Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Young people these generation are dumb stupid idiot morons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moron: What about those that allowed the tensioning the Florida pedestrian bridge with traffic under it?
Or the self drive car... Lets not forget about that!!! Not very Uber careful...

A comment about the self driving car without a steering wheel. I saw a concept car in a magazine recently.
Question: How do you tow it? i.e. Push it out of a parking space in say a strip mall if you can't steer the thing?

A comment about the self driving car without a steering wheel. I saw a concept car in a magazine recently.
Question: How do you tow it? i.e. Push it out of a parking space in say a strip mall if you can't steer the thing?
You don't need a steering wheel to tow do you? Just a gearshift?

There are many slang expressions but there are only two types of low voltage wall bricks with an AC plug and a small barrel connector on a cord.

1) AC transformers
2) DC power supply for many ratings and applications.

The only ones I buy these days are universal 19.2V which I use to power all the stripLEDs in my back yard on a long AWG16 housewire conduit and 6 port USB 2.4A port hub chargers.

Last edited:
You don't need a steering wheel to tow do you? Just a gearshift?

Usually, "they" back the car out by pushing and turn it perpendicular to the parking spaces. The lift tow truck is pretty long with the bed extended and angled. It's also parked perpendicular to the spaces.Then you connect a winch to the car and pull it onto the slanted bed.

Cars with no power, do have a mechanical means of disengaging the "shift lock" or the one that is electrically released when you push on the brake so you can put the car in neutral. In my vehicle, there is a 1 cm square cover that needs to be popped off to access the mechanical release. The key in the ignition allows the steering wheel to be free, but without power assist.

Tow truck operators can be artistes when you watch them at their craft.
There's an old guy I know, who could almost strike your lighter with a wrecked vehicle, without your hand moving....whilst looking at you and holding a conversation.

Your stupid grandson was asking why you needed one so he could hand you one from his backpack with the right voltage, current limits, connector and safety rating.

I hope your grandson logs in next week to see that some of us don't think he was the stupid half of that conversation.

Also, as an engineer or pragmatic person, I hope you realize that your time would have been much better spent to just come out and answer his question - it is a lot easier and faster than trying to NOT answer his questions AND posting this rediculous Rant to tell us why you didn't answer his question (and still not telling us why you needed the device.

Wait, ....
I understand the reason for your secret now. Did you buy something that arrived in an unmarked brown package -and the seller didn't include an adapter?

Or, maybe if you told your grandson you were looking for a nice heavy one so you could use it to to crack walnuts, he may have offered another solution.

Grandson is very good at not answering the question, we have been trying to teach him to stop doing that. Wife said, we need to buy milk next time we go to the store. Grandson said, WHY? Wife said, Why do you think YOU drank all the milk. He is actually a lot smarter than anyone would think. He is amazed at the electronic project I build but not interested in learning electronics. He is not a hands on person and has not decided what to do with his life yet. I keep telling him to make good grades in high school so you do good on the ACT test for college or trade school. He likes to hang out with me because I have so much interesting stuff in the work shop and a library of technology books, science, physics, chemistry, electronics, gardening, guns, explosives, fireworks, camping, hiking, steam engines, steam locomotives, hot air engines, amateur radio, welding, engines, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, electroplating, Liquid fuel rocket engineering, Hot Rods, travel, bicycles, lots of electronic books, etc. Grandson mentioned EMPs so I asked him questions it had all the answers but had no clue that we could build an EMP maker until I showed him the one that I built it will kill any electric device within 3 ft. He likes looking at all the projects I have, he wants to know what they are and see some run but he will not come to the shop with I fire up a rocket engine or jet engine or anything that makes loud noise. I give him ear protectors & he leaves if I turn on the table saw. He has fun seeing now many holes he can drill in a board with the drill press. He has to more years of high school until he graduates. He pulled several books from my library and read them all cover to cover. He asked me now to make a cone fuel sprayer for a liquid fuel rocket engine after I showed him he said, OH that easy now that I see how it is done. Then he wants to know why they are not used in car engines, motor cycles, lawn mowers so I had to explain it. He sure is good at picking things up quick.

Last edited:
Grandson is very good at not answering the question, we have been trying to teach him to stop doing that. Wife said, we need to buy milk next time we go to the store. Grandson said, WHY? Wife said, Why do you think YOU drank all the milk. He is actually a lot smarter than anyone would think. He is amazed at the electronic project I build but not interested in learning electronics. He is not a hands on person and has not decided what to do with his life yet. I keep telling him to make good grades in high school so you do good on the ACT test for college or trade school.

Probably management material then? :D

Mickster You should be in the truck when their driving in a big city like Philadelphia. I had to be towed and the driver had to pull someone else out of a hole/hill in a church parking lot. Very quick.
So, he was carrying my car; responding to another call and winching her out of a bad situation.

I keep telling him to make good grades in high school so you do good on the ACT test for college or trade school.

Where's the connection between the two? I had terrible grades in school yet scored way high on such tests and I know people who were A++ kids all through school and college yet now years later as adults they are useless and have rather poor jobs for it. All grades and no real world functional skills. :(

As for getting into college, if the kid can get money he can go pretty much anywhere now. They don't care what your grades or anything else are or were anymore. You got money for them they let you in. That's the only standard of entry he has to meet.

Too bad your grandson has such a dick for a grandfather.

I think it has more to do with the combination of the wide generation gap/age thing and personality clashes.

As someone who falls at the midpoint age area between kids and retiree's I see a lot of the issues each has with the other and the validity in their views. The problem is neither of them sees it from their perspectives.

Kids are too young to know better, for a multitude of reasons, and lack such a vast amount of life experience and adult level cognitive capacity that they simply can't relate to those who have been putting up with life for decades, while those who have been putting up with life for decades have long forgotten what useless and stubborn PITA's they actually were at the begining and middle of their own lives.

Now as a third person spectator, looking at the limited info on the kid, plus adding less than fruitful experiences I have had of having tried to work with gary350 on a number of his projects, only to be utterly ignored, I can take a pretty good educated guess that the little acorn didn't fall too far from grandpa's tree. :p

Grandson is very good at not answering the question, we have been trying to teach him to stop doing that. Wife said, we need to buy milk next time we go to the store. Grandson said, WHY? Wife said, Why do you think YOU drank all the milk. He is actually a lot smarter than anyone would think. He is amazed at the electronic project I build but not interested in learning electronics. He is not a hands on person and has not decided what to do with his life yet. I keep telling him to make good grades in high school so you do good on the ACT test for college or trade school. He likes to hang out with me because I have so much interesting stuff in the work shop and a library of technology books, science, physics, chemistry, electronics, gardening, guns, explosives, fireworks, camping, hiking, steam engines, steam locomotives, hot air engines, amateur radio, welding, engines, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, electroplating, Liquid fuel rocket engineering, Hot Rods, travel, bicycles, lots of electronic books, etc. Grandson mentioned EMPs so I asked him questions it had all the answers but had no clue that we could build an EMP maker until I showed him the one that I built it will kill any electric device within 3 ft. He likes looking at all the projects I have, he wants to know what they are and see some run but he will not come to the shop with I fire up a rocket engine or jet engine or anything that makes loud noise. I give him ear protectors & he leaves if I turn on the table saw. He has fun seeing now many holes he can drill in a board with the drill press. He has to more years of high school until he graduates. He pulled several books from my library and read them all cover to cover. He asked me now to make a cone fuel sprayer for a liquid fuel rocket engine after I showed him he said, OH that easy now that I see how it is done. Then he wants to know why they are not used in car engines, motor cycles, lawn mowers so I had to explain it. He sure is good at picking things up quick.

Some people are ok knowing how a nozzle is made, a hole is drilled, a dado or whatever.

Other people need to have a complete project in their hands and say, "hey family, look what I made" and hope for validation (a pat on the head) from their friends and family to assume themselves that they are a smart/cleaver/talented... Apparently friends and family get a bit bored with each additional project so you jump from electronics to... "gardening, guns, explosives, fireworks, camping, hiking, steam engines, steam locomotives, hot air engines, amateur radio, welding, engines, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, electroplating, Liquid fuel rocket engineering, Hot Rods, travel, bicycles, lots of electronic books, etc"

Where's the connection between the two? I had terrible grades in school yet scored way high on such tests and I know people who were A++ kids all through school and college yet now years later as adults they are useless and have rather poor jobs for it. All grades and no real world functional skills. :(
Reminds me of a story..

Two kids at school.. One dumb, one smart.. Years later at a school reunion, The dumber of the two rolled up in a limo, as the smart one looked on..

"Wow you seem to have done well" Said the smart one.
"Yes.. I became a scrap dealer, I'm doing good!" said the dumb one. "How are you doing?"
"I'm a lawyer now... But I though you couldn't read or write!" exclaimed the smart one.
"Don't need to... I pay people like you to do that." said the dumb one..

My 2c ... Creative minds do seem to be like a ping pong ball in a bucket, and sometimes find it difficult to explain their thought process, we had UNIX people in our office , they were smart and dumb at the same time .

We are all tough to think inside the box. We go to school and read from the same books. Teachers learned from the same college. The average person seldom thinks outside the box. Our first reaction to someone that is doing things different is to tell them to stop that. When I worked a full time job it was always best to think outside the box that was how the best ideas were borned. Never copy what other people do, learn from what they do. Grandson is a very smart kid it is amazing he read a dozen of my technical books in a few weeks and understands what he read. I ask home technical questions where you need to use formulas to calculate the answer he did not learn that part of the books he basically learned all the general knowledge of the books that was all he wanted to know. He can talk to me about, chemistry, biology, electronics, physics like a college student or teacher. When he kept saying, why do you want that, when I was looking for that box of transformers I should have stopped an talked to him a minute to find out why he thinks like that. At that moment I was frustrated like crazy I know the box of transformers was there I had been looking for 45 minutes after getting a good flash light I found them. I found 3 transformers 12 vdv each and like someone mentioned, 1 was heavy, 1 was lighter weight, the other 1 felt like the plastic case is empty inside but they all produce 12 vdc 1a. I am tempted to take the hollow 1 apart to see what is inside. We moved to a newer house 2 years ago I have a larger workshop 4 times larger that before 30'x50' building I have been slow to get organized. It is more fun to get a little bit organized just enough to play with projects. I still need to build more shelves and get things in order.

Click this link. Kids are born scientists.

Last edited:
Reminds me of a story..

Two kids at school.. One dumb, one smart.. Years later at a school reunion, The dumber of the two rolled up in a limo, as the smart one looked on..

"Wow you seem to have done well" Said the smart one.
"Yes.. I became a scrap dealer, I'm doing good!" said the dumb one. "How are you doing?"
"I'm a lawyer now... But I though you couldn't read or write!" exclaimed the smart one.
"Don't need to... I pay people like you to do that." said the dumb one..

Some good friends of mine actually own a huge scrap yard and savage business and the old man who started it 50+ years ago is literally that guy. Barely literate but crazy good with applied practical mathematics and dealing with people despite being old man everyone in town is half scared of because he speaks his mind and doesn't care what others think of him. :cool:

Classic junkyard dog personality, Wag his tail while growling, and very few ever catch the wagging tail giveaways to what he's really thinking and thusly why they find him so intimidating and scary. ;)

Foster grandson is gone. Father got out of prison & has a minimum wage job government can save money sending him back to his father. Mother abandon him 2 years ago they still don't know where she is. Only 4 weeks from the end of school that sucks. He will probably never get to return to school. When he turns 18 he will probably be homeless father & government are not responsible for him anymore. He was interested in my electronic projects & my workshop but I don't think it was anything he ever wanted to do as a job. We live in a country that will not take care of its own people all it cares about is following the Law & saving money. In the long run it will probably cost the government a lot more money not letting a person get educated so they get a good job to stay off welfare. It was sad to see him go he was in a very depressed mood. Is this what makes people turn to a life of crime?

So sorry to hear that Gary, how old is the lad?
They could've at least given him the 4 weeks to finish up at school.

OK
As one of the younger ones on here :D, let me enlighten you as to why young people try to do you a favor and ask you why...........

As all young people know, old fossils get stuck in a time warp. Show them a smart phone and ask them to snap chat a message to someone because its free, and they stare at you blankly. Or as was mentioned recently (no offense Ron i promise :D), ask them to set up a r pi headless. Again you get a blank stare, SOOoo we ask WHY you want X or Y, because its highly likely there maybe some 19th-21st century device that can do the job better for you!

If someone asked me for a wooden wheel i would ask why, when they replied it was for there cart because the horse cant pull it with the broken wheel, i would drive them into town and show them some metal wheels with rubber on :D..

All tongue in cheek obviously :p, i mean most you fossils are upto the 20th century almost anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back