Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

C Discharge in to L Circuit; Is Switching FET Adequate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobledoux

I have a 100uf capacitor charged to 100 volts. It is discharged through an nFET with a pulse rating of 36 amps into a coil. The coil values are 4.7 DC ohms measured and 6700uh calculated. The duty cycle is once per minute.

How do I determine if the FET, a FQD12N20L, will handle to current?

For pulse discharges like you're trying to achieve typically an SCR is used not a FET, FAR cheaper and less complicated.

When you simulate it it is about 8 amps for 2 ms, so it's ok for the FETs 10 ms safe operating area.

ronv, what about Vdt Idt? Mosfets have the body diode and substrate parasitic bipolar transistor effect to deal with. There's no high frequency use here, it just SCREAMS use an SCR.

I'm updating an earlier design. The switching FET was a BUZ 32. My updated version needs to use a smaller unit. My FET comes in a D-Pak.

The BUZ 32 has VDS=200V; ID=9.5A, RDSon 0.4ohms.

You are dealing with about a half-joule, which gives you around 12 amps peak through the coil, and about a 2.5ms half-cycle for that RLC combo. If you look at the SOA curve (Safe Operating Area) for the FQD12N20L, that's slightly outside the lines. I would go with a bigger driver.

A simple low power low current N channel fet could easily be used to trigger an SCR. You'd only need the nfet a single resistor and the SCR. The only caveat is you haven't mentioned if this application requires the ability to terminate the discharge BEFORE it's complete, an SCR can't do that, a directly connected NFET can. Again typically in these situations the voltage of the capactior is altered to control the output pulse's total power, just easier that way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back