Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

feeling like a outsider

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still got my ZX Spectrum 16k ( rubber keyboard )and my ZX spectrum 48K (plastic keyboard) and my ZX Spectrum 128.... Most of the interfaces... Still got my BBC B+... Still got my Archimedes... Still got my Atari ST512... Still got my Amiga 500 with all the extras..

Sad or what!!!

Edit - sorry, I didn't seen the other two pages of discussion before writing this, the topic substantially changed.

-----------------

I spent all my childhood and early adolescence feeling like you. I don't know if you may find my advice useful since I'm from another culture (Latin-American), but here are my two cents if you want them:

I'm extremely grateful with my electronics hobby, first for the countless years of fun that it gave (and still gives to me), and second because it became my income source. On this sea of unemployment were University diplomas are like toilet paper, knowing how to repair electrical and mechanical devices is a TRUE life raft.

But don't go to the extremes, life is not black nor white. Totally submerging in the electronics world isn't a good idea, as it will deprive you from hanging out with people. You are not a PIC designed for only one activity, trying different stuff and talking with people is what keeps you sane. That's why Tom Hanks became friends with a volleyball. But the Volleyball isn't a good substitute, since it cannot teach youn how to sell your ideas, defending your point of view, interacting with coworkers, became a boss. Neither hearing your problems or providing you new ideas.

I'm not saying that you should go and befriend those stupid brats and MTV lovers. But be assured that Picbits didn't found his friends and wife inside a cave or in a container parachuted from the sky. You have to make the first step if you want history to change.

Stop worrying about finding people who loves electronics at the same degree of love and passion that we do, it's like finding a needle on a haystack.

Instead find people that likes other stuff that you may consider interesting, like drawing, music, or certain types of games, whatever you like. I'm pretty sure that they will in return also pay attention to your projects, they will even provide you old parts for experimentation and their help. You can find new unexpected fields for your electronics passion after watching other people's hobbies.

That people will also introduce you their friends, and maybe among them there will be another electronics freak like us. You may also even meet a stunning girl equipped with a real brain and soul. Let's be honest, chances are small, but small is better than zero. Talking to her "in cold" would be scarier than a 500.000 volt powerline, but will also make you feel damn alive.

Beware, of course, of the people that only will like you because you can fix their computer or their appliances. I can name more than 20 of these bast*****, they are pretty abundant.

Maybe I'm wrong, and you are already doing all of this, but the damn lonely feeling persists.

Since this message is pre-recorded I provided an answer in advance: as I said on another thread, it's all about how you sell your hobby. All of us will be delighted with the internals of a 555, but chances are that most people will find it boring because they don't understand or don't care what is it or what it is for.

The thing that no one can resist is watching all these pieces in action. Try projects on which other people can also interact, like your vehicle (diy audio systems), your home (automation),. If your school has public events you can provide a makeshift audio system,b illumination or special effects. If you work on a farm find more ways to produce energy and make work. Keeping the registry of your work on the net will not only serve you to make more connections (and someday even gain sponsorship from big electronic companies), also to organize your mind and trying new challenges.

Man, doing all of this today is not only possible, is easy! back in 2003 our only social tools were a phone, myspace, messenger, and 2 cats we meet on school. We were pretty much doomed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back