Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

feeling like a outsider

Status
Not open for further replies.
i ordered a book from a second hand online bookshop about 10 days ago when i was asking transistor questions, it came today!!! cost 99p and £3 p&p but looks like its never been picked up :D the book is transistor circuit techniques discrete and integrated
third edition by G.J. Ritchie a quick flick through and it looks very heavy on the maths! but i think that will do me good! and i will understand it some day :D for now is enough to glean whatever info i can from it :D

Save something for the Art of Electronics, 3rd. edition by Horowitz and Hill. It is expected in May/June 2014. BTW, if you search it, you will come across a lot of scams. You know, the sort of places where yo are promised a free download of whatever you search for in exchange for a credit card number "just be be sure" you are a real person...

That book is not yet available. The second edition (1989) still is available, but is obviously dated. Authors are often late on doing revisions, but those two guys get the record, maybe next to the Bible. ;)

John
Hi John

I still have the first Edition....Black Cover and all....amazing book of knowledge. Soft cover too from around 1985 onwards..
Good enough for my purposes :):)

Regards,
tvtech

mine is black hardback edition as well :D, i got it for my birthday last year, still cost £30 secondhand!!

i ordered a book from a second hand online bookshop about 10 days ago when i was asking transistor questions, it came today!!! cost 99p and £3 p&p but looks like its never been picked up :D the book is transistor circuit techniques discrete and integrated
third edition by G.J. Ritchie a quick flick through and it looks very heavy on the maths! but i think that will do me good! and i will understand it some day :D for now is enough to glean whatever info i can from it :D

Books are the real teaching/training ground. If the Author has found the money to publish his book....he/she is good to go :)

Unlike the Internet where people guess for fun...

Regards,
tvtech

Authors are often late on doing revisions, but those two guys get the record.

I agree John. I was reading NNTP electronic related newsgroups when one of the H's mentioned in one of them that the third edition was being written. It's been over a decade since I read the NNTP newsgroups.

Don't forget there is a Student Manual for the Art of Electronics, second edition.

artofestudent_MED.jpg

Last edited:
It is very hard to improve on excellence. That is probably why the "Art of Electronics" is such a benchmark that Universities and other learning institutions use it.....

Yes, they got it right from the word go.

To improve on it is the reason that whatever they try will never make it really BETTER. It is and will stay the benchmark....all they will do is try and polish it...

My 1980's version is as good as the latest. No polishing necessary :)

All the basics are there.

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
student manual??? what is in the manual that isnt in the book? or to put it better is it worth ME getting it? because it probably still costs a fortune! alot of the version i have is way over my head for now but slowly bits of it are coming together, i always read it then asks questions here when i try stuff hence all my ask this and that posts :D

Nothing wrong with getting a book that is over your head! It challenges you to work yourself up to its level! :cool:

Also never turn down the opportunity to acquire old and odd technical books either. You may be amazed at what you may learn from some odd tech book you may find in some off the main roads pawn shop, flea market or junk store.

I have a complete set of electrical reference books that were printed around 100 years ago. I found them at a consignment auction place in a little town in Iowa my mom used to live near. I did a quick read when I found them and was willing to bid them up to the $200 cash limit I had on me. I got them for $5. :p

Best books I have ever bought for learning how the old old school engineers did things. No complex math just practical rule of thumb charts and formulas which amazingly give the exact same answers to problems that the modern college level people seem hell bent on convincing everyone they need to use half the alphabet to solve. :D

I'm late in this thread, but I have my say on that:

In this universe, whichever place we stay, no matter what -Land in Europe, or what -Stan in Asia, we humans are normally the herding and the swarming types. That is the fact that we can't evade. But on some places, the herding behaviour may be much stronger, such as some nations in SE Asia. One may be isolated and chastised really quickly there.

To be honest, whatever I was doing and liking did not "match" the ones in my classmates back in the campus days. Unlike my coursemates:

1.) I do not buy expensive gadgets (back then only PDA were the smartphones)
2.) I don't watch EPL (though I did follow a bit of Serie A and the Bundesliga)
3.) I don't play DOTA or those O2-Jam thingy (I'm not a fan of button mashing games)
4.) I don't play badminton (but hit the gym regularly)
[ The irony is, many people play badminton here for the fitness, but then after the course, they had to drink a gallon of sweetened drinks and munch on high-calorie stuff, which defeats the purpose in the end. ]
5.) I don't go clubbing (too dangerous, drunkards always looking for a fight there)
6.) I don't listen to K-pop songs, or not a fan of anime (though I have learned fundamental Japanese for a semester or two outside my school)

But, despite all that, we still share the common traits of a human being. As living in a nation where herding behaviour tends to be much more prominent, I do get a lot of isolation regularly. Some had poked fun of me reading "Microcontroller books", or some even shoved ideas of "me not good enough", but I don't give a damn.

The difference of each people adds colour to the world/universe. If all the humans are the same, the world would be bland and colourless. In the end, learn to love what you are doing, even if people said "it sucks" or "it stinks".

It took me many years, more than I would like to admit, to understand that almost everybody would feel somewhat not fitting the group.

One day you will learnt that most of your classmates / friends were feeling the same albeit they looked as a close and well adjusted group to you.

Because of the education I received I always tried "to fit". Please don't. Time, the sole asset you cannot recover would be spent on that. Do it your way and above all, enjoy.

Life is too short.

Nothing wrong with getting a book that is over your head! It challenges you to work yourself up to its level! :cool:

I agree. I have been criticized for recommending books that are "too advanced". I think that is ********. Books that teach you only the basics (V = RI, or programming books that only covers the syntax etc.) are waste of money. You can find the basics online these days. Buy a book that goes deep in the details and challenges you to learn things that really matter.

Because of the education I received I always tried "to fit". Please don't. Time, the sole asset you cannot recover would be spent on that. Do it your way and above all, enjoy.
Life is too short.

And that atferrari is a very valuable lesson. It catches up with you later in life where you realize you wasted time trying to "fit in" instead of working towards trying to be the very best you can be when you are young.

When you look again, it's almost too late. Age has a sneaky way of catching up on you :wideyed:.

Regards,
tvtech

i buy alot of older secondhand books, i have some good ones by D.C Green from the 70's or 80's i think! (now thats a really long time ago!) before even broadband and most people had a pc :O

i buy alot of older secondhand books, i have some good ones by D.C Green from the 70's or 80's i think! (now thats a really long time ago!) before even broadband and most people had a pc :O
I managed to get my first PC in 1986... It was a brand new Amstrad PC1512... Two 5 1/4 disk drives... I upgraded to a PC1640 about a year later... Installed a full height 10 meg RLL hard drive... Boy I had a cool system....A dot matrix epson printer, a 28k modem... So I could visit BBS's.... A adlib sound card so I could "try" and play games.... Ahh! They were the days..

26 years later.... I think about trying to get hold of one.. You know nostalgia...

dad say's he had a commodore PET 80 (whatever that is) and got it in 1981, then a vic20 (i have seen that in the loft). my first pc was. well i have to borrow mum's or dads laptop or pc :( not allowed my own yet! apparently in case some perv tries to groom me!)
i am getting a bit old to be groomed! maybe next year

It was a brand new Amstrad PC1512...

Believe it or not, I had Amstrad too. Don't remember the model. But I remember I broke a pin on 8087 co-processor when installing it, and I had a hard time repairing it.

This was a huge leap forward from punch cards!

Interesting...my first was a Sinclair Spectrum from Sir Clive..

Had to borrow the folks only/main TV as a Monitor....that pissed my Dad off a lot. Brings back really good stuff though. My Dad and I eventually came to a truce...

Rugby on Saterday's is his.. Or something like that......Then the 711 convergence went for a loop.

So nobody could watch Rugby nevermind play a silly game. Those were the days. Repair shop first thing Monday morning....talking circa 1975 here.

Miss that stuff. And Dad was never cross with me. Because I was a kid.....and TV here was in it's infancy too.

Brings back really good memories :)

Regards,
tvtech

Interesting...my first was a Sinclair Spectrum from Sir Clive..

Had to borrow the folks only/main TV as a Monitor....that pissed my Dad off a lot. Brings back really good stuff though. My Dad and I eventually came to a truce...

Rugby on Saterday's is his.. Or something like that......Then the 711 convergence went for a loop.

So nobody could watch Rugby nevermind play a silly game. Those were the days. Repair shop first thing Monday morning....talking circa 1984 here.

Miss that stuff. And Dad was never cross with me. Because I was a kid.....and TV here was in it's infancy too.

Brings back really good memories :)

Regards,
tvtech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back