1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

arduino 2009 crystal oscillator

Discussion in 'Arduino' started by snaggy, Jun 9, 2010.

1. snaggy

snaggy New Member

On my arduino 2009 board I have a spk16.000Y crystal.
    I need to assemble another custom arduino board, and I'd like to know if any 16mhz crystal is fine (for example the HUS-16.000-18-30/50/4085) and if 22p capacitor are fine or they dipend on the crystal (I doubt it, they should depend on the frequency)

thanks

2. iard

iard New Member

I used 16MHz quartz (normal size, or miniature size) from different suppliers without any problems. Any 22pF ceramic capacitors will do.

3. Sceadwian

Sceadwian Banned

Quartz crystals can actually be cut in so many ways it hurts to think about it, but if you buy a 16mhz crystal from any supplier there's a REALLY REALLY good chance (unless you're paying 100-200% over normal cost) that the crystal you'll use will work just fine. The main thing you have to look out for is series vs parallel resonant crystals. I've never seen a parallel resonant crystal 'in the wild' so to speak, or if I did I didn't recognize it.

4. dave

Dave New Member

5. magnatro

magnatro New Member

i have used a 16.*something* with the board and it worked perfectly...!!

6. tytower

tytower Banned

This will just complicate things but it should be made clear that any frequency crystal can be used but it means a change to the bootloader . Not terribly difficultanyway

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010