt, right?)

I've already checked the parallel port and I'm able to access it.
And I realized that when it's in 'programming mode' (when the software says it's being programmed) the voltage in MCLR is 13,5V, while in non-programming mode it's 5V. So, does it mean the ic-prog is really trying to program PIC?

I have tried to adjust delayIO, but nothing worked ):
Maybe the software IC-PROG are misconfigured, I don't know what's going on.

Can anybody help me?
I'm running out of ideas of what to do!

Thaanks.

Last edited:
Perhaps you might have noticed that the antique programmer only specifies 16C84 - it's an incredibly old (and very poorly designed) programmer - I wasn't aware that IC-Prog (or anything else) even supported it?.

Luckily (back in those far off days) David Tait came along and designed far better parallel port programmers - his first was a bit poor (he wasn't a hardware guy), but a few modifications (not using CMOS switches) resulted in the basic design that all parallel port programmers have followed since. This is why David is widely regraded as "the father of PIC programmers".

Your error is almost always caused by the PIC not getting set to programming mode.

I believe PIC gets set to programming mode cause there's 13.5V at MCLR while software "tries" to program my chip...

I was wondering if the problem could be the cable... The one I'm using is a 1.5-meter-long cable and I had bad experiences concerning the cable length when I was working with 8051...

Do you think a decrease of its length would be helpful?

I believe PIC gets set to programming mode cause there's 13.5V at MCLR while software "tries" to program my chip...

It's not just a question of doing that, there's a specific sequence that needs to be met.

I was wondering if the problem could be the cable... The one I'm using is a 1.5-meter-long cable and I had bad experiences concerning the cable length when I was working with 8051...

Do you think a decrease of its length would be helpful?

It could be?, in my experience if you're doing ICSP then the leads from programmer to target need to be VERY short (unless the programmer is designed for it).

Good. I've shortened the cable to 0.4meter and it still doesn't work. (Damn!)

I'll keep on trying to find the problem...
Any idea, let me know! :)

Last edited:
Maybe try a different PC? I had a similar error when trying to program a PIC 18F using the pickit2. The PC was 5-7 years old at the time, I switched PCs and it programmed just fine.

Have you tried pulling the pgm pin to ground?

What operating system are you using on your pc? Ic-Prog requires an add on if using anything above Win ME

My OS is Windos XP. I'm aware I need a driver if I want the program to run correctly and I ahve already downloaded it.
Also, I got another program called "AllowIO", which allows the access to I/Os.
Nothing seemed to help :(

The parallel port is enabled (control panel)...

yeah...

Now that I've changed the PC, it seems that my parallel port isn't answering. When I ask to have a pin set, it doesn't do so.
A bigger problem, I suppose ):

Nice, if I turn it off, I will not know if the program was really burnt in my PIC... right?

uhn... I'm having troubles w/ my parallel port >.<

It doesn't obey me! haha
I mean, to test it I ask to set a pin, but it doesn't do so :/
Trying to solve this problem :/

Now my parallel port is working well, buuuut i can't burn my ic :/

Now, I've been analysing the signal with an oscilloscope and, according to this file (https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/03/16f87x-flash-programming.pdf), I can know what should be the signal sent/received

I notice the circuit is receiving the signals it's supposed to. I mean, when I ask to have it erased, the sequence of data and clock is exactly the sequence shown in that "datasheet"...

Any ideas!? D:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back