Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

"ding dong" IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachtheterrible

I have a friend who has his own business, and wants a little dinger for when someone walks in the door, and a "push button for service" button at the front desk. He wants it wireless too.

I told him "okay, ill just make it go 'beep'", but that wasnt good enough for him, he wants it to go ding dong. So whats the cheapest easiest IC that I can use to make that sound?

Why not just use your circuitry to activate the chimes on a doorbell unit. Most have at least 2 sound circuits with different sequences for Front/ Back. It would have some class and not be too expensive either. Don't build what you can already buy cheap enough.
Dialtone

yeah, thats true, i wonder how much a doorbell is, ill have to check @ home depot or something.

it comes down to whichever one is cheaper. I would imagine an IC would be cheapest though, all you would need is the IC, speaker, and a few extra components.

I like Dialtone's idea, a real door bell unit will sound right. A cheap IC will probably sound more like buzz-buzz instead of ding-dong and Zach's friend won't like it either. Hasn't everyone heard the square waves from the one from RadioShack?

My metal American door bell unit wasn't loud enough. It was two vibrating bars in a box. I replaced it with a Chinese one from Home Depot that has plastic resonant chambers for each vibrating bar. It is much louder than the original one and the ding-dong sounds more pure and fades slower. The original one sounded a bit like clank-clank. :lol:

thanks for all the suggestions, i just have to find the cheapest now, ill let you know what i used when i find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back