Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How did they stop Global Warming so quickly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BrownOut,
Just a heads up. The winter Olympics are in Vancouver/Whistler, British Columbia. Not Alberta. ;)

Last edited:
The taxpayers in BC are feeling ripped off alright. :D

Remember. S.L.C Utah. we got ripped!

I have no Idea if we will ever receive benefit or not?

In light of the recent decline in the economy, it's going to be a long time adding to the cold. It will be the cold hard budget.

Last edited:
They should have had the winter Olympics here in Minot North Dakota this year. We have our normal cold winter weather and snows back now for the second year in a row! :eek:

But for about 5 - 6 years before that we didn't see snow that stayed until after new years and even then it wasn't enough for the snowmobiles to even ride on for the rest of the winters. :(
But the 4 wheelers got around well those winters on their behalf! :D

Now we are back to normal except for the cooler summer last year. ;)

BrownOut,
Just a heads up. The winter Olympics are in Vancouver/Whistler, British Columbia. Not Alberta. ;)

My alologies, eh? I had it right to start with. Guess I was listening to the reports of lack of snow in Alberta as I was writing, and subconsciously changed the location. :)

Didnt the Salt Lake city summer Olympics have some problems with the local weather and conditions not being cooperative as well? I seem to recall a number of shows detailing the behind the sceens work that went into getting things to work properly for a number of events. I think the show "How did they do that?" covered part of the stuff related to it once.

In light of the recent decline in the economy, it's going to be a long time adding to the cold. It will be the cold hard budget.
Our Provincial government has delayed the release of the budget until after the games. It won't be pretty. :(

I guess you mean Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. I don't recall seeing any footage of Sikorsky S-64 helicoptors flying in snow for the ski venues. This isn't just a little Olympic glitch, Vancouver is suffering it's warmest winter on record. The average temperature in January was 44.9 degrees, surpassing any previous year, and much warmer than it's historic January average of 37.9 degrees.

Last edited:
Didnt the Salt Lake city summer Olympics have some problems with the local weather and conditions not being cooperative as well?

For the most part Greatest Snow on Earth is true. I have for one Skied the best powder anyone has ever seen to boot. I got off the lift one time when no one had left tracks.

All I can say it was one of the best experiences in my life. A keeper.

The Olympics was sort of an off Winter for us. That left everyone Stifled, because the snow was huge the winter before that.

Sorry I was reading about the past summer Olympics on another screen and miss typed. :eek:

Besides its Utah, its not like anyone paid any attention to what went on then any way. It was years ago now. :p

As I have been reading it seems every Olympic games location always has had some trouble in one way or another. Its just a matter of how that trouble relates to something else that was also a hot topic in the media at the time that determines how big of fuss they make over it.

Some had politics play out as a big issue because of why one place got picked instead of another. Others had participant drug and legality issues and others had tourist and local community issues. Still everyone had something that the media picked to make a stink about more than anything else justified or not.

Besides its Utah, its not like anyone paid any attention to what went on then any way. It was years ago now. :p

Taking shots eh, well you have Sencore in your neck of the woods. Been there done that.

Still I think your side of the country is a pretty good looking section.;)

Don't get to jealous of our Majestic Mountains and Scene's found that clash with everything anyone can comprehend all in one tiny area. The only other location would probably be Australia.

Last edited:
I grew up in Oregon, on the side of Mount Hood, about 45 minutes from year-round skiing. Snow machines and hauling snow isn't that strange at all. People want fresh snow, now slush or solid ice. From the front of my house, the mountain was usually always white with snow, but there were a few summers where it was just at the top, and no skiing at all for a month or so. Nature doesn't always cooperate.

Thing that bugs me most, is that the guys who claim to have their finger on the pulse of the planet, and can tell us for a fact that CO2 is going to burn us all up in a few hundred years, didn't see this coming, and to scramble to figure out an explanation, after. If they did know, but didn't share, because it doesn't help the Warming cause, then it would indicate there was some other motive, other than to save mankind from self-destruction. I still believe this is more than a science issue, it's a push to gain political control over fuel and energy production and use. That's a lot of power over the people, and just just the beginning, since CO2 can't be the only thing we need to change, seem like a relatively minor one. It's a start, be we have to do more. Face it, when it becomes law, we are all going to pay heavily, and still have to do without. It's cold now (mid 30's), but it would be worse without the heater running. I've got two dead trucks, Explorer-transmission, Nissan-throttle body/carburetor, transportation has been rough for about a week now. We are looking at double our energy and fuel cost, or more, plus sinking our savings into shiny new replacements, to help offset the higher operating costs. Obama-care is starting to look more promising, since I won't have anything set aside, to handle any health issues.

What does grooming snow in Oregon have to do with all-time record high temperatures in Canada? This winter has shattered warm records in British Columbia, and the lack of snow is due to this all time high record. The average temperature in January was 44.9 degrees, surpassing any previous year, and much warmer than its historic January average of 37.9 degrees. That's a pretty severe warm up. The problem isn’t just a lack of snow, but also the snow that’s trucked and flown in is melting faster than it can be replenished, turning the slopes into giant muddy slogs. Sure weather doesn't cooperate. That doesn't prove or disprove a thing. The eastern US has had some colder than normal temperatures in the last few weeks while the rest of the continent has had normal or warmer than normal temperatures.

What is important is recent years are the warmest on record. The warmest 11 years have occurred in the past 13 years. There are very important implications to the temperature rise that is occurring. We should understand this and take actions to reduce out warming agents that we introduce into the environment. The scientists that study the problem are only attempting to warn of a possible impending danger, and should not be ignored or disparaged. It does no good to anyone to deny the data or try to distort the facts.

Once again, the bottom line to all this is kicking Al Gore in the nuts. We'll all feel better afterwards while he crawls back home to cuddle up next to his "Father of the Internet" wall certificate.

HiTech......I don't want Al Gore to craw home this way.
Al has made millions off galbol warming. I think if you kick him in the nuts money will fall out of his pockets..... I am starting to like this idea. I need to put another log on the fire it is cold here.

The warmest year was in 2006.
Warmest Year on Record – Highest Temperatures – Global Warming Temperatures

Unless you use a different source or data analysis method.
Temperature record since 1880 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sort of convenient how things started warming up the same they cut back on using data recording from the colder locations! (Open Rural areas Vs Urban heat island effect influenced areas) ;)
2008 Coldest Year Since 2000 and Clearly Not a Top Ten Warmest Year An Honest Climate Debate

Also I have noticed that the global warming followers seem to have this pattern of thought.

If the weather in their particular region is perceived as having worsened in some way global warming and climate change is real.

If the weather in some other region is perceived as having worsened in some way global warming and climate change is real.

If the weather stayed the same in their particular region it proves nothing.

If the weather stayed the same in other regions it proves nothing.

If the weather got better in their particular region it proves nothing.

If the weather got better in some other particular region it proves nothing.

If the weather got cooler in their particular region it proves nothing.

If the weather got cooler in some other particular region it proves nothing.

Anyone else see a convenient pattern here? ;)

Last edited:
Anyone else see a convenient pattern here? ;)

Actually no. The people who follow the scientific research use long term climate trends and don't rely on weather. It's the opposition crowd who uses weather, which was the whole premise of the thread starter in the first place. They use singular events in a desperate attempt to find something.... anything to malign the science, no matter how insignificant, or singluar in nature.

Global temperatures are for land, air and sea. The author needs to tell us how all those urban centers got into the ocean!

Last edited:
Same old thing over and over, eh? Nothing new or informative ever, just hate climate change/global warming guys, not enough proof, etc. Florida getting cold, Canada heating so much there is no snow for the Winter Olympics. Maybe they should move the Olympics to Alabama; we have more snow than BC. Summers have become so brutally hot that the Harper's Ferry Nuclear plant has to shut down during parts of the summer because the river water that cools the reactors is too hot and won't get the job done. This January, a tornado hit my home town of Huntsville and tore up the historic district. THIS HAS NEVER happened before in January! Winter tornados used to be unheard of, until the last few years. Now, we live under the threat year-round. I heard them testing the warning system just days before the event; they know there is no longer a tornado season, it can happen any time of the year now.

I researched the cold weather to find out the cause. It's not a long term trend, rather a strange reversal where the Eastern US has arctic conditions, Northern latitudes have unseasonal warmth, Western N. America is pretty much normal. The cause appears to be ocean warmed air that moved into Canada and split the jet stream, allowing arctic air to spill into the Eastern US. By the end of the month, we'll probably be getting more tornados.

It's the opposition crowd who uses weather, which was the whole premise of the thread starter in the first place. They use singular events in a desperate attempt to find something.... anything to malign the science, no matter how insignificant, or singluar in nature.

Okay Now you have me confused. which side are you on? :rolleyes:

Its pretty clear where I stand on the over all issue.

Sorry, My fault. I let my tire fire go out. I will go relight it tomorrow. :eek:

:)

I can't even imagine how you stay so confused. Maybe it's voluntary.

I researched the cold weather to find out the cause. It's not a long term trend, rather a strange reversal where the Eastern US has arctic conditions, Northern latitudes have unseasonal warmth, Western N. America is pretty much normal.

Last edited:
Summers have become so brutally hot that the Harper's Ferry Nuclear plant has to shut down during parts of the summer because the river water that cools the reactors is too hot and won't get the job done.

So how did this nuclear power plant get shut down by global warming? That doesn't seem possible or likely that a river gets that hot but rather that some facts and information are being misrepresented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back