Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How did they stop Global Warming so quickly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. No misrepresentation of facts. My facts are facts. Rivers do get that hot. I live here and I swim in those waters. It gets like bath water in there. Just because facts are inconvenient to you do not mean they are being misrepresented.

PS: I meant Browns Ferry nuclear plant, not Harpers Ferry. Been watching too many Civil War documentaries on History.

Last edited:
Guess swimming next to a nuclear plant is perfectly safe... Don't think I'd go there myself, but seldom swim in the lakes around here either, not exactly crystal clear, like where I grew up. Up until this winter, our weather has been fairly mild these past 4 years or so. 2004 was bad for hurricanes, but pretty much nothing since. We don't get the daily thundershowers, tornadoes are kind of rare these days, still have gotten to see one. Guess I'll have to go to Alabama if I want to witness natures fury. Olympic snow was never a guarantee at such a low altitude, doubt this was the first time they had a dry spell. It happens, I grew up here ski reports daily, the entire year. It really doesn't mean a thing, except bad planning. Sounds like the site was pick more to attract spectators, and not for the competition. All about the dollar (or whatever they use in Canada).

I moved to Florida, to get away from the endless cold weather, and this is just like out west, except no snow. Three months without a break, isn't Global Warming. Still don't know why the Climate guys didn't see this coming. Got a freeze warning for tonight, guess I'll have some more plants to pull up this weekend. Already lost my orange last time, the one they called a 'blip'. Really hope my palm tree pulls through, planted it when it was only 3 feet tall, about 15 feet now. The giant bird-of-paradise looked kind of rough after the last freeze, but seem to come through okay, started it from seed (not easy).

"It" happens, except winter temperatures as warm as this winter in Canada's BC have NEVER happened. Some seem to not be able to read, so I post this for the third time: This winter has shattered warm records in British Columbia, and the lack of snow is due to this all time high record. The average temperature in January was 44.9 degrees, surpassing any previous year, and much warmer than its historic January average of 37.9 degrees. Get it? The warmest January ever in BC, no, it hasn't happened before. But it's very likely to happen again. You don't need to go to Alabama to get extreme weather. Texas has been hit with extreme weather, Mexico has been hit with extreme weather, Bangladesh has been hit with extreme weather, and so forth. I don't think I would live near the gulf these days. I'd rather stay high and dry.

Guess swimming next to a nuclear plant is perfectly safe... Don't think I'd go there myself, but seldom swim in the lakes around here either, not exactly crystal clear, like where I grew up. Up until this winter, our weather has been fairly mild these past 4 years or so. 2004 was bad for hurricanes, but pretty much nothing since. We don't get the daily thundershowers, tornadoes are kind of rare these days, still have gotten to see one. Guess I'll have to go to Alabama if I want to witness natures fury. Olympic snow was never a guarantee at such a low altitude, doubt this was the first time they had a dry spell. It happens, I grew up here ski reports daily, the entire year. It really doesn't mean a thing, except bad planning. Sounds like the site was pick more to attract spectators, and not for the competition. All about the dollar (or whatever they use in Canada).

I moved to Florida, to get away from the endless cold weather, and this is just like out west, except no snow. Three months without a break, isn't Global Warming. Still don't know why the Climate guys didn't see this coming. Got a freeze warning for tonight, guess I'll have some more plants to pull up this weekend. Already lost my orange last time, the one they called a 'blip'. Really hope my palm tree pulls through, planted it when it was only 3 feet tall, about 15 feet now. The giant bird-of-paradise looked kind of rough after the last freeze, but seem to come through okay, started it from seed (not easy).

I'm cynical about anthropogenic climate change but why do people seem to confuse weather with climate?

It will always freeze in Florida from time to time, it's just if the climate is getting warmer it would happen less frequently.

If you don't want your plants to die wrap them in fleece, put them in a greenhouse or only grow plants that will tolerate the lowest temperature you've had in the last ten or so years.

It depends on the type of palm, some are are pretty hardy and can grown in the UK.

"It" happens, except winter temperatures as warm as this winter in Canada's BC have NEVER happened. Some seem to not be able to read, so I post this for the third time: This winter has shattered warm records in British Columbia, and the lack of snow is due to this all time high record. The average temperature in January was 44.9 degrees, surpassing any previous year, and much warmer than its historic January average of 37.9 degrees. Get it? The warmest January ever in BC, no, it hasn't happened before. But it's very likely to happen again. You don't need to go to Alabama to get extreme weather. Texas has been hit with extreme weather, Mexico has been hit with extreme weather, Bangladesh has been hit with extreme weather, and so forth. I don't think I would live near the gulf these days. I'd rather stay high and dry.

How far do temperature records go back?

Probably a couple of hundred years at most so you can't say never.

Last edited:
Nope. No misrepresentation of facts. My facts are facts.

For those who may wonder about the facts.
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Seems to me that running at maximum output during a lower river flow time of year without the secondary cooling towers in operation at the time coupled with strict and somewhat restrictive environmental regulations had more to do with it. Plus they did not actually shut down. They dropped their output power back to stay within the regulation requirements. ;)

The thing I have noticed about your "facts" is that your homework is sloppy and always incomplete and your "facts" are heavily biased as well. You got the name of the power plant wrong, the town it located by wrong, the town you referred to is in a different state that has no nuclear power plants, plus the date the events took place was over 3 years ago! And if you swam by it that just raises more questions as to how you got all of that wrong!:confused:
I don't know all of what happened there but they seem to feel rather confident that global warming was not the cause and don't make much mention of it in general. A few casual comments is not solid evidence that global warming is why they shut a nuclear power plant shut down.
Had you just posted links to the articles I would have overlooked all of that being I get names of places and exact recollections of events wrong at times too. :(

I am rather surprised that the rest of the global warming cultists haven't asked you to stop helping their cause by now! :eek:

But hey the skeptics will happily take all the "facts" you can give them any time.
So keep them "facts" of yours coming! :D

Last edited:
Way up here in Canada the squirrels are running around in our fairly warm weather instead of hybernating in the cold and are drinking the sap leaking from my maple tree since the squirrels and the tree think it is spring time. But the stupid Canadian Geese are flying south where it is colder and where there is lots of snow.
Very little snow here this winter.

Way up here in Canada the squirrels are running around in our fairly warm weather instead of hybernating in the cold and are drinking the sap leaking from my maple tree since the squirrels and the tree think it is spring time. But the stupid Canadian Geese are flying south where it is colder and where there is lots of snow.
Very little snow here this winter.

Squirrels don't hibernate; **broken link removed**

Some Canadian geese from Canada winter in Ohio.

Squirrels don't hibernate
They are usually awake and are shivering all winter long??
This winter they are running around, never before.

There are many robins (the birds) flying around this week, never before at such an early date.

Last edited:
For those who may wonder about the facts.
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Seems to me that running at maximum output during a lower river flow time of year without the secondary cooling towers in operation at the time coupled with strict and somewhat restrictive environmental regulations had more to do with it. Plus they did not actually shut down. They dropped their output power back to stay within the regulation requirements. ;)

You must not read the articles you link:

The recent shutdown of a Browns Ferry reactor because of high Tennessee River temperatures was international news

The shutdown dropped Browns Ferry into the middle of the debate. What use is nuclear power if plants become inoperable as global temperatures rise?

High Tennessee River temperatures cause two problems for Browns Ferry. Problem No. 1 involves environmental regulations.

The Unit 2 shutdown, and the power reduction of Units 1 and 3, was made necessary by environmental regulations.

The issues are relevant, however, to the reason Browns Ferry's shutdown received global attention

Leave it to you to try to distort the facts. Fact is: the river water temperature reached a 90 degrees and caused a temporary shutdown, not low water flows. 90 degrees is extreemly hot for the Tennesee River, and temperature so high had never been seen before.
The thing I have noticed about your "facts" is that your homework is sloppy and always incomplete and your "facts" are heavily biased as well.

Not so, read on.
You got the name of the power plant wrong

I issued a correction. You're too damn late with that one, especially since I caught it and you did not.

the town it located by wrong. the town you referred to is in a different state that has no nuclear power plants

You're either blind or dishonest. I did no such thing.

plus the date the events took place was over 3 years ago!

Exsqueeze me? August, 2007 was over 3 years ago? You're the one doing sloppy homework. You can't even get simple time statements correct. And BTW, 2007 was during the time the "skeptics" claimed the Globe was cooling preciptiously.

I don't know all of what happened there but they seem to feel rather confident that global warming was not the cause and don't make much mention of it in general.

The title of your link says a "Heat Wave" caused it.... Heatwave Hmmmmmm....

A few casual comments is not solid evidence that global warming is why they shut a nuclear power plant shut down

I've seen no solid evidence that the Earth is cooling, as being repeatedly claimed.

Had you just posted links to the articles I would have overlooked all of that being I get names of places and exact recollections of events wrong at times too.

I'll try to decide if I can over look all the crap you got wrong, including your dishonest failure to even acknowledge that I made corrections to anything I originally got wrong. It's called lieing by omission. Sure you can understand that since you didn't even know if the Olympics in Salt Lake were in the Summer or Winter. While you're passing out credits for sloppy homework, be sure to save the biggest one for yourself.

I am rather surprised that the rest of the global warming cultists haven't asked you to stop helping their cause by now!

Oh, we're cultist now. I wondered how long it would take you to start name calling. That is all you got, and all you ever have.

But hey the skeptics will happily take all the "facts" you can give them any time.
So keep them "facts" of yours coming!

I'll be happy to. And I'm aware I probably have some typos in this message. There is no need for you do proff read it for typing or spelling. Since I have so many tags, I'm not going to bother to spell check it.

Last edited:
Here are some more **broken link removed** about the reactor shutdown, including statements from TVA spokeman, not 3rd party people giving their own version of the events.

The nation's largest public utility shut down Unit 2 about 5:42 p.m. CDT because water drawn from the Tennessee River was exceeding a 90-degree average over 24 hours, amid a blistering heat wave across the Southeast.

"We don't believe we've ever shut down a nuclear unit because of river temperature," said John Moulton, spokesman for the Knoxville

Two other units at the plant were operating, as well as towers to cool the water. But searing temperatures and a lack of cooler water in the upper part of the Tennessee River system made it too difficult to provide cool water for all three reactors. There was no safety threat posed by the shutdown. Moulton said the average high temperature Thursday was 103 for five of the largest cities in TVA's coverage area: Huntsville and Knoxville, Chattanooga, Memphis and Nashville in Tennessee.

"It's the hottest in 20 years," he said.

Really, there should be no doubt as to the quality of my homework. Others on here, however, are very suspect.

How far do temperature records go back?

Probably a couple of hundred years at most so you can't say never.

Oh OK. Only one time since temperature measurement was invented. Not what I call a common occurance.

So did you waist your whole afternoon working on those replies just because of me? :D
It took me about a minute or so with a cut and paste to find what I found and then link it, accurate or not. What came from it was just a fun little bonus for me! :D

Its also why I dont proclaim myself to be a researcher, scientist, expert of any sorts, or claim my information to be fact either. I pass on what I find to be interesting from my point of view and at best give a quick summery of what I read then move on and let others decide what is true and accurate or false and inaccurate.
I have no idea about most things other than what I have done first hand and thats largely why I post links instead of proclaim that my views are factual and correct.
However I do know that when anyone proclaims that they have all of the the facts and knowledge about climate science I know full well that if they tell me that it dark at night and light in the day I will still double check their work anyway. ;)

Personally I have no idea what went on at the salt lake city Olympics or if they had the summer or winter events there. All I did was a quick search read about the news topics of each of the last dozen or so Olympic games. I dont even remember where any of them where held now being its just not important to me to need to know. I am not a sports person so basically I dont pay any attention to that sort of sports stuff. I cant even tell you what year they where held there without looking it up now and in a few years I probably wont be able to tell you anything about what happened this year. In fact I have not even watched a single event so far. :D

But I know the majority of Canadians sure like the weather they are getting regardless of how and why its happening! :)

By the way your link doesn't even mention global warming but it does mention a drought and a hot spell that wasn't seen in the last 20 years. I tend to assume low water flow coincides with droughts since thats rather normal and hot spells do tend to make everything hotter too, including rivers and non of that is a new event in human history. :D

No, I came in from shopping for materials for my home improvement project and sat down and wrote a pretty quick response to your very inaccurate claims. It didn't take long at all. I don’t know why how much time I spend writing responses is relevant. The topic of discussion is about the climate, not my posting habits. Either way, getting the truth front and center isn't all that hard, really. The article I linked did not say drought had anything to do with the nuclear shutdown, but it clearly and unambiguously said it was the temperature of the river water that was the cause. There is no latitude to spin that into your false "low flow" claim. As usual, when clear and clean facts don't support your preconceive notion, you just substitute some nonsense blather in place of what is cut and dry. It was very unusual high water temperature that caused the shutdown, and nothing else. Those facts are very clear to anyone who has any brain activity at all. The river water temperature was 90 mother-freaking degrees, which is alarmingly high, and at no preceding time had the river temperature been measured that high. What about that is so hard to understand? Good grief, school children can understand it. What particular mental block prevents you from it? It could not be simpler or clearer. I'm just amazed at how little you understand from reading the clearly stated facts.

Last edited:
Its also why I dont proclaim myself to be a researcher, scientist, expert of any sorts, or claim my information to be fact either.
Gee, that was easy. No need for debate then. :D

What particular mental block prevents you from it? It could not be simpler or clearer. I'm just amazed at how little you understand from reading the clearly stated facts.

I thought it was clear by now, its a source issue. :D

Brownout you are by far the most entertaining and educational entity on this forum for me. I have learned far more from following up on your claims than I ever would have otherwise! You have broadened my views, eased my concerns, and opened my mind to concepts I would probably never thought about otherwise. Because of you I feel far more confident in my beliefs than ever before. You have removed almost all doubt about what I had concerns about in the past. ;)

I have on more than one occasion laid awake at night and thought about your comments and what I learned from following up on them and just fell asleep grinning! Very few people can ever do that for me. :)

I am very close to giving you positive rep points even though I find a peer review rating system rather childish. But you never know, some day it could happen! ;)

So good night my friend, I will likely sleep well again tonight. :D

They are usually awake and are shivering all winter long??
This winter they are running around, never before. There are many robins (the birds) flying around this week, never before at such an early date.

Squirrels will "hole up" for a spell during extended bad weather, hence the reason for storing food supplies. But they are often seen sunning themselves on a sunny winter day high up in tree tops. Robins have stayed the winter in my area now for several years. Geese don't fly south either ---- I see them parking their feathered fannies on the lake ice quite often. It doesn't help when bird lovers feed them on a regular basis keeping them in the area and not out on their own. I think we have more geese than songbirds now. Their turds are everywhere and makes for dealing with aerial bombardments and very messy parking lots. People walking to buildings look like they are country line dancing trying to side step their droppings.

Squirrels will "hole up" for a spell during extended bad weather, hence the reason for storing food supplies. But they are often seen sunning themselves on a sunny winter day high up in tree tops. Robins have stayed the winter in my area now for several years. Geese don't fly south either ---- I see them parking their feathered fannies on the lake ice quite often. It doesn't help when bird lovers feed them on a regular basis keeping them in the area and not out on their own. I think we have more geese than songbirds now. Their turds are everywhere and makes for dealing with aerial bombardments and very messy parking lots. People walking to buildings look like they are country line dancing trying to side step their droppings.

Canadian squirrels don't hibernate either, though they do tend to stay indoors more in winter too. At least, those in central B.C. do. In Victoria they don't really seem to notice the difference too much. Then again, Victoria doesn't really get what you'd call "winter".

Torben

So, how much longer before Global Warming starts up again? Are we to expect an usually hot summer this year, to make up for below average temperature this winter? Or are winter temperatures not counted, since they aren't related to warming? Just wondering what the magic climate model has to say about the summer months. The hurricane predictions these past few years haven't been that accurate, last year was way off (fortunately). I need to do some repairs outside my house, but a little short on funds. If it's going to be hot and dry, good time to work up on the roof. Wet and stormy, and I'd better get busy soon. If it's a normal summer, probably just put it off for a while longer...

Weather scientists are just guessing.
They are too stupid to see which way the wind is blowing from and phoning there to see what their weather will be like in the time calculated by the speed of the wind.

They should know that weather occurs in waves. They should be able to predict which years are warm and other years are cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back