Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fishin boat aerator timer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Boncuk,

With a little bit of shifting around of the panel I should be able to get almost double my original space, almost 4 inches in width, 3 inches in height and over 4 inches in depth. So, I should be able to mount the entire circuit, display and controls directly on the panel.

When you say some care needs to be taken when soldering...what do you mean?

As soon as you have all the details worked out, I am ready to start ordering the necessary parts.
I am looking forward to this project. It looks like it will be rewarding and fun to do.

Thank you, Gus

Hi Gus,

I didn't talk about all the features of the circuit yet.

Assuming that the aerator will be battery powered from the boat starter battery I added a battery monitor circuit which might be set to any voltage level (withing limits) making a motor start possible. (I suggest 11.5V at the threshold for safe motor start). The circuit drives an audible alarm circuit which is a buzzer with a self contained oscillator circuit (normally 2.5 to 3.5KHz)

The LCD background light might be set to any convenient level via menu and select buttons, The photo transistor is located in the "menu" button and senses sunlight intensity. With increasing darkness the back light will dim more and more to the level set by the user.

For normal operation the display will show the remaining times for the aerator activation time and the pause time in minutes and seconds. If any value is changed during a cycle the new value will automatically be used in the next cycle if the input has been done using the "INC" and "DEC" button.
If the new values should immediately be effective the "ENTER" button must be pressed. (Resets the down counters and loads the new values, starting with an active cycle)

Talking about proper soldering I just mean not to use a plumber's iron which is used to make gutters and fall pipes, but a temperature controlled iron, a reasonably fine tip (e.g. chisel of 1.5 to 2.5mm) and thin resin (flux) core electronic tin (not thicker than 0.5mm (~0.02"). I use tin of 0.35mm thickness and use it sparingly. Too much tin won't make the joint stronger.

I was invited to a school class where simple circuits were put together off a kit. There was just one circuit out of 24 working at all. The PCBs, although professionally manufactured with solder stop layer looked like a plumber had done his work. :D

Additionally all boards were covered with an ugly dark brown pattern of melted and half way burnt resin leftover.

So I take the mentioned board dimensions of 3.225X2.5" being granted.

Regards

Boncuk

Last edited:
Hi Boncuk,

Most excellent, I get the part about the soldering, OK, no problem. I have access to a temp controlled iron. I also usually like to tin most, if not all of my parts before inserting in a board, if possible, to make the job neater and easier. By the way, if there are any parts that might be affected by pre-tinning, and the heat could be a problem, A- should I heat sink them/ Or B- just install in the board first, then solder in place?...Let me know in the instructions.

the dimensions are GOOD to GO!

I will be anxiously awaiting the parts list and instructions. Hopefully I'll be able to begin this weekend. With your assistance, I believe I can pull this off.

I will take progress pictures as I get things done and post them on the site.

I can't wait to show off my new addition to the boat, to all my fishing buddies.

Best Regards, gus

Hi Gus,

please PM me your email address to forward the Eagle files.

You can download Eagle free at .

Keep a paper copy of the schematic in your records for possible trouble shooting in case of a failed component (which is very unlikely).

To print the schematic select paper size A4 landscape and select your printer after having loaded file "Aerator.sch".

To populate the board use the pdf files I will provide via email.

If you run into problems concerned with the four input keys they are manufactured by ITTCANNON (Microminiature SPDT - DIGITAST)

BTW, all wired components are pre tinned in the manufacturing process.

Regards

Boncuk

Last edited:
Hi Boncuk,

Already in the process of downloading Eagle, and already sent you the requested info via PM.

Thanks, gt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back