Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best electrically conducting epoxy for bonding 2 pzt layers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

szzuk

I need to glue two layers of PZT together to make a stack. The PZT is fairly ordinary in that they are rings with a silver screen print on the top and bottom face. They need to be bonded face to face with an epoxy resin.

The sliver laden epoxies I've tried simply don't bond the layers well enough even when heat cured. So I need a different epoxy. Which would you suggest?

Google: conductive adhesive manufacturers
Then call or email their engineering people explaining your unique problem.

Ken

It is not clear what the epoxy specifications need to be. Why does it need to be an epoxy? How did the epoxy fail? What is the maximum temperature the adhesive needs to withstand? Which epoxy did you use? Have you considered using just pressure to hold the devices together? What about a very-low temperature solder?

John

Woods metal? (melting point 70C, 158F).

I can only find a silver laden epoxy by Rite Lok (SL65) and something similar by Chemtronics. There seems to be nothing else available - apart from these two formulations. So I would consider any electrically conductive epoxy. It is odd that there appears a lack of this type of adhesive.

An epoxy is prefered because I put the adhesive on by hand, and a single mistake will end up gluing the pzt so it can't move. An epoxy resin can be taken off with white spirit. The PZT is being glued to PZT. There are two failure modes, either the bond isn't strong enough and the two layers of pzt split, or the silver laden epoxy melts when I put the volts up.

Apparently, you are trying to couple the two PZT's serially, so to speak. I am not surprised the epoxy melted and/or failed to hold. Have you calculated the acceleration forces involved? At what temperature do you need eventually to operate?

How about saying a little about what you are trying too do? There may be other approaches to coupling the outputs of multiple PZT's.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back