Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Change user ranks - fun :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectroMaster

Administrator
Hi Everyone,

Each user profile has a rank which is based on how many posts have been made, currently we have the following user ranks:

Newbie - 0 posts
Electronics Wannabee - 10 posts
Electronics Guru - 100 posts

What do you all think about changing these? They are a bit boring at the moment and I was hoping to get some feedback as to what new ones to add. If you have any suggestions please post them here!

kept what you have, and just add one after Electronic Guro

New names ?

How about ...
Electro Regular - 50 posts ?
Elect Oracle - 500 posts ?
DemiGod - 1000 posts ?

I agree now with Mechie on that. It's pretty hard to go from wannabee to guro. Alot of posts needed in between.

Mechie, did you mean Electro Oracle. That's a good one.

i agree. 10 posts to 100 is a large jump. how about 50 posts without electrocution :D

how bout these;

Electronics Newbie-10-50
Electronics Novice-50-100
Electronics Master-100-200
Electronics Expert-200-500
Electro Oracle-500-1000
Electronics God-1000 and up
:lol:

herbymcduff said:
how bout these;

Electronics Newbie-10-50
Electronics Novice-50-100
Electronics Master-100-200
Electronics Expert-200-500
Electro Oracle-500-1000
Electronics God-1000 and up
:lol:
I can't see why the number of posts should reflect the ability/experience of the poster. For my part, I am classed as a Wannabee! That was indeed the case some 50yrs ago. But in the intervening time I've been there - done it - got the T shirt. Now retired. :p

they are just for fun pebe. That's cool that they are in effect now (the new one's). So if it bothers anyone, just don't pay attention to it. :) :) :D :lol: :p

I agree with herbymcduff! These are purely for fun. And one should not judge any user by his ranks. It is easy to know how much knowledge one has by viewing his posts and quality of replies he gives. What do you think Mr. Pebe?

Well I wrote "Mr." because he is the elder-most member of our forum and we all should respect our seniors.

kinjalgp said:
I agree with herbymcduff! These are purely for fun. And one should not judge any user by his ranks. It is easy to know how much knowledge one has by viewing his posts and quality of replies he gives. What do you think Mr. Pebe?

Well I wrote "Mr." because he is the elder-most member of our forum and we all should respect our seniors.
Yes, kinjalgp. It's easy to sum up capability after reading a few responses. (I hope you are bowing low with a cavalier sweep of the hat when you say "Mr."). Herby.. In spite of what you say about a bit of fun, you contribution in the next 'Basic..' thread belies that.

Seriously though, if you want to attach a description to a poster and you give him a rank like 'newbie' or 'expert' or 'guru' then it should reflect his technical ability. That is the only rule that can apply.

However, if you want it to reflect the number of posts he has made, then give him a more fitting description like 'newcomer' or 'regular contributor' or 'answers everything' or 'He who does not sleep'. :lol:

Silly Titles ?

I'm afraid, after some thought that I agree with Pebe.
If a title is based on how many posts a person makes then maybe they should just be such titles as 'compulsive typist' and 'Forum junkie'.

I know they are meaningless but any newbie will have to come to realise this in their own time as there is no warning of this 'on the packet'!

pebe said:
Herby.. In spite of what you say about a bit of fun, you contribution in the next 'Basic..' thread belies that.

What do you mean by that?

Belies-v-lied, lying-to give a false impression. To show something to be false or wrong.

What did I do Pebe?

Anyway, maybe we could change them to Electro, instead of Electronics. Seems to me people are getting worked up about it.

Everyone should consider all post given by anyone regardless of there rank(if it is in resonable doubt). Someone also should not address the Masters, Experts, etc.., and only ask them for help. What if a newbie knew the answer. But since the author only requested the higher ranks, he doesn't get the oppourtunity to post his knowledge of the subject.

When I first got on here, and labeled as a newbie, then to wannabee, I thought it as a landmark when I actually hit Guru. I knew that It was only going by how many posts you have posted. But it was fun in the process.

On a good day, I can average about 15-20 posts, but you read them, and not all of them pertain to anything really. And I'm labeled as an expert. But I'm by no means an expert yet, because I have only been in this for 6 years.

And I omit what I said before about Gurus knowing what they talk about, the labels don't mean anything about your knowledge in electronics, only by how many post you have. So consider that. If you want to get to a higher rank, post more often if at all possible. Enjoy this site, I do. Don't worry about the small things. Just keep on posting and helping others.

I hope I didn't offend anyone. Sorry if I did.

Okay, I did overlook the fact that new comers would look at peoples rank and associate it with a skill level. The ranks are intended to be a bit of fun so I have once again revised them:

Electro Tech Member 0-10
Electro Tech Wannabe 11-50
Electro Tech Zealot 51-100
Electro Tech Enthusiast 101-200
Electro Tech Addict 201-500
Electro Tech Junkie 501+

I will wait for a few people's opinions before I update the site. Please post your feedback about the new ranks.

well i think that these are just for fun, but when i came here, i thought that the "big guys" were experts, and when i saw i was a newbie i thought that nobody would read my posts, but they did.
maybe a change would not affect so much, but it could also be added somathnig, like a scale from 1 to 10 and each member should judge about where he is, and that wouldnt matter of the number of posts.

I like the new names electromaster. Go with them since everyone else is complaining about the ones we have right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back