Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Traffic lights and push button

Baggo

Hi first time poster (hopefully I’m on the right place!)

My 9 year old son has a special interest in traffic lights, road signs and level crossings. He has been asking if we could make a traffic light with a push button (no pressure lol).

I was wondering if anyone could possibly point me in the right direction with maybe a wiring diagram with the components I’d need?

I’ve looked on YouTube but I can’t seem to find the right thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

There are dozens of simple circuits around using a 555 time and 4017 counter IC.

Example here:

To make it step only when a button is pressed, connect the button contacts in between pin 7 on the 555 and the junction of R2 and the speed pot P (which will allow it to step as long as the button is held in), or disconnect pin 7 and add the button with a 100 Ohm resistor in series across C1; that will only step each time the button is pressed.

The basic approach is a CD4017 Johnson Counter and a pushbutton switch. That gets you an electronic circuit that steps through a pattern with each button press. It has 10 outputs, and any of them can be used to reset the pattern. For example, the pattern can be shortened to only 3 stages with a simple wiring connection.

The 4017 has an input that is perfect for a simple pushbutton control signal. After that, it's all about the display. To start, how large? How many directions? Single little LEDs, small clusters of LEDs, etc?

ak

Last edited:

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back