Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audio microphone multicore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

Hey,

i want to get a multicore coz its too expensive to buy, so does anyone know what kind of wire? is it just heaps of standard 2 core shielded wire inside one fat insulation? anyone have any good ideas for the outer insulation coz 30meters of heatshrink will also cost a lot!!

Thanks

Josh.

A proper microphone cable which is a twisted pair of wires, a shield and a synthetic rubber jacket isn't expensive. Maybe you priced cable designed for something else?
Expensive cables are flame-proof and if burned, are self-extinguishing. Ordinary mic bables burn like mad. Just don't set them on fire!

audioguru said:
A proper microphone cable which is a twisted pair of wires, a shield and a synthetic rubber jacket isn't expensive. Maybe you priced cable designed for something else?

I think you're thinking of something completely different?, it looks to me like he's wanting to make a 'snake', a multicore balanced extension box for stage use (I'd like one too!).

As for microphone cable not being expensive, it looks pretty expensive to me! - at least for any worth having!.

Making your own:

30m snake - 12 in, 4 out, so you need 16x30m of balanced cable (480m). Decent cable will be at least £1.00 per metre (usually more), so £480 worth of cable!.

A commercial snake won't use cable of that quality, and it will be a LOT thinner, and consequentially a lot cheaper than that.

Yeah, multi-path cable used in snakes to get from the stage to the mixing console is expensive compared to ordinary mic cable.

Surely just a cat-5 cable from the equipment on-stage to a laptop at the sound-man's location is frequently used for gigs today.

audioguru said:
Surely just a cat-5 cable from the equipment on-stage to a laptop at the sound-man's location is frequently used for gigs today.

Not as far as I know?, and certainly not for the vast majority of bands - it would be far too expensive. It may be available?, but I've never seen it.

Not to mention, it probably wouldn't be too good at handling the abuse band gears gets :lol:

Yeah I forgot. Bands still use valve-amps from the dark ages. :cry:

audioguru said:
Yeah I forgot. Bands still use valve-amps from the dark ages. :cry:

I don't use valves! - don't like them! - although they are popular these days with people with more money than sense :lol:

For my daughters band, the PA is Behringer 400W+400W class D, with a Behringer 120W bass combo, and a Fender 60W keyboard combo (used for guitar).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back