Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Yet Another IRDA Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuba

right, here's the deal. I have a sony digital camera (DSC-F2) which was bought in Japan about 6 years ago and with it came no data cable. the camera does however have irda and composite video out ( the way i'm currently extracting pictures from the camera :/ )

so, rather that using the composite video output as my primary means of extracting pics (which losses a lot of quality along the way) i would like to build a irda device for my computer. i know there are numerous posts on various forums about this topic but after some heavy trawling, i am still unsure of the device i should build.

after a few hours of searching i have, however, learnt that my camera transfers pictures over the irda using IrTran-P, so the device that i'm looking to build must be able to support that. my current mobo does not have a irda connection which adds yet another issue to my problem.

so, does anyone know of a irda device that i can build for the serial port that supports the IrTran-P specification?

I've never heard of IrTran-P, but I doubt the possibility of using the serial port to transfer video data - it simply isn't anywhere near fast enough.

The usual method with digital video cam-corders is to use Firewire, you could simply install a card in your computer (a lady who works in the shop here, did it herself for a Sony cam-corder) and use a Firewire lead (which actually came with the card).

She already had the Sony software to load on the computer (it came with the camera, along with a USB lead for transferring still pictures), and it all went very easily and with no problems at all.

I think the IRDA on the Sony cam-corders is intended to connect to other Sony equipment - certainly one use is to view the output on a TV via a Sony 'Laser-Link' adaptor instead of using cables. I don't know if it could be used to a PC or not.

i agree that irda is probally not the best way to transfer video data (although you can get up to 4Mb/s transfers on irda) but the camera that i have is in fact a digital still camera and not a video camera. sorry about the ambiguity of my post.

what i meant is that currently i'm using the camera's composite video output to connect to a jvc multimedia printer that captures still frames from it's composite/s-video input. once the printer has captured the frame i then transfer the frame over the parallel cable to the pc. so the pictures goes throught two DA and AD conversions. this is a right mission and i need a device that can communicate with the camera's irda so that it can transfer the still images off the camera to the pc. this is done by the irda's own picture transfer specification IrTran-P (google search returns pdf in first five results).

Right, I've just been checking the details for a DSC-F1 (I don't have anything on an F2 - so it's probably not a model that was ever available in Europe) - it includes an RS232C data output socket, but using a special connector. The IR is listed as working from 9600 baud up to just over 1 Mbaud.

Does your motherboard not have an IRDA connector on the board?, most recent ones do - you then just need to get the actual IRDA hardware to plug in to it.

the dsc-f1/f2/f3 are all very similar cameras. i think the only difference between them all is that they were produced in different countries.

my camera does have a special connector on the side, most definatly for rs232 but i've given up on that option as south africa does not have the f1/2/3 camera range. if i could somehow get hold of the cable that would be the most ideal solution but irda also has it's benefits in that i can use it for other applications.

as far as the irda connector on my mobo is concerned, i'm not actually sure. i will have to look when i get home, but i don't remember there being one (but i hope there is)

right, checked my mobo and to my delight there is in fact an ir connector. this will no doubt simplify my problem. now all i need to find is a circuit for a ir module that uses the HSDL-1001 irda transceiver. i would have built this (http://www.meblin.karoo.net/) module but sadly in south africa i can not get hold of the TFDS4500.

the datasheet (mode13.za.net/electronics/datasheets/HSDL1001.pdf) for the HSDL1001 does have an application circuit so i thought i'd give that a try unless someone more knowledgeable thinks it won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back