Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Xray of a motorcycle fuel enrichment device

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcw

Just wondering what you guys think is in this device.

It claims to be a fuel enrichment device that alters the signal from the temperature sensor of the motorcycle. Not unusual but the website claims the device ALSO senses rpms (with no rpm input) and alters the voltage from the temp sensor only on rapidly changing rpms (acceleration).

Attachments

• FRK x1 (3).jpg
    FRK x1 (3).jpg
    437.7 KB · Views: 335
That device is fairly simple. I don't see how it can detect engine revs with any accuracy. There are devices that measure engine revs from alternator ripple, but they are much more complicated than that.

I can't work out what the diamond shape just to the left of centre is. It looks a bit like a TO220 transistor but I can't see any leads for it.

I hope this helps.

Attachments

• xray_annotated.jpg
    xray_annotated.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 219
Without a tachometer input, a device could sense the alternator/magneto ripple presence in the supply lead and interpret that ripple as speed input with a proper circuit.
The enrichment part is a fact; altering the resistance the ECU -engine control unit- sees from the temperature sender can trick the mixture response.

Thanks for all the input. Trying to figure out if this is false advertising or not.

I'm aware of the alternator ripple measurements. Tesla's gtech has been using this type of measurement for their performance meter for years. I was hoping this device did the same thing, but it doesn't look promising.

POWER FRK
**broken link removed**

Its a fairly common thing to intercept and slightly modify sensor signals (usually O2 sensors) in order to fool ECM systems into delivering more fuel in order to richen up the A/F ratio for more power and better economy.

Yes a little richer A/F ratios makes better power and mileage not worse.
Read upon fuel quenching effects or talk to the old timer hod rod guys for the full explanation. ;)

Last edited:
I'm also familiar with enriching the a/f mixture by altering the temp signal to read colder than it really is. And that MAY improve power. (Or may not depending on the stock mapping)

BTW, it basically only plug inline with the stock air temp sensor. No other connections made. I don't see how it could change O2 sensor readings.

My concern is with this...
**broken link removed**

The bike's electrical system uses pulsing alternating current and not DC as you might think.

Measuring the semi-waves of the AC allows to know the engine's RPM. The POWER FRK reads the RPMs and based on that operates when the RPMs are increasing and it doesn't operate while the RPMs are flat or decreasing.
The Power FRK measures the pressure's variation of the air box, amplifying the values read by the air temperature sensor only while the throttle is open.

When the throttle is closed or at steady state, the POWER FRK stands by, leaving the original engine's mappings unchanged.

That mechanism makes the engine work at the best regardless the temperature's conditions, latitude or altitude, since it adjusts the correct values automatically.

The default engine mappings of Euro 3 engines change the fuel-air mixture ratio and ignition timing based on the air temperature, producing more power and torque when the air's temperature is lower.

The "cold" engine mappings used by the POWER FRK are active only during throttle aperture, making the fuel-air mixture richer and increasing the ignition timing.

All that improves the thermodynamic efficiency and the performances of the engine at the expense of the values of the Euro 3 regulations. Because of that the POWER FRK provides more power and more torque without increasing the gasoline consumption and it works automatically without requiring complex settings or calibrations.

Last edited:
The POWER FRK reads the RPMs and based on that operates when the RPMs are increasing and it doesn't operate while the RPMs are flat or decreasing.
The circuit in the Xray doesn't look complex enough to do this. Mind you, I'm not an expert on reading Xrays, so I may be missing something subtle.

I don't plan on profiting from it. I just want to be sure I;m not getting scammed. How is that immoral? Is it immoral for someone to sell a product that doesn't do what they claim?

I would advise you return it and get your money back - you may not be a victim of a scam as it does seem to do as described but have you given any thought to how your engine will react with excessive fuel enrichment and timing advance?

The air intake temperature is monitored because it's important to how your engine will react. If this box fools the ECU into believing the air intake is cooler than it is, it will advance the ignition to possible unsafe levels which could lead to detonation = bye, bye pistons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back