Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audio Switchbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

2camjohn

I have a class T amplifier that I wish to link up to both my PC and my television.

But I dont know alot about audio circuits. I have quite a alot of experience designing digital circuits with PIC micricontrollers.

The last thing I want is to destroy the good fidelity produced by the amplifier by ruining the signal through a poor switchbox first.

Something that automatically detected which input is in use would suit me best, but Im open to any suggestions.
I was even thinking of plugging the output of the TV into the computer, and using that to switch the signal.

So my question is:
What is the best way to design an audio switchbox? Just a few mechanical switches? Something more complex? Or should I use the PC??

What do I need to be aware of when I design this, that may affect the quality of my audio??

Many Thanks
John

2camjohn said:
I have a class T amplifier that I wish to link up to both my PC and my television.

But I dont know alot about audio circuits. I have quite a alot of experience designing digital circuits with PIC micricontrollers.

The last thing I want is to destroy the good fidelity produced by the amplifier by ruining the signal through a poor switchbox first.

Something that automatically detected which input is in use would suit me best, but Im open to any suggestions.
I was even thinking of plugging the output of the TV into the computer, and using that to switch the signal.

So my question is:
What is the best way to design an audio switchbox? Just a few mechanical switches? Something more complex? Or should I use the PC??

What do I need to be aware of when I design this, that may affect the quality of my audio??

The simply answer is mechanical switches, or relays - although as it's only for PC or TV the quality required isn't terribly high!. You could happily use CMOS switch IC's (properly connected!) and you wouldn't notice any difference!.

For switching audio circuits mechanically, I always use switches or relays with gold-plated contacts. They cost only pennies more, sometimes less than huge tarnishing silver contacts.
The silver ones rely on a spark to clean off the tarnish. Audio usually doesn't make a spark and tarnish causes severe distortion or no sound.

if the pc is going to be on when the tv is then just put the tv into the pc and output the pc to the amp. else switchs. relays are handy for complicated setups but urs is far from that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back