Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

German WWII U boat transmitters Low Hz 1000KW

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

I was watching old WWII youtube videos and was wondering how did German U boats 1000s of miles away talk to Germany?

This is very interesting. I would love to see detailed circuit drawings of the Transmitter & receiver with part values & numbers?

I wonder if transmitter was powered by the engine battery bank?

I wonder if the long wire I see in U boat pictures is the antenna?

I was dreaming about this in my sleep last night wondering how they transmitter round earth radius? A 1000KW transmitter is a lot of power.

Online picture shows transmitter powered by 3 90v batteries.

T3.jpg
T2.png
T1.png

Last edited:
Also read up on (British) Rugby radio very low frequency transmission, supposedly could be received up to one fathom under sea anywhere in the world!
Max.

I was watching old WWII youtube videos and was wondering how did German U boats 1000s of miles away talk to Germany?

This is very interesting. I would love to see detailed circuit drawings of the Transmitter & receiver with part values & numbers?

I wonder if transmitter was powered by the engine battery bank?

I wonder if the long wire I see in U boat pictures is the antenna?

I was dreaming about this in my sleep last night wondering how they transmitter round earth radius? A 1000KW transmitter is a lot of power.

Online picture shows transmitter powered by 3 90v batteries that is not 1000KW.

Perhaps you should ty reading the article? - the 1000KW was the land based transmitter.

A 1000KW transmitter is a lot of power.
i think you are confusing the land based transmitter and the radio sets in the U-boats.. the two radios shown in your post are army field radios. here's what the radio room of a u-boat looked like:
uboat-radio-room.jpg

notice all the equipment is bolted down or bolted to the wall, and this picture must have been taken early in the war because the Enigma machine only has 3 rotors...
all of the transmitters used in u-boats were 200w or less:

uboat-equipment-list.jpg

VLF propagates differently, with the space between the surface of the earth and the ionosphere acting somewhat like a waveguide.

Last edited:
I see.

Land base VLF transmitter was 1MW. U boat receiver was VLF.

U boat transmitter 3-30MHz 200W. Is this why I see a whip antenna on some U boat conning tower pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back